Confirmed with Link: Nick Shore traded to Calgary

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Interested to see obrien in his spot.

Hope that why obrien is up and not to replace brassard

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
How effective is he as a 4C? I'm wondering if they view him as a Stajan replacement for next year.

Didn't get to see much of him, but from the small sample he looked like a solid 4C. Good on faceoffs and on the PK. Better than Lazar for sure, lol.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
A dozen people could play here next year as a 4th liner.

Because a dozen people could play here next year as a 4th liner.

As an RFA on a reasonable deal for what he provides, and unlikely to get a big raise on his next deal, I just don't see the rush to get him out the door for a trivial return. I mean, it's not like we're saving much by shipping him out when you consider that now JOB is up in his sport. We could have held off to the offseason to see if we could have gotten something more, or just signed him as our vet 4th liner for next year.

I just don't really get it. It's not a big deal, and I guess the root probably lies in the org disagreeing with my evaluation of Shore (they apparently don't think he's even worth qualifying, I guess).

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Shore was just LA shipping out a contract. He is JAG - just another guy, and not worth qualifying. JOB just signed a two way deal with us, so he can fill that depth role without being owed an NHL salary when he gets sent back down...

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Shore was just LA shipping out a contract. He is JAG - just another guy, and not worth qualifying. JOB just signed a two way deal with us, so he can fill that depth role without being owed an NHL salary when he gets sent back down...
Shipping out a contract would have gotten us some AHL player like Moutra or whatever that guy's name is. This is a guy that dressed pretty much all the games in LA, and was getting 14:30 a night with them and killing penalties, is still relatively young, and as an RFA will not be in a position to price himself out.

At the end of the day, we need to have a 4th line center next year. Jim O'Brien won't cut it, and we shouldn't want prospects like Chlapik and White in that role. I just see us going out and signing a UFA that we'll inevitably be either overpaying like we arguably did with Thompson (two years and a NTC at 1.65 is not terrible, but not team friendly either), or just won't be good enough like Kelly the year before. Shore to me could have hit that sweet spot between the two.

Reactions: Benjamin

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I saw nothing special in Shore that couldn't be replaced by any other fringe NHL player, and I'm sure that's what the Sens saw too. I saw a guy that they'd need to qualify at $1M, or $1.1M (I forget which) and then I look at their prospect pool and see someone like Nick Paul who can probably fill the same role as Shore at a cost of $750K, or whatever. Small savings, but savings none-the-less.

Plus, maybe the Sens draft the next Brian Elliott with that 7th. Yeah. Then we'll all be like, 'Dorion is a musical genius! Turning one of the Shore brothers into a medium quality goalie! I have such a raging asset management bone right now!"

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think he's worth more than a 7th.. but whatever...he was here now he's gone and he is easily replaced

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Then we'll all be like, 'Dorion is a musical genius!'

This is the timeline I want to live in.

If I had to guess just based on appearances, he sort of looks like the kind of guy who would be a trumpet player? "The Pierre Dorion Jazz Quartet". Small but classy venue, mood lighting, good acoustics... I'd see that show.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think he's worth more than a 7th.. but whatever...he was here now he's gone and he is easily replaced
At the end of the day, if you or I feel he should have returned a 3rd or a 4th, but we got a 7th instead, it's not really that big of a deal. The likely hood of even that 3rd round pick turning into anything is pretty small, so while it seems like a big difference, it really isn't as bad as it seems.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
At the end of the day, if you or I feel he should have returned a 3rd or a 4th, but we got a 7th instead, it's not really that big of a deal. The likely hood of even that 3rd round pick turning into anything is pretty small, so while it seems like a big difference, it really isn't as bad as it seems.

Sure we know that the chances go way down past the 1st 2 rounds.. but I'd rather have a pocket full of 3rds than a pocket full of 7ths ... but as I said its one player and we can easily replace him.. As a GM imo you have to value the 3rds and 4ths close to twice as much as the 7ths ..even if they may not turn out.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Melnyk has assured everyone that he will pour lots of resources into scouting now. That 2019 7th rd pick is going to be the steal of the 2019 draft.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sure we know that the chances go way down past the 1st 2 rounds.. but I'd rather have a pocket full of 3rds than a pocket full of 7ths ... but as I said its one player and we can easily replace him.. As a GM imo you have to value the 3rds and 4ths close to twice as much as the 7ths ..even if they may not turn out.

Yeah, I hear you. I just don't see why we rushed to move him. Could we not be sure to get that same 2019 7th round pick in the offseason? He was RFA and had a low qualifying offer.

In the end though, a 4th (or 2 7th round picks) would have been nicer, but in the same way getting $2005 on my trade in buying a new car would be nicer than getting $1900, the extra $105 will fill my tank of gas a couple times, but I'm not torn up over the difference.

I think the big issue is that we're in a situation of death by 1000 paper cuts. Throwing in a pick to pay a bonus, another to take Hammond, getting a soft return on a roster player, waiving another guy instead of getting an asset at all, overpaying for a deadline 4th liner and waiving hi . It adds up to potentially a lot of assets.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This is the timeline I want to live in.

If I had to guess just based on appearances, he sort of looks like the kind of guy who would be a trumpet player? "The Pierre Dorion Jazz Quartet". Small but classy venue, mood lighting, good acoustics... I'd see that show.
Pierre before the hair loss

Reactions: BonkTastic

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
He does like to toot his own horn.
4bc.gif

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Pierre Dorion by day.

Duke Silver** by night.

**I stole Ron Swanson's alter ego**

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
JOB will make everyone forget about what's his name, see, it's already working. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->