Nick Schmaltz finally breaking out?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Earlier this year after coming back from injury he played a stretch of absolutely awful hockey

Lately he has looked great leading to thoughts about if he is finally getting it together and becoming that top 6 force we hope he can become and need him to become

Now has 16 pts (4 goals + 12 assists) in 21 games

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Man, we're having way too many threads about individual players today...

Schmaltz has been great for a while now. He had some issues the first couple weeks after returning from injury, but that's understandable considering it was likely a concussion.

He does need to remember to shoot the puck. He made a fantastic move to the net last night during the 2nd period but refused to shoot. I'm guessing the coaches talked about it to him after that shift, because he wasn't passing up chances in the third period. Had a nice, hard shot hit Bishop in the head.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Man, we're having way too many threads about individual players today...

Schmaltz has been great for a while now. He had some issues the first couple weeks after returning from injury, but that's understandable considering it was likely a concussion.

He does need to remember to shoot the puck. He made a fantastic move to the net last night during the 2nd period but refused to shoot. I'm guessing the coaches talked about it to him after that shift, because he wasn't passing up chances in the third period. Had a nice, hard shot hit Bishop in the head.

No such thing as too many player threads when one of them is a POSITIVE thread from BWC :yo:

migi

Feb 25, 2015
When he starts shooting and understand when he needs to shoot and when to pass, he is going to be monster in this league for a long time. His speed, ability to defend, instincts with the puck, skill.

Just shoot.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Shmaltz, Cat, Kane, and AA are carrying this team along with the 4th line, everyone else is junk. Shmaltzy is amazing now and hes only gonna get better.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
He is not there yet but it is nice to see people starting to see what he can do and why Stan moved up to get him. Offensively it is obvious where his skill are and where the ceiling is but it is his ability to play 200ft and his really good to potentially great stick skills in the neutral zone/on the back check.

It is clear that I am a fan of his skill set and have been since before the Hawks took him.

What do people see as his ceiling?

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
He is not there yet but it is nice to see people starting to see what he can do and why Stan moved up to get him. Offensively it is obvious where his skill are and where the ceiling is but it is his ability to play 200ft and his really good to potentially great stick skills in the neutral zone/on the back check.

It is clear that I am a fan of his skill set and have been since before the Hawks took him.

What do people see as his ceiling?

I like 8's game and as a he matures I wouldn't be surprised that he puts up prime Patrick Sharp numbers 60-70 points.

I hope his health affords him the opportunity.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
@BK

I think his ceiling is somewhere 1B center or first-line winger. I think he still somehow looks like Spezza.

Given how the game is evolving and if he starts to shoot, I think (hope) he cracks +80 points couple times.

Maybe in future Schmaltz is the 1st line center with some kind of paycheque as Toews got after ELC and Captain is 2nd line center with his contract haha.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Earlier this year after coming back from injury he played a stretch of absolutely awful hockey

Lately he has looked great leading to thoughts about if he is finally getting it together and becoming that top 6 force we hope he can become and need him to become

Now has 16 pts (4 goals + 12 assists) in 21 games

Umm, he's only 21 so finally might be a stretch.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Like his game. He needs to shoot more though. But he's going to be a player. 80 pts seems a bit too high though. I think 55-60 pt would be his normal, maybe flirting with 70 if everything goes right.

Still feels more like a wing than a center to me long term.

Reactions: migi

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
@BK

I think his ceiling is somewhere 1B center or first-line winger. I think he still somehow looks like Spezza.

Given how the game is evolving and if he starts to shoot, I think (hope) he cracks +80 points couple times.

Maybe in future Schmaltz is the 1st line center with some kind of paycheque as Toews got after ELC and Captain is 2nd line center with his contract haha.
i do not know with ref to Schm. i see his value as more of a 2nd line winger who is a modern winger who is a play-maker. but in the right situation, his defense can work for a 1st line like in the line of toews - saad .

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
But here is the point. .me Never has been much of a goal scorer..You can admire the skating and potential to generate scoring but alas he must shoot more to score goals and even then that is on doubt because I do not think he has an elite sniper shot ..Defensively he needs to improve too but that should come with more mhl games and maturity ...He needs to get stronger though. ..still gets knocked down too easily. .Will need to get tougher between the dots in the slot ..If he never improves much as a goal scorer then all you got to justify him being a top six guy is potential playmaking star in assists
.but he has a long way to go to be Thornton elite in piling up assists as one of the best in the league who scored few goals but led or was always up near the vote in league leading assists. One hopes he keeps improving and that that this isn't his top level yet..but we shall see.But for a team starving for more top six goal scorers,he does not seem to fit the bill ...so if we can find better goal scorers he woukd get down -lined
.It is infuriating to see him get to a goid shooting chance then try to set up others instead of firing ..but too often the delay or taking it behind the net after not shoiting results in no scoring chance anyway as defenses recover to take pucks from him or block his pass attempt ..You cannot delay to make a play in this league. .Maybe Kane can master that ..but too often those who delay to find linemates when they have the shot oportunity themselves,remove scoring chances ..Tge league is too good..So you get a shot chance..you have to shoot it ...period.. HE HAD better realize this or hevwill never become an elite star amd never earn tge big bucks ...

Reactions: Doctor Coffin

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
If he can uptick his shot quantity I think he can be a 70 point player. Not comparing them as players but shooting the puck was a problem Kane had early in his career, as well. That's something you can actively change about your game. You're 100% in control of that, so I'm confident he can start doing that more at some point.

If he never does enhance that element of his game (which would be too bad because he CAN shoot the puck really well and has hands to operate in tight) I think he's still a 60 point guy.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Just happy that we have that next young wave of Top6 Players making an Impact. Schmaltz and DeBrincat with Saad is solid going Forward, while Forsling is looking good on the D. At least we won't start with nothing once Toews, Kane and Keith aren't there anymore. (like the Wings now with Lidstrom, Datsyuk gone and Z and Kronwall declined).

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I'm trying to figure out who he reminds me of. A faster Michael Nylander? Maxim Afinogenov is the closest I've come but he doesn't quite have his freak handles.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Bouncing pucks gathered by him rather than opponents or teammates in a crowd, takeaways on the backcheck, coming out with the puck on board scrums...best displays of his excellent hand-eye coordination.

We all knew about his passing ability, but what’s surprising is his speed. Questioned when he was drafted, had a rather odd stride...that looks completely changed from last year and suddenly he’s explosive.

I believe he will score more as he becomes even more comfortable. My only real hope is that he eventually slots in at center full time by next year.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
How about the trade to move up to get him? Any props to Stan for that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad