Nickerson signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Modano = Dud said:
Vagner had some major injury trouble's bothering him the past 2 years. Because of that he was an early cut at the Stars camp and also wasn't selected to play for his native country in the WJC for the same reasons. This broke his confidence and it took him a while to get over it. He had a fairly strong camp prior to this season and has made significant strides in comparison to two years ago. He will be alright eventualy, but his progression missed a year or two so people love labeling him a bust of a whatnot.

I think you may be overestimating him. A lot of Q ibservers were not high on him starting in his draft year. While I'm sure others do not have the right perspective and forget about the injuries and troubles, not all of us have.

You do have to admit having a tendancy to overrate your guys. You pulled the same stunt with Erskine, who isn't half what you told us to expect ;)

In the case of Vagner, I stand by my assessment starting from his very first strides in the Q to today. I could be wrong, of course, but he will be at best a servicable (and one who can be frustrating or enigmatic on top of that) guy and still carries risks despite that. Plus he needs work.

Risky, raw, inconsistent guys with low upside are bonehead picks, and I think that's what the Stars did with this one.

Picking a guy with those four tags in the first round is suicide.

Of course, he could make me eat my words but I doubt it.

lace-em'-up

May 11, 2003
Visit site
i've been seeing alot of people say that there was a noticable increase in his game in the past year. and i think even one of the stars scouts or whatever said that he's development has been a lot faster than they expected.

nickerson.

Last edited:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Vlad The Impaler said:
I think you may be overestimating him. A lot of Q ibservers were not high on him starting in his draft year. While I'm sure others do not have the right perspective and forget about the injuries and troubles, not all of us have.

You do have to admit having a tendancy to overrate your guys. You pulled the same stunt with Erskine, who isn't half what you told us to expect ;)

In the case of Vagner, I stand by my assessment starting from his very first strides in the Q to today. I could be wrong, of course, but he will be at best a servicable (and one who can be frustrating or enigmatic on top of that) guy and still carries risks despite that. Plus he needs work.

Risky, raw, inconsistent guys with low upside are bonehead picks, and I think that's what the Stars did with this one.

Picking a guy with those four tags in the first round is suicide.

Of course, he could make me eat my words but I doubt it.

Agreed 100%

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Modano = Dud said:
Vlad is correct, Matt is indeed an animal. He's a giant that takes no crap, think Derian Hatcher with a Darcy Tucker mentality. Though the difference is that he does know his limits and he can control his temper. Personally, I think Nickerson wll play in the A for a season, maybe two, unless the urge for a defenseman is rediculously high, he won't wear a Stars uni just yet. I remember hearing how he and Hugh Jessiman played against eachother and how Matt had him in his pocket with relative ease, this while Hugh ain’t chopped liver either. His offensive game is also extremely solid for a guy his age and especially for a guy his size, he has made a significant progression in this regard and he has still shown us that he can develop this even further. Anyway, Matt is likely the Stars answer at a failing John Erskine, and is arguably the Stars 2nd best defensive prospect behind Trevor Daley.
......How the hell do you know

Smarties

Jul 5, 2002
Chocoville
Visit site
lace-em'-upi've been seeing alot of people say that there was a noticable increase in his game in the past year. and i think even one of the stars scouts or whatever said that he's development has been a lot faster than they expected. Quote: [U said:
Originally Posted by La-La-Laprise[/U]
If anything Vagner is over-rated. People who have actually watched him the last 3 years in the Q can back me up on that.
COLOR]

Hey lace-em'-up: True, there is a noticable increase in his game, plus the coach often refers to Vagner as being one of his best defenseman!

La-La-Laprise: ... sorry but I cannot agree with you - Vagner is NOT over-rated. I too have been watching him for the past 2 years in the Q and the guy is doing the job.

Last edited:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Smarties said:

Hey lace-em'-up: True, there is a noticable increase in his game, plus the coach often refers to Vagner as being one of his best defenseman!

La-La-Laprise: ... sorry but I cannot agree with you - Vagner is NOT over-rated. I too have been watching him for the past 2 years in the Q and the guy is doing the job.

Thats your opinion. We cant all agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad