Nick Jensen

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
This guy is seen in a positive light by a lot of red wings writers and places like the red wings subreddit, but not here. You had guys like Prashanth Iyer at the beginning of the season saying he would lead the d-corp in points. Personally, I have no clue what people see in Jensen, he makes a ton of mistakes and doesn't create much offense. What do you guys think?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Amazing skater, not a very good player of hockey.

Luckily he can bail himself out sometimes.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I think what people like about Jensen is the fact that he is a great skater, and the fact that after looking like a career AHLer was able to turn into a decent 6th/7th d-man.

I dont mind him, you need to have a 7th D-man that sits in the press box, and I'd prefer it not to be a kid with upside.

Reactions: NickH8

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I think what people like about Jensen is the fact that he is a great skater, and the fact that after looking like a career AHLer was able to turn into a decent 6th/7th d-man.

I dont mind him, you need to have a 7th D-man that sits in the press box, and I'd prefer it not to be a kid with upside.
Basically my opinion of him. Not great but I don't mind him.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
He's had moments where I thought he could turn it around and be a factor on the offensive side of things but hasn't took off. I'm blaming it on the coaching staff telling him to stay responsible defensively which hinders his playmaking. (I have no evidence of that whatsoever)

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
He's not a terrible #6 guy. For example he might be claimed if offered up on waivers. As we all know with this team... the deficiencies compound each other and players look worse than their true ability. Only 130 gp, he has improved along the way. Will be 28 this summer, so at least a few more years in his peak.

To summarize: we've got to hope the next wave of prospects are much better. :laugh:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He's never been billed as an offensive defenseman. He's a smooth skating defensive defenseman.

I don’t think this was entirely the case when he was putting up good numbers in college. I mean later on it became apparent it wasn’t going to translate, but things looked pretty promising in that 2011 or 2012ish timeframe. From what I remember at least.

But as for now? Dude is OK. I could take him or leave him. Part of me would prefer we just purge the whole blue line though.

Reactions: Oddbob and gbdet

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I don’t think this was entirely the case when he was putting up good numbers in college. I mean later on it became apparent it wasn’t going to translate, but things looked pretty promising in that 2011 or 2012ish timeframe. From what I remember at least.

But as for now? Dude is OK. I could take him or leave him. Part of me would prefer we just purge the whole blue line though.
Yea I can agree with when he was coming out of college there may have a glimmer, but in terms of taking a step forward (or the coaching holding his playmaking back) this season offensively I wasn't expecting 20-25 points or anything.

Last edited:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
He's a 5/6/7 defenceman on an average team. On a Cup team he's depth d-man for injury protection.
Agreed.

And I put him ahead of XO and frankly, not that far behind everyone else on the roster if at all. Often times this season I found myself shaking my head more because of DK than Jensen.

Reactions: Oddbob

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Loved him coming up.

His NHL skills are lacking, he'll be a journeyman NHL'er because he can skate and battle.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
This guy is seen in a positive light by a lot of red wings writers and places like the red wings subreddit, but not here. You had guys like Prashanth Iyer at the beginning of the season saying he would lead the d-corp in points. Personally, I have no clue what people see in Jensen, he makes a ton of mistakes and doesn't create much offense. What do you guys think?

He’s awful. Honestly my least favorite player on the team. Does the same thing every single time. Gets the puck and chucks it off the glass every damn time. All he can do is skate but if it were me there is no way I would have him on an nhl hockey team

Toreko

Apr 3, 2018
He's a 5/6/7 defenceman on an average team. On a Cup team he's depth d-man for injury protection.
I Agree, Like This
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/67/smule.png
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/46/b.png

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Problem is not with Jensen but the Wings insistence that he is anything more than Brian Lashoff. A 7th d/AHL starter who comes up when injuries hit and does what you expect from that level a defencemen. I honestly don't see many, IF any teams other than DRW where he is even in the lineup more than 20 games a year or even the 7th d. My hope is that neither Ouellet and Jensen are back, as neither are good, aren't improving and aren't better than any of the many other 6-7-8th d in the league. Time to move on to others, whether that is Hicketts or some other youngish D from another team.

The only thing Jensen does well is he has good wheels, and I honestly think based on his style of play he would have been a better low end scoring forward than a defenceman.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Agreed.

And I put him ahead of XO and frankly, not that far behind everyone else on the roster if at all. Often times this season I found myself shaking my head more because of DK than Jensen.

So agree with the bolded part.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
IMO, they might as well just run him as a regular until next seasons trade deadline. Hopefully a GM gets desperate to add speed and channels some 2016 Jeff Gorton when they decide what Jensen's worth...

And even if they don't get an overpayment, this past deadline saw a guy like Nick Holden pull a 3rd and a mid level prospect, and guys with even smaller NHL resumes in Kempny and Jerabek pulled a 3rd and a 5th respectively.

Reactions: NickH8 and Winger98

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I definitely dont think he outplayed ouellet to the point that Jensen basically never came out of the line up. That was always odd to me from Blashill. Ouellet was slower sure, but he had a better head for the game

Reactions: NickH8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad