Player Discussion Nick Ritchie Appreciation Thread

Quackery

#MSpaintitorange
Nov 8, 2014
No idea why there's even conversation about all this when Max Jones is at least 1 year from sniffing an NHL game, better yet he hasn't even done anything in the minors.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
No idea why there's even conversation about all this when Max Jones is at least 1 year from sniffing an NHL game, better yet he hasn't even done anything in the minors.

I agree somewhat. He looked decent in the minors and jumping in during the playoffs isn't an easy thing to accomplish. DSP never accomplished anything in the minors and played really well his rookie year. He never took care of himself physically, which limited his growth, but a player doesn't have to prove anything to make the roster. He is more physically ready than Steel to push for a roster spot, since he'd go back to juniors and doesn't have much room for improvement since he's physically stronger than most guys. It's a case where he'd be better served in the AHL than OHL, but might have a stagnant year and play lower line minutes as it'd be better for him than the OHL. Steel can still grow physically, which the OHL will be fine for his development as he doesn't rely on size to dominate games. Steel might be ready for a spot next year, but might be held back due to his size, which Jones won't have an issue with. I do see Jones competing for a spot next year though, but no way do I see him taking Ritchie's.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
A lot of the penalties Ritchie gets called for are calls that would not be made on older guys (like Lucic). Those types of calls should be reduced (not eliminated) as he gets more experience in the league.

I think the ducks really value what he brings to the game - I think he's around here for a long time.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
A lot of the penalties Ritchie gets called for are calls that would not be made on older guys (like Lucic). Those types of calls should be reduced (not eliminated) as he gets more experience in the league.

I think the ducks really value what he brings to the game - I think he's around here for a long time.

I disagree, the calls he gets called for are easy calls that have the ref saying, "really?"

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
What are you guys thoughts on this guy?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I think he could develop into a Raffi Torres type without all the dumb hits resulting in suspensions (although he may develop into a complete dumbass when it comes to hitting, it's too early to say). Both good skaters, are capable of hitting like a train (although with Ritchie those hits are few and far between ATM) and both have good shots. Ritchie may have slightly higher offensive upside yet - I think he's got better vision and passing ability.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He's 21. Power forwards don't hit their primes until 25-28. He's no where near that point.

It'd be nice if he progressed a little more than he has so far but it's not like he's out of place out there

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Yes because they are busy hitting their opponents instead of their prime...
It sounded better in my head.

But yeah, Ritchie certainly should play now when we have our leaders injured, but there were some times I wished Ritchie would be sent to develop his all around game more in SD

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Good shot, size, greedy, and a decent skater. He also has good instincts for scoring opportunities.
I agree on his physical attributes but I just dont see the instincts. I dont see him getting to soft areas where he can use his shot. I dobt see him using his size to make space. Nor do I see him making nice plays with or away from the puck. Maybe I'm being overly critical but i just haven't seen any progression. I suppose its not really fair given the state of our roster.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I agree on his physical attributes but I just dont see the instincts. I dont see him getting to soft areas where he can use his shot. I dobt see him using his size to make space. Nor do I see him making nice plays with or away from the puck. Maybe I'm being overly critical but i just haven't seen any progression. I suppose its not really fair given the state of our roster.
Those things are all are how he scored 15 last year, and is exactly how he played in the AHL. Look at the players he's been out with this year, it's not like there's been much reason for him to go to those locations, he didn't forget how to play. By the same token, I've been the biggest critic of his play since during preseason, and feel like he needs a trip to San Diego to refocus. I do think he's also playing injured though, he's been playing significantly softer and significantly slower than he was in the preseason games.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
He's 21. Power forwards don't hit their primes until 25-28. He's no where near that point.

It'd be nice if he progressed a little more than he has so far but it's not like he's out of place out there
This is the one thing I'm hoping for but right now he is so slow and not good at winning puck battles that he really hurts whatever line he is on. People give him credit because he can score goals but there are huge holes in his game. Reminds me last year when I was getting crap for everyone because I said I thought kase was better than Ritchie because he was winning puck battles and creating scoring chances but had bad puck luck and just isn't ad good of a finisher as Ritchie. Well now more of those goals are going in for kase while Ritchie doesn't seem to have progressed at all. His goals create an illusion that he is creating scoring chances but the reality is he is just good at finishing. Hopefully Ritchie improves his quickness and playmaking ability and can develop into an effective top 6 winger.

Reactions: Wo Yorfat

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
Can we still edit polls into threads? I'd be interested in seeing how many of us think he will ever be a 20+ goal scorer in the league, because honestly I would not put money on that. Largely agree with Trojans above, Ritchie has size but he's not good at using it to create and capitalise on the NHL level, and only time will tell if he ever will.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
This is the one thing I'm hoping for but right now he is so slow and not good at winning puck battles that he really hurts whatever line he is on. People give him credit because he can score goals but there are huge holes in his game. Reminds me last year when I was getting crap for everyone because I said I thought kase was better than Ritchie because he was winning puck battles and creating scoring chances but had bad puck luck and just isn't ad good of a finisher as Ritchie. Well now more of those goals are going in for kase while Ritchie doesn't seem to have progressed at all. His goals create an illusion that he is creating scoring chances but the reality is he is just good at finishing. Hopefully Ritchie improves his quickness and playmaking ability and can develop into an effective top 6 winger.
Yes he is a complementary player, who will succeed if put in the right situation, like Beleskey. That is why I also wanted to see him in SD more to improve the overall game.
I think Detroit is good of not rushing the forwards into the NHL and I think they are doing great with what they have. Of course you can`t groom them infinitely until Ritchie reaches McDavid level. But just some basics, of how to play in different situations would help for Ritchie.
I remember some of our fans compared him to Benn-lite, lol :laugh:
Not calling him a bust but there were some better players in that draft.
I think he will definitely reach 20 goals sometime, but how often I`m not sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad