Player Discussion Nick Ritchie Appreciation Thread

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
very happy with Ritchie's growth. He's dumb at times, but although I want more discipline, I love that he pushes the edge of clean/dirty.

I have a small fear that Murray may trade him for a better player. I really don't want him to be part of the package. His skillset is very valuable, but I think Murray may undervalue it a bit.

I don't think he pushes the edge, more like he stumbles across the line and asks, "what did I do?"

Oct 18, 2011
He's not going to be traded i think it's easy to forget he's just 21 if he has another good summer he's got a chance to be a real force next year. He's a player that would benefit alot from a better third line to play on

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
He's not going to be traded i think it's easy to forget he's just 21 if he has another good summer he's got a chance to be a real force next year. He's a player that would benefit alot from a better third line to play on

Agreed. It's not a stretch at all IMO to think he could be a 20-20 guy next year if we upgrade at 3C. The biggest thing he needs to work on is toning down the hooking/holding penalties. I don't have too much a problem with the penalties for big hits because he needs to be aggressive physically to be effective. Just be a little smarter in certain situations (like a must win playoff game).

Last edited:

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Agreed. It's not a stretch at all IMO to think he could be a 20-20 guy next year if we upgrade at 3C. The biggest thing he needs to work on is toning down the hooking/holding penalties. I don't have too much a problem with the penalties for big hits because he needs to be aggressive physically to be effective. Just be a little smarter in certain situations (like a must win playoff game).

Don't see him hitting 20 assists unless he improves on his hockey IQ (or, like Perry this year, strikes it rich with phantom points) but 20 goals isn't out of the question with his shot if he continues to improve his skating and gets a bit better on the boards and in front of the net.

Long-term, he could hit 30 in a good year with his shot given that he continues to trend upwards. He's still 21 and power forwards generally take a while to get up to NHL speed. A 15-15 season is a solid achievement at his age with his playing style.

Discipline does need a lot of work though. Doesn't toe that grey area very well.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
very happy with Ritchie's growth. He's dumb at times, but although I want more discipline, I love that he pushes the edge of clean/dirty.

I have a small fear that Murray may trade him for a better player. I really don't want him to be part of the package. His skillset is very valuable, but I think Murray may undervalue it a bit.
If we're getting a better player, why wouldn't you make the trade?

eternalbedhead

Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Obviously it depends on the player. I think Murray undervalues his skill set honestly. That's obviously spec on my part, but like Steel, he's a player you do everything possible to keep.

Ritchie isn't a can't-miss prospect. He's someone who likely could perennially hit 20 goals, but it's not like he's a play-driver with hands and hockey IQ coming out the wazoo. He's a complimentary-style player and always will be. Given his skillset, it looks like he can be a solid one, but if he has to go to bring in some top-end forward talent, I don't think there should be hesitation.

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
If we were to get a somewhat similar player in return, just better, then I'd be all for trading Ritchie. Boone Jenner might be a player to target in that case.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
Ritchie isn't a can't-miss prospect. He's someone who likely could perennially hit 20 goals, but it's not like he's a play-driver with hands and hockey IQ coming out the wazoo. He's a complimentary-style player and always will be. Given his skillset, it looks like he can be a solid one, but if he has to go to bring in some top-end forward talent, I don't think there should be hesitation.

I would agree to this, but at the same time he isn't a "career-max 20g 20a" player as some are suggesting.

There is upside there, he is only 21 and was a top-10 pick who was supposed to go closer to the top-5.

There's no way a player is picked THAT high if he has no hands, no offensive IQ or instincts, etc.

He EASILY has a 30g, 30a with extreme physical edge penciled all over his best-case projections. Will he reach it? I think so, I really do.

He works hard, he's in a great culture with Getz and Kesler hounding him every day in the summer to lay off the ice cream. Seriously though, he has so many veteran stars to learn from and push him. Getzlaf being of a very similar playstyle.

eternalbedhead

Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I would agree to this, but at the same time he isn't a "career-max 20g 20a" player as some are suggesting.

There is upside there, he is only 21 and was a top-10 pick who was supposed to go closer to the top-5.

There's no way a player is picked THAT high if he has no hands, no offensive IQ or instincts, etc.

He EASILY has a 30g, 30a with extreme physical edge penciled all over his best-case projections. Will he reach it? I think so, I really do.

He works hard, he's in a great culture with Getz and Kesler hounding him every day in the summer to lay off the ice cream. Seriously though, he has so many veteran stars to learn from and push him. Getzlaf being of a very similar playstyle.
He's not exactly that great in terms of hockey IQ. He's not great defensively outside of his physical edge and as I said, he doesn't have play-driving ability. He's not a great skater, he doesn't have a lot of vision, he's weak along the boards for a big guy, and his play with the puck is too one-dimensional. He could definitely hit 30 goals fairly often with his shot and size, but do I think he'll become a consistent 30-30 player? No.

Yes, it's still early and power forwards take longer to develop. But he just hasn't shown that he's more than a complimentary player. Even in juniors, the concerns he has now were holding him back.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
He's not exactly that great in terms of hockey IQ. He's not great defensively outside of his physical edge and as I said, he doesn't have play-driving ability. He's not a great skater, he doesn't have a lot of vision, he's weak along the boards for a big guy, and his play with the puck is too one-dimensional. He could definitely hit 30 goals fairly often with his shot and size, but do I think he'll become a consistent 30-30 player? No.

Yes, it's still early and power forwards take longer to develop. But he just hasn't shown that he's more than a complimentary player. Even in juniors, the concerns he has now were holding him back.

I don't think he's bad in terms of hockey IQ. You saw the jump from year 1 to year 2. He seemed behind the play in year 1, last year he was with the play and next year he can hopefully be a step ahead of the play. Like you said, he brings a physical edge, but is nothing special defensively, which there's nothing wrong with. He is a good skater, just not fast. He got faster this year, but his skating ability was one of the reasons he was considered one of the highest upside players in the draft his year. As long as he keeps up his conditioning, his skating will continue to show better on the ice. I think his skating ability, especially last year, doesn't look as good as he is since he wasn't in the best of shape. As far as being a 30-30 player, it's within the realm of possibility. You have to remember he's a big boy with a big shot. He'll create a lot of rebound chances that will lead to assist. He seems to be a guy that has an equal amount of goals and assist. With the way he plays, it will continue to be that way. If he is a 30 goal scorer, then he likely will end up around 30 assist as well. People are selling him a little short as far as a 1 dimensional prospect.

I agree that he might never be more than a complimentary player, but if you build the right line around him, he can be highly productive and probably pace the line in goals, if not points. Corey Perry had the perception of being a complimentary player, until Getz went out and Perry won the MVP. Bottom line is, we are not parting with Ritchie and he hasn't given any reason to dump him. His conditioning wasn't up to par at the pro level last year, which he fixed this season. He, at the very least, has shown a willingness to work on areas that need to be fixed. That lends him to being, or at least appearing, coach-able. He took a bad penalty in an important game. As much as people want to trade him for it, it's not going to happen. I don't even think it was that bad of a penalty. Ritchie is at fault for going in too hot, but the guy turned at the last minute, which is what made the play look bad. Had he not turned at the last moment, we would have been lauding Ritchie for making such a big hit. It was a play he shouldn't have made for sure, but no reason to bring out the pitch forks for.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

I agree 100%.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I hate to go all Dirk on this, but having Manson, who is becoming a deterrent AND can play.
And a guy like Ritchie, who sometimes has a screw loose playing every night,
Makes the Ducks tough to push around
It's why we cannot lose Manson, and I'd hate to lose Nick, he still has upside and is a kid

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I hate to go all Dirk on this, but having Manson, who is becoming a deterrent AND can play.
And a guy like Ritchie, who sometimes has a screw loose playing every night,
Makes the Ducks tough to push around
It's why we cannot lose Manson, and I'd hate to lose Nick, he still has upside and is a kid

I agree. It's not just about being tough or physical either. Ritchie may never be a guy who can carry a line, but he's already an effective top 9 player. If he continues to use his shot more, be one of the leaders in hits, and stand up for his teammates, he's a very valuable asset. The number one complaint I have about Ritchie is his poor board play. That is what he needs to improve more than anything IMO.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
I agree. It's not just about being tough or physical either. Ritchie may never be a guy who can carry a line, but he's already an effective top 9 player. If he continues to use his shot more, be one of the leaders in hits, and stand up for his teammates, he's a very valuable asset. The number one complaint I have about Ritchie is his poor board play. That is what he needs to improve more than anything IMO.

I agree and his board play will likely be one of his offseason focuses. I really like the chemistry he and Kase displayed this seasons. They also did so with difference centers, so it is definitely the two of them that compliment each other very well. They can either play with Getzy, which appeared to work very well in the postseason, or we can get another scoring 3C to round the group out. I'm wondering if that's where the interest in Bennett comes from. Would love to see how those two would play with Bennett. That's wishful thinking, but having Steel in there is a legit option. If he shows he's physically ready, that line would be great for his distribution abilities.

eternalbedhead

Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I don't think he's bad in terms of hockey IQ. You saw the jump from year 1 to year 2. He seemed behind the play in year 1, last year he was with the play and next year he can hopefully be a step ahead of the play. Like you said, he brings a physical edge, but is nothing special defensively, which there's nothing wrong with. He is a good skater, just not fast. He got faster this year, but his skating ability was one of the reasons he was considered one of the highest upside players in the draft his year. As long as he keeps up his conditioning, his skating will continue to show better on the ice. I think his skating ability, especially last year, doesn't look as good as he is since he wasn't in the best of shape. As far as being a 30-30 player, it's within the realm of possibility. You have to remember he's a big boy with a big shot. He'll create a lot of rebound chances that will lead to assist. He seems to be a guy that has an equal amount of goals and assist. With the way he plays, it will continue to be that way. If he is a 30 goal scorer, then he likely will end up around 30 assist as well. People are selling him a little short as far as a 1 dimensional prospect.

Ritchie not being behind the play in his sophomore season had much more to do with improving his fitness and previously poor skating than it was his hockey IQ taking a big step forward. Now, his skating is just mediocre. He still has slow foot speed and doesn't have the edgework that someone like PK Subban does to make up for it, and he's not an explosive skater either. (at the draft, his skating was a concern, not an area of praise IIRC)

As far as him being a 30-30 player, I just don't see it at this rate. Ritchie's clean goals (that is, off his own shots) came pretty exclusively off the rush. There weren't many times where he shot and scored off of zone possession. Part of the problem is the fact that he's been utilized more around the net, but he's there for a reason as his board play isn't very good and he's not really all that great at maintaining space and getting his shot off through heavy traffic.

Lastly, I don't have a worry about him being one-dimensional. He's a physical presence who projects to play well in the offensive zone, and if he can work on using his body more wisely, I think there's plenty of room for defensive growth as well.

I agree that he might never be more than a complimentary player, but if you build the right line around him, he can be highly productive and probably pace the line in goals, if not points. Corey Perry had the perception of being a complimentary player, until Getz went out and Perry won the MVP. Bottom line is, we are not parting with Ritchie and he hasn't given any reason to dump him. His conditioning wasn't up to par at the pro level last year, which he fixed this season. He, at the very least, has shown a willingness to work on areas that need to be fixed. That lends him to being, or at least appearing, coach-able. He took a bad penalty in an important game. As much as people want to trade him for it, it's not going to happen. I don't even think it was that bad of a penalty. Ritchie is at fault for going in too hot, but the guy turned at the last minute, which is what made the play look bad. Had he not turned at the last moment, we would have been lauding Ritchie for making such a big hit. It was a play he shouldn't have made for sure, but no reason to bring out the pitch forks for.

Definitely, I'm not saying he can't be a productive top 6 forward. I'm just saying to temper expectations for those expecting him to be a 30-30 Corey Perry-lite before he starts showing he has more to his offensive game than a big shot. Perry in his prime had it all in that regard. Hands around the net, strength on the boards, vision, offensive positioning, and last of all, a great shot. As of right now, Ritchie only has one of those and projects to maybe pick up one or two more by the time he caps out.

Lastly, I'm not all earnest on moving Ritchie out because of the hit in game 6. Discipline is another issue but I'm not wanting to move Ritchie out for that. Hell, I'm not trying to sell Ritchie out at all.

All I was saying is that if we can bring some real scoring talent in, we should do it even if Ritchie has to be a casualty.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
Ritchie not being behind the play in his sophomore season had much more to do with improving his fitness and previously poor skating than it was his hockey IQ taking a big step forward. Now, his skating is just mediocre. He still has slow foot speed and doesn't have the edgework that someone like PK Subban does to make up for it, and he's not an explosive skater either. (at the draft, his skating was a concern, not an area of praise IIRC)

As far as him being a 30-30 player, I just don't see it at this rate. Ritchie's clean goals (that is, off his own shots) came pretty exclusively off the rush. There weren't many times where he shot and scored off of zone possession. Part of the problem is the fact that he's been utilized more around the net, but he's there for a reason as his board play isn't very good and he's not really all that great at maintaining space and getting his shot off through heavy traffic.

Lastly, I don't have a worry about him being one-dimensional. He's a physical presence who projects to play well in the offensive zone, and if he can work on using his body more wisely, I think there's plenty of room for defensive growth as well.

Definitely, I'm not saying he can't be a productive top 6 forward. I'm just saying to temper expectations for those expecting him to be a 30-30 Corey Perry-lite before he starts showing he has more to his offensive game than a big shot. Perry in his prime had it all in that regard. Hands around the net, strength on the boards, vision, offensive positioning, and last of all, a great shot. As of right now, Ritchie only has one of those and projects to maybe pick up one or two more by the time he caps out.

Lastly, I'm not all earnest on moving Ritchie out because of the hit in game 6. Discipline is another issue but I'm not wanting to move Ritchie out for that. Hell, I'm not trying to sell Ritchie out at all.

All I was saying is that if we can bring some real scoring talent in, we should do it even if Ritchie has to be a casualty.

During his draft year, his skating was one of the reason's he was considered a top 10 pick. They said he was a 220 lber that didn't skate like that. Only drawback was he wasn't the fastest, but talked about his explosive first step and ability to beat defenders wide to the net. Interestingly enough, if you read the comments from the scouts, his board play was one of his strengths. As such, I wouldn't put too much concern there as he will likely get better. http://thehockeywriters.com/nick-ritchie-prospect-profile/

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I think footspeed is more of an issue than skating. It has to be hard for a really heavy kid with bad footspeed to look great as a skater. He was horrible for maintaining puck posession the year but he definitely improved over the prior year.

Henrique Iglesias

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Just a thought...I wonder if the development of Max Jones will have any weight on Ritchie's future with us. Ritchie along with Theodore, Manson, Montour, Fowler, Cogliano, and Kase are all on the final years of their respective contracts this coming year. If Max can come in and assume a role similar to Nicks on an ELC it could make Nick expendable.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Just a thought...I wonder if the development of Max Jones will have any weight on Ritchie's future with us. Ritchie along with Theodore, Manson, Montour, Fowler, Cogliano, and Kase are all on the final years of their respective contracts this coming year. If Max can come in and assume a role similar to Nicks on an ELC it could make Nick expendable.

Ritchie will still be a young cheap contract player who can produce a decent amount and plays a physical game he isn't expendable even if Max can do well while on his ELC. We need to improve our forward group not weaken it in any way.

Henrique Iglesias

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Ritchie will still be a young cheap contract player who can produce a decent amount and plays a physical game he isn't expendable even if Max can do well while on his ELC. We need to improve our forward group not weaken it in any way.

I agree our forward group needs to improve. Part of that is injecting more speed and creativity into our lineup. Max is a very similar player to Nick in terms of size and playing with an edge however I think Max is a better skater. Maybe not necessarily straight line speed but laterally and with the puck. If Jones can become a staple in our lineup and the cap isn't an issue I say flip Nick for another forward with a little more creativity.

Oct 18, 2011
Im keeping both unless the trade is borderline no brainer. Those two are going to make the ducks very hated for many years and each bring different talents.

They could be kinda like Lucic and Marchand if things pan out

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
I agree our forward group needs to improve. Part of that is injecting more speed and creativity into our lineup. Max is a very similar player to Nick in terms of size and playing with an edge however I think Max is a better skater. Maybe not necessarily straight line speed but laterally and with the puck. If Jones can become a staple in our lineup and the cap isn't an issue I say flip Nick for another forward with a little more creativity.

I like Max Jones a lot, but not sure he's going to be ready to produce, at least offensively, where Ritchie is next year. As good as Max is, he scored 2 points in 9 postseason games with the Gulls. Obviously, he joined them late in the season and was still getting used to the system, but Ritchie has put up close to a point a game in the AHL, even his OHL playoff production was at a much higher rate than Jones. I wouldn't mind seeing Jones on our roster, but I just don't see it at the expense of Ritchie. If we decide to play Rakell at 3C and have an open wing spot in the top 9, then it's possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad