Nicklas Bäckström makes the Swedish WC roster

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
helicecopter said:
Thanks Predatore, these comments are appreciated! Keep them coming for the next games..

One question:
at this point in time, what percentage would you assess for Backstrom to be selected for the WCH team?

From 30%, I'd say the chance he makes the Swedish WC team is closer to 60-70%, after having watched three euro hockey tour games with Bäckström.

Offensively he has been decent (not more, really), defensively he has been good (very good shorthanded and he has been used a lot in shorthanded situations). Basically at age 18, he looks like a 30-year old veteran.

Wovenhand76

Mar 3, 2006
Sweden
I can't agree more. amazing that he's only 18 years old. B-Ã… even used him when the Swedes were shorthanded 3-5 against the Russians yesterday, and he played great.

Btw, semin's first goal yesterday. :handclap:

Bruinster*

is it me or the guy seem a bit overated lately ? I know my Bruins can draft him and i'll be very happy, But from what i heard lately i don't understand why he's not the first overall ? :sarcasm:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
golleafsgo_17 said:

It's a matter of opinion, but i put Toews #2 on my list(EJ #1).

Bruinster said:
is it me or the guy seem a bit overated lately ? I know my Bruins can draft him and i'll be very happy, But from what i heard lately i don't understand why he's not the first overall ? :sarcasm:

I guess most are basically going on the feeling he will most likely be the guy left at #5. Hopefully the Bruins fee the need to draft somebody letting him fall to #7 and my Islanders:P

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
IMO, Backstrom seems to be a guy that I would pick very high. Johnson goes first, Kessel goes second, and Backstrom goes third. He seems like a very safe pick, he's already playing in a man's league and shows a good overall game and two way ability. He plays power play and penalty kill, and I guess since I'm a Toronto fan, he's Swedish :) I compare him to Alexander Steen at the same age and there's really no comparison, Steen is nowhere near his level and Steen had a decent rookie season this year and finished 9th in rookie scoring.

Maybe I am overrating him, but he's my pick before Toews or Staal.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
Bäckström has cracked the 26 man roster that will travel to Riga.

http://www.swehockey.se/files/{17036B19-E6FC-4A4E-8BB4-987908B34875}.pdf

They are however only allowed to name 20 skaters for the first round, so he is not in the clear just yet.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
He has made the Swedish WC roster, although it is not certain he will play. Personally, I am pretty sure he'll be named for Sweden's opening game (unless all of a sudden 4-5 NHLers join).

Tonight Bäckström will play the Euro Hockey Tour final against Russia. A very talented Russian team with the likes of Malkin, Ovechkin and Semin.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Jovofan said:
Who would be a better fit in Chicago: Backstrom or Toews?
Toews to any team who doesn't have a big power 1st line center, so practically every team except Philly and Aneheim, cause they have Carter and Getzlaf. Toews would look great centering that first line with Ruutu centering the 2nd.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Bruinster said:

The guy is a real sure thing. Though I can understand that its easy to misunderstand what people are saying about him. I don't think anyone thinks he is on the same level as Ovechkin/Crosby/Kovalchuk and co. But how often are there even guys like that in a entire draft, once every 3-4 year?

After seeing Towes and Kessel in the WJC I personally defenitly thinks its reasonable to mention Bäckström with thoose names. If beeing better then Kessel, Johnsson and Towes means that you are the 1st overall pick is one thing (and thats what we are talking about), saying that Bäckström is the next Forsberg or deserves to be mention with Crosby/Ovechkin is another issue. I am pretty sold on that Bäckström will become as good as Alfredsson and Zetterberg. He is looking really good. But don't take it the wrong way, I would never suggest to someone that Bäckström should go over Kessel if Kessel will become as good as Modano or that he should go ahead of Johnson if Johnson can become the next Bourque. Though, of the three, I've only seen enough of Bäckström lately to give a judgment on him. But I've seen enough of the rest to be sure that its not unreasonable to mention Bäckström right up there with the best.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Agree with Ola. Bäckström is no wonder kid who will transform the team he plays for to a force like Crosby and Ovechin both can. He isnt maybe some one who will get you up of your seat with big hits and wonder goals even do he sure can deliver both but he is a solid 2 way player with an amazing vision. And his vision is amazing even when compared with older guys so one can only guess how good he will see the game and set up play or break up play when he have more games to his name. There might be players in this draft who will turn out to be better then Bäckström but he is already a safe bet. But I dont think he will turn out to be like Alfredsson, he dont have the speed or the eye for goal that he have. As been said he is more like Zetterberg or in some ways Forsberg but he aint the new Forsbeg so lets just end the comparision with Peter. Bäckström him self said he plays like Jörgen Jönsson and that he look at how Zetterberg plays to learn.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Bäckström just scored a goal on Team Russia. Tied the game to 1-1 in power play. :handclap: His first senior goal in his 5th game.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
johnny_rudeboy said:
Bäckström him self said he plays like Jörgen Jönsson and that he look at how Zetterberg plays to learn.
Bleh. That was just a short interview and he said they had similar style(hence they are both centers) But Bäckström has 1. helluva lot better hands and better overall potential regarding the offensive aspect of the game than Jönsson. 2. He is definately a bigger talent than Zetterberg. There is no question about that. He is somewhere in between of Forsberg and Zetterberg.

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
An Ape called Yoko said:
No. Give him another season in Brynäs and then he will be ready for the NHL. No point in playing in AHL - when is already playing as a firstline center in a SEL-team.

True. Though, I still believe that a year in the AHL, if he gets top two line and PP time, would be great for him.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
An Ape called Yoko said:
Bleh. That was just a short interview and he said they had similar style(hence they are both centers) But Bäckström has 1. helluva lot better hands and better overall potential regarding the offensive aspect of the game than Jönsson. 2. He is definately a bigger talent than Zetterberg. There is no question about that. He is somewhere in between of Forsberg and Zetterberg.

Nothing wrong with being compared to Jörgen Jönsson, 200+ games for Tre Kronor, 2 Olympic golds, 2(?) world cup golds and 4 SEL championships among many finals. And when winning the SEL championships he have been a key player. I´m getting tired of the down grading of JJ´s capability. Yes Bäckström have great potential but so had JJ when he was in Bäckströms age as well and I think that he have lived up to it even do he never played more then one season in the NHL.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Vikke said:
True. Though, I still believe that a year in the AHL, if he gets top two line and PP time, would be great for him.

The SEL is better then the AHL so I think playing first line C for Brynäs is much better for him.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
johnny_rudeboy said:
Nothing wrong with being compared to 0+ games for Tre Kronor, 2 Olympic golds, 2(?) world cup golds and 4 SEL championships among many finals. And when winning the SEL championships he have been a key player. I´m getting tired of the down grading of JJ´s capability. Yes Bäckström have great potential but so had JJ when he was in Bäckströms age as well and I think that he have lived up to it even do he never played more then one season in the NHL.
Jeezus. Where am i downgrading him? Jönsson is an extremely liable twoway-center, but he is not in the same league regarding offensive potential as Bäckström has, and he never had as youngster either. We all know the story that JJ would have been a great NHL-center(defensive minded yes). And yes its true, but i don´t really care... and im not downgrading him.. but do i think that Bäckström is a bigger talent than Jönsson? Hell yeah.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad