Player Discussion Nick Seeler

Status
Not open for further replies.

mn1993vintage

Dec 12, 2017
Minnesota
Thoughts on Seeler's play so far? I think he has been great. More consistent than Gustav Olofsson and Mike Reilly have been all season. Great surprise so far this year. Big physical presence that hasn't made any bone headed plays as of yet. Once Brodin comes back more likely than not he'll be going back to Iowa but we'll cross that bridge when it comes.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Thoughts on Seeler's play so far? I think he has been great. More consistent than Gustav Olofsson and Mike Reilly have been all season. Great surprise so far this year. Big physical presence that hasn't made any bone headed plays as of yet. Once Brodin comes back more likely than not he'll be going back to Iowa but we'll cross that bridge when it comes.
I've liked him a lot as a 3rd pairing defenseman so far. As you say, he'll probably be back to Iowa once Brodin is back, but he looks like he can handle 3rd pairing minutes in the NHL next year. We just need him or Olofsson to learn to play on the right side.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
He compliments Spurgeon better than anyone not named Suter on the Wild. He does the things Spurgeon can't do (physical aspects of the game), and Spurgeon does the things Seeler can't do (transition/o-zone game).

I've been high on him since last season from the bits and pieces I saw of Iowa games. The Wild have needed a physical presence on the blueline for years, he fills that void well, and isn't a traffic cone the rest of the time.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
There was a play in the first last night against Jersey where he pulled up and slipped a nice pass through the forecheckers. Just thought it demonstrated a lot of confidence and some skill he didn't show often in college. He's getting shots through and really playing well with the puck, learning to deal with the speed.

I guess everyone here knows his story, but taking a whole year off would completely derail a lot of guys. He stuck with it, and now is an NHL player. A lot of credit to Mike Guentzel and the other Gophers coaches for keeping him on a good program and ready to step in. And we need to give more credit to the staff in Iowa: we've now seen Olofsson, Reilly and Seeler develop into decent NHL players.

As you might guess, Seeler is getting crushed in the fancy stats, but I think he looks like a player.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Haven't seen much of him yet, but he has looked good in my limited viewings.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I like him, but need to see more. I think Olofsson has a higher ceiling. I wish both would really work on playing the offside. If they can play a passable RD, like Brodin, it gives the team all sorts of options.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I'm seeing some things I like with him, some things I don't (mostly the occasional rookie mistake, passes that don't cut it in the NHL but might in the slower paced AHL). Honestly, he's better than I expected. My expectation was for him to become a Clayton Stoner at best, but he's up in the NHL at a younger age than Stoner was, and I think he's got more skill. Not a bad 5th round pick!

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm seeing some things I like with him, some things I don't (mostly the occasional rookie mistake, passes that don't cut it in the NHL but might in the slower paced AHL). Honestly, he's better than I expected. My expectation was for him to become a Clayton Stoner at best, but he's up in the NHL at a younger age than Stoner was, and I think he's got more skill. Not a bad 5th round pick!
I agree... a few touch passes that were slow, and a couple that were into risky areas in out own zone. All in all, pretty good though. Stoner was stronger and tougher, but Seeler appears to have much better skating and puck skills. Playing with Spurgeon has to be kind of nice, though.

I'll say it again. Learn how to play RD, even though you are a LH shot! It's not that hard, can actually give you some advantages, and will get you steady work in the NHL.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I've been super impressed with Seeler. I didn't think he'd be an effective player in the NHL when he was playing with the Gophers, but I've definitely been proven wrong. He's solid defensively, has a good motor, and doesn't back down. He's been a very pleasant surprise!

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I've been super impressed with Seeler. I didn't think he'd be an effective player in the NHL when he was playing with the Gophers, but I've definitely been proven wrong. He's solid defensively, has a good motor, and doesn't back down. He's been a very pleasant surprise!
His skating and passing are quite a bit better than I was expecting, though I wasn't expecting much. He's a welcome development because, as good as our top-4 is, we don't have a pile of reliable bottom-pairing defenders lying around. Especially a physical one that can do his job consistently without demanding big bucks somewhere down the line. Assuming he keeps it up he's looking pretty valuable to the Wild in particular.

Wild in KC

Feb 6, 2016
I like Seeler a lot. He's shown noting but great potential since being called up here. He gives us an element of toughness this team sorely lacks. That fight last night was bonkers.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota

I'm liking this kid a lot so far...

Sounds like he's winning the hearts and minds of fans, teammates and even the media!

Also, that fight was mental.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
He's good. Sometimes makes those suicide passes in tight spaces, but mostly realizes his limits.

I'm not a fan of fighting or violence, but that last one was well.. some respectable and scary real stuff. Wants to be a part of the team and looks like a good soldier.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I didn't get to watch the game, had to catch the highlights. I noticed Seeler was the 2nd star, but (outside of his fight) only had 1 shot, 1 hit and a -1 . Did he get 2nd star just because of his fight, or was he doing other stuff all game that just doesn't show up on the score sheet?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I didn't get to watch the game, had to catch the highlights. I noticed Seeler was the 2nd star, but (outside of his fight) only had 1 shot, 1 hit and a -1 . Did he get 2nd star just because of his fight, or was he doing other stuff all game that just doesn't show up on the score sheet?
Yes. Yes he did.

Hockey's changed a bit over the last decade, but not that much.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Yes. Yes he did.

Hockey's changed a bit over the last decade, but not that much.
Ask any player in the Wild locker room if he deserved it. That fight won't ever show up on a spreadsheet, but it was the most important play of that game.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Fair enough. Must have been a momentum swinger. I did notice that it took place when we were down 1-0, but we won 4-1. So that's nice.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Ask any player in the Wild locker room if he deserved it. That fight won't ever show up on a spreadsheet, but it was the most important play of that game.

I have zero doubt the players in the room would give the appropriate platitudes to Seeler. If I was Blashill, i'd blame the entire loss on Witkowski's in-ability to keep Detroit fired up with his fighting personally.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I have zero doubt the players in the room would give the appropriate platitudes to Seeler. If I was Blashill, i'd blame the entire loss on Witkowski's in-ability to keep Detroit fired up with his fighting personally.
Detroit started the game with energy, Minnesota didn't find theirs until the after the fight. Talent took over from that point.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Detroit started the game with energy, Minnesota didn't find theirs until the after the fight. Talent took over from that point.
I'm well aware of the narrative. I disagree with it.

I'd suggest the PP goal from Staal and Spurgeon that tied the game gave them the energy. Something that happens 1 our of 4 PP's on home ice and had a top 10 PP going against a bottom 10 PK. The PP opportunity was unrelated to the fight.

I'm personally unwilling to give the props from the hardwork Staal/Spurgeon did in scoring to Seeler.

But that's me, you're welcome to your opinion.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I'm well aware of the narrative. I disagree with it.

I'd suggest the PP goal from Staal and Spurgeon that tied the game gave them the energy. Something that happens 1 our of 4 PP's on home ice and had a top 10 PP going against a bottom 10 PK. The PP opportunity was unrelated to the fight.

I'm personally unwilling to give the props from the hardwork Staal/Spurgeon did in scoring to Seeler.

But that's me, you're welcome to your opinion.
Throwing out more numbers just proves my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad