Nickerson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
In THN, Nickerson's coach called him one of the top 5 d-men in the Q. I assume no one else would agree but had he progressed this year prior to the suspension. I assume if he has , he will likely fill a spot at Iowa next year.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I am incredibly underwhelmed with how Nickerson plays. That said, I do know that many are impressed with his play this year. Personally he seems incredibly slow and awkward on the ice. His positioning was atrocious in the games I've seen of him, and when he played Moncton he was getting pushed around by Steve Bernier a lot.

leafaholix*

Matt MacInnis said:
I am incredibly underwhelmed with how Nickerson plays. That said, I do know that many are impressed with his play this year. Personally he seems incredibly slow and awkward on the ice. His positioning was atrocious in the games I've seen of him, and when he played Moncton he was getting pushed around by Steve Bernier a lot.
Well, according to some... his skating and mobility is one of his better attributes.

:shakehead

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Carl O'Steen said:
Well, according to some... his skating and mobility is one of his better attributes.

That's an odd thing to say about a guy who definitely "lumbers" on the ice. I don't see his mobility as a strength remotely.

His strength is that he is incredibly strong (particularly along the boards), has a mean streak and a penchant for physical play, as well as actually having pretty decent hands for a huge guy.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
*shrug* In the four games I saw him play earlier this year he appeared to be a guy who was, well, somewhat typical for his size. I don't know when Postman was able to see him, or maybe Nickerson was playing hurt when I saw him, I cannot account for the discrepancy.

Every time I've seen him play everything looks laboured and forced.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Carl O'Steen said:
According to this guy, his skating is really good...

http://www.hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2148630&postcount=77

Read that...Not once does that guy state that his skating is "really good"....perhaps "really good for his size", but not just really good in general. He was making those comments in response to your inaccurate comparisons to Belak/Cairns.

Speaking of Nickerson...I heard he was supposed to get traded since his team is apparrently pretty bad and a lot of teams would like him....did he get traded?

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Carl O'Steen said:

For a guy who's 6'5 and 240, yeah, his skating is supurb, according to various reports that is. Also, Matt's positioning is supposed to be quite reliable so even if he were to be a bad skater and have a below average mobility, it's not that big of an issue, take Derian Hatcher for example. One of the slowest skaters in the entire NHL and needs a whole shift to rotate, yet his meanstreak and positioning is what makes him so tough to play against. Matt Nickerson is a lot like Derian in this regard.

leafaholix*

Ott = Snott said:
For a guy who's 6'5 and 240, yeah, his skating is supurb, according to various reports that is. Also, Matt's positioning is supposed to be quite reliable so even if he were to be a bad skater and have a below average mobility, it's not that big of an issue, take Derian Hatcher for example. One of the slowest skaters in the entire NHL and needs a whole shift to rotate, yet his meanstreak and positioning is what makes him so tough to play against. Matt Nickerson is a lot like Derian in this regard.
He's a hell of a lot closer to Wade Belak than Derian Hatcher.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Carl O'Steen said:
He's a hell of a lot closer to Wade Belak than Derian Hatcher.

Completely missed the point of his post. Obviously he's not Derian Hatcher...he was simply commenting on their respective skating abilities. Looks like you chose to ignore that and respond only to the words 'Derian Hatcher' and 'Matt Nickeron' being in the same post.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
There is a distinction that I should make.

And its the same one I say for Bruce Graham.

LOOKING really ugly, does not always mean is ugly (in regards to skating). Big guys tend to have hideous skating strides, and people always assume that means their skating is atrocious.
So, my comments about him appearing laboured and awkward are really not fair, I realize. That goes with the territory of being that large. Basically, he does get from Point A to Point B, but he's not flying around the ice.

What gets people excited about Nickerson is partly his mean streak, but also that he actually is pretty nifty with the puck sometimes, which you don't expect to see from a guy that appears like him. He has better puck handling skills for a behemoth type of d-man.

leafaholix*

Chaos said:
Completely missed the point of his post. Obviously he's not Derian Hatcher...he was simply commenting on their respective skating abilities. Looks like you chose to ignore that and respond only to the words 'Derian Hatcher' and 'Matt Nickeron' being in the same post.
That's because they shouldn't be in the same post. I say Wade Belak, Shane Hnidy, etc... and it's shot down... I'd say that those comparisons are much more accurate than Derian Hatcher.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Carl O'Steen said:
That's because they shouldn't be in the same post. I say Wade Belak, Shane Hnidy, etc... and it's shot down... I'd say that those comparisons are much more accurate than Derian Hatcher.

Missing the point again...he was talking about how even IF Nickerson had poor skating and below average mobility(which he doesnt), it may not hold him back, like Hatcher.

leafaholix*

Chaos said:
Missing the point again...he was talking about how even IF Nickerson had poor skating and below average mobility(which he doesnt), it may not hold him back, like Hatcher.
True, it didn't hold Eric Cairns back.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Carl O'Steen said:
True, it didn't hold Eric Cairns back.

Yep..except that as explained in that post you linked to, Nickerson has much better skating/mobility/puck skills than guys like Cairns and Belak. Kind of throws your whole inaccurate, baseless comparison out the window.

leafaholix*

Chaos said:
Yep..except that as explained in that post you linked to, Nickerson has much better skating/mobility/puck skills than guys like Cairns and Belak. Kind of throws your whole inaccurate, baseless comparison out the window.
I take it you've seen them compete against one another lately.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Carl O'Steen said:
I take it you've seen them compete against one another lately.

Now see, there is absolutely no need for smartass comments like this. With Nickerson being 19 years old, obviously they havent competed against one another. But Boris Valabik hasn't competed against Scott Niedermayer, and that wont stop people from saying that Niedermayer is clearly a better skater.

leafaholix*

Chaos said:
Now see, there is absolutely no need for smartass comments like this. With Nickerson being 19 years old, obviously they havent competed against one another. But Boris Valabik hasn't competed against Scott Niedermayer, and that wont stop people from saying that Niedermayer is clearly a better skater.
Apples and oranges.

Matt Nickerson's skating has been questioned... you can't say it's that much better than Niedermayer's is than Valabik's.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Carl O'Steen said:
Apples and oranges.

Matt Nickerson's skating has been questioned... you can't say it's that much better than Niedermayer's is than Valabik's.

Simply shooting down your claim about them competing against one another. Belak/Cairns skating is rather below average. Nickerson's is pretty good for his size. Clearly there is no comparison between the skating abilities of Cairns and Nickerson, except if they were to be made by someone trying to bring down Nickerson. This doesnt even include the puck skills that Nickerson has, which are also above average for someone of his size.

leafaholix*

Chaos said:
Simply shooting down your claim about them competing against one another. Belak/Cairns skating is rather below average. Nickerson's is pretty good for his size. Clearly there is no comparison between the skating abilities of Cairns and Nickerson, except if they were to be made by someone trying to bring down Nickerson. This doesnt even include the puck skills that Nickerson has, which are also above average for someone of his size.
Alright, but not enough above average to even consider comparing any facet of his game to Hatcher.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Carl O'Steen said:
Alright, but not enough above average to even consider comparing any facet of his game to Hatcher.

See, you are missing the point. O=S was pointing out that even IF Nickerson had below average skating/mobility, it may not hold him back, because those attributes(poor skating/mobility) did not hold back a guy like Hatcher. He wasnt comparing him directly to Hatcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->