Nickerson signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Jacobv2 said:
Who is he? A Dustin Rose type?

Ironically, you are half-right. If I remember well, Nickerson is a physical specimen and a VERY agressive blueliner. If he's the guy I am thinking of, he is a monster who does not take crap and plays an intimidating game.

Where he differs greatly from Dustin Rose is in the talent level :D

While Rose is the next Mario Lemieux, Nickerson is fairly limited.

V for Voodoo

Nov 7, 2002
Boom Shaka-Laka.
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
Ironically, you are half-right. If I remember well, Nickerson is a physical specimen and a VERY agressive blueliner. If he's the guy I am thinking of, he is a monster who does not take crap and plays an intimidating game.

Where he differs greatly from Dustin Rose is in the talent level :D

While Rose is the next Mario Lemieux, Nickerson is fairly limited.
Correct. Nickerson is 6'4 240lbs., he's a mean mofo, I believe he broke the NCAA record for PIM's in a season. He will probably collect over 300 in the Q next year. I guess you could say he's a poor man's Rose, albeit he is significantly smaller in stature.

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
Voodoo said:
Correct. Nickerson is 6'4 240lbs., he's a mean mofo, I believe he broke the NCAA record for PIM's in a season. He will probably collect over 300 in the Q next year. I guess you could say he's a poor man's Rose, albeit he is significantly smaller in stature.

He played both PK and PP for Clarkson and had 5 goals ,. With Daley, Vagner and Jancevski, the Stars have at least a chance to develop a varied and young d core

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Vlad is correct, Matt is indeed an animal. He's a giant that takes no crap, think Derian Hatcher with a Darcy Tucker mentality. Though the difference is that he does know his limits and he can control his temper. Personally, I think Nickerson wll play in the A for a season, maybe two, unless the urge for a defenseman is rediculously high, he won't wear a Stars uni just yet. I remember hearing how he and Hugh Jessiman played against eachother and how Matt had him in his pocket with relative ease, this while Hugh ain’t chopped liver either. His offensive game is also extremely solid for a guy his age and especially for a guy his size, he has made a significant progression in this regard and he has still shown us that he can develop this even further. Anyway, Matt is likely the Stars answer at a failing John Erskine, and is arguably the Stars 2nd best defensive prospect behind Trevor Daley.

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
Modano = Dud said:
Vlad is correct, Matt is indeed an animal. He's a giant that takes no crap, think Derian Hatcher with a Darcy Tucker mentality. Though the difference is that he does know his limits and he can control his temper. Personally, I think Nickerson wll play in the A for a season, maybe two, unless the urge for a defenseman is rediculously high, he won't wear a Stars uni just yet. I remember hearing how he and Hugh Jessiman played against eachother and how Matt had him in his pocket with relative ease, this while Hugh ain’t chopped liver either. His offensive game is also extremely solid for a guy his age and especially for a guy his size, he has made a significant progression in this regard and he has still shown us that he can develop this even further. Anyway, Matt is likely the Stars answer at a failing John Erskine, and is arguably the Stars 2nd best defensive prospect behind Trevor Daley.

Vagner is underestimated I believe but arguably Erskine, Daley, Vagner and Nickerson have a good shot at the NHL in some capacity and I believe that the Stars will take a defender at 20 or 32 for sure.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Starsdude said:
Vagner is underestimated I believe but arguably Erskine, Daley, Vagner and Nickerson have a good shot at the NHL in some capacity and I believe that the Stars will take a defender at 20 or 32 for sure.

If anything Vagner is over-rated. People who have actually watched him the last 3 years in the Q can back me up on that.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
La-La-Laprise said:
If anything Vagner is over-rated. People who have actually watched him the last 3 years in the Q can back me up on that.

Vagner had some major injury trouble's bothering him the past 2 years. Because of that he was an early cut at the Stars camp and also wasn't selected to play for his native country in the WJC for the same reasons. This broke his confidence and it took him a while to get over it. He had a fairly strong camp prior to this season and has made significant strides in comparison to two years ago. He will be alright eventualy, but his progression missed a year or two so people love labeling him a bust of a whatnot.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Modano = Dud said:
Vagner had some major injury trouble's bothering him the past 2 years. Because of that he was an early cut at the Stars camp and also wasn't selected to play for his native country in the WJC for the same reasons. This broke his confidence and it took him a while to get over it. He had a fairly strong camp prior to this season and has made significant strides in comparison to two years ago. He will be alright eventualy, but his progression missed a year or two so people love labeling him a bust of a whatnot.

Im talking about when he was healthy and when he was 17.

Everyone outside the QMJHL circle was talking about how great Vagner was, everyone who watched him play at 17 was thinking what in gods name do people see in him? Vagner is NOT trash but he is not a 1st rd NHL draft pick.

I dont really like to label any 19 year old a bust, i just think he is over-rated outside the QMJHL.

Dr GLU

Mar 1, 2002
Northern Hemisphere
Modano = Dud said:
Though the difference is that he does know his limits and he can control his temper.

You must bet talking about a different Nickerson. The one I know has very little control over his temper. That's one of the big knocks on him.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
GLUhipfan said:
You must bet talking about a different Nickerson. The one I know has very little control over his temper. That's one of the big knocks on him.

I read several stories that mentioned how he was smart enough to avoid certian brawls or other incidents that had suspensions tagged to it, just so he could play in the game thereafter which was supposed to be an important one..

I'll find a link of at least one of them..

Edit: Biggest contribution may have come late in the game during 5-1 loss to Cornell in first contest of the ECAC Quarterfinal round at Lynah Rink (3/12) when he refused to take part in a fight, which enabled him to play a key role in the following two games as the Knights' knocked off the defending league champions on their home ice in the best two-out-of-three game series ...

http://clarksonathletics.com/roster.asp?playerid=386&sport=5

Dr GLU

Mar 1, 2002
Northern Hemisphere
Modano = Dud said:
I read several stories that mentioned how he was smart enough to avoid certian brawls or other incidents that had suspensions tagged to it, just so he could play in the game thereafter which was supposed to be an important one..

You don't get 179 PIM in college without losing control of your temper ocassionally (actually, somewhat regularly). So he managed to avoid brawls a few times, big deal. He still took a lot of retaliatory penalties, which is a mark or a player who can't control his temper.

Dr GLU

Mar 1, 2002
Northern Hemisphere
HollyG said:
Won't he be ineligible to play in the AHL since he'll be under contract in the CHL and not 20 until next January?

That's a good question, but I really don't think he's going to be good enough for the AHL anyway, so it's probably a moot point.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Nickerson may be big and tough, but the one game I saw him play, he was either hurt or gutless.

Two years ago at the Newmarket Christmas tournament in Ontario, Nickerson's Texas Tornado was playing the Vaughan Vipers of the OPJHL. Vaughan had a lot of small "waterbug" type forwards and Nickerson was just unloading on them.

One of Vaughan's defensemen was Devereaux Heshmatpour, who was 15 at the time but as big if not bigger than Nickerson. Kitchener lists him at 6'6", 233 lbs. Heshmatpour started chasing Nickerson around, pushing and shoving, trying to get him to go, and Nickerson wanted nothing to do with it. He was skating around with that body language trying to show that he "didn't notice" Heshmatpour.

What it reminded me of was Tie Domi over the last couple of years - a guy who will jump the middles and light-heavies but suddenly shows "self-discipline" and "restraint" when a heavyweight comes calling.

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:

Some talk the stars may not sign him and take the 56th pick would you?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Starsdude said:
Some talk the stars may not sign him and take the 56th pick would you?

Yes. But people will think im bias because i already said i didnt like Vagner.

Vagner will ask for 1st rd money because he was a 1st rd pick. I am sure the Stars will try and low ball him and see if he takes it, if not they should take the 56th pick.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Laurentides said:
No but he just signed a contract this week with les Tigres de Victoriaville.

I know, but he can still play AHL at 19.

If a player is drafted out of a non-CHL league he can play AHL at 19 even if he goes to the CHL later on.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Back to Nickerson, here are my thoughts on the guy (I've seen him play over a dozen times this year). First of all, he's huge and nasty as others have pointed out. He had a bad reputation coming into the ECAC this year as a bruiser and the referees were watching for him from day 1. Honestly half the calls against him were either questionable or down right terrible calls. That said, he has a Chris Chelios mentality of dishing out as much physical damage as possible. He hits at every opportunity if he knows that he can get away with it without blowing his positioning. If he can't nail you safely he'll use the lumber. He's good at clearing out the front of the net, but mostly I watched him do it against smaller competition, we'll see how well he can do it with bigger power forward types. His biggest lapse defensively has to be speedy forwards can get by him around the outside. When he get's going he's a fast skater and he's even pretty agile on his feet. What he doesn't have is a great skating stride or great acceleration to catch the really speedy guys around the outside. Other than that he's really quite solid defensiely and doesn't make too many stupid mental errors. Offensively he's an average stickhandler, above average for a guy his size. Not great moves but a quick stick. He uses a very long stick, good for all the chopping he does and the occasional poke check. He get's his wrist shot off very quickly from the point, and he's one of those defenseman that actually prefers the wrist shot to the slap shot, which I like because it's a faster shot. His passing is decent, tape to tape mostly and hard. Overall I like the mixture of size, attitude and even some offensive upside this guy brings to the table. Sorry to see him bail out of the ECAC so soon, but it really wasn't the right place for a guy like him. He probably won't be more than a physical number 4 defenseman and the ECAC isn't a great place for a big man like him trying to refine his physical style game.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
La-La-Laprise said:

I am backing him up on that. I could not believe the hype around this guy on draft day. He is run of the mill. It's not that he is BAD. It's just that he is just very average and more of the calibre of the average late 2nd/ early 3rd rounder.

I wouldn't give up on him. I just agree with laprise that the guy has been overrated. He isn't much hyped anymore, though. The talk died pretty quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad