Nick Foligno

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Usually after draft weekend tons of threads pop up about prospects asking for opinions. Surpisingly this year there haven't really been that many. So to fill that void in everyone's heart, I'll ask for some opinions on Nick Foligno, 28th overall to Ottawa. I saw Sudbury play this year but was focussing on Staal among the Wolves' players. So for those who know or have an opinion, please share.

Can he be a scoring line winger or does he lack the upside to be anything more than a solid 3rd liner?

How good of a skater is he? Will it ever be a strength/weakness?

Was he a good pick at #28?

And any other notes would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

zoomba

May 11, 2006
Unionville, ON
Senator Stanley said:
Usually after draft weekend tons of threads pop up about prospects asking for opinions. Surpisingly this year there haven't really been that many. So to fill that void in everyone's heart, I'll ask for some opinions on Nick Foligno, 28th overall to Ottawa. I saw Sudbury play this year but was focussing on Staal among the Wolves' players. So for those who know or have an opinion, please share.

Can he be a scoring line winger or does he lack the upside to be anything more than a solid 3rd liner?

How good of a skater is he? Will it ever be a strength/weakness?

Was he a good pick at #28?

And any other notes would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I don't think he projects to be a scoring winger but I definitely see him as a future NHLer. Probably will fit in somewhere on the third line someday and chip in some offense. That isn't what will make him valuable though. He is one of those players that nobody like to play against.

Not a great skater but not slow. He is a very gritty/competitive player which any team would like to have.

I think he is pretty good value at 28. I would be very surprised if he is not a prominent player for Ottawa in the future.

slusher

Apr 14, 2004
Hanover, NH
I looked around on the internet to see what other people's opinions of Foligno were...you know, people that had seen him play "up close"...and this is a little sample of what I found. By the looks of the third person's username I'm guessing their opinion is most accurate.

Anywhere, here's what I could find:

Date Posted: 00:54:53 05/12/06 Fri
Author: maggie
Subject: Nick Foligno

Does anyone have any dirt on nick foligno from sudbury?? possibly interested. Is he a one girl kinda guy? or one girl a night kinda guy? any help girls would be awsome!!

Date Posted: 09:22:32 05/12/06 Fri
Author: sdbrygal
Subject: Re: Nick Foligno
In reply to: maggie 's message, "Nick Foligno" on 00:54:53 05/12/06 Fri

Despite what he tells you, he has a girlfriend. Nick is a dirtball like all of the rest of them, but he plays his cards pretty good. But ya girlfriend. Her name is Janelle. Hope that helps :)
]

Date Posted: 18:08:42 06/18/06 Sun
Author: beenthere
Subject: Re: Nick Foligno
In reply to: maggie 's message, "Nick Foligno" on 00:54:53 05/12/06 Fri

Nicks a bigger player than all those other guys put together, he plays his cards amazingly well and comes off as this sweet innocent guy.. BIG ACT.. all he wants is a little action.. and the way he talks to girls.. he usually gets it.. dirt ball.. small d too haha

-------

Just a joke - they're real (http://www.voy.com/16476/534.html) - no harm intended - welcome to the Sens, Nick. Glad to have you!

cnyhockey

Nov 28, 2004
RE: Foligno

zoomba said:
I don't think he projects to be a scoring winger but I definitely see him as a future NHLer. Probably will fit in somewhere on the third line someday and chip in some offense. That isn't what will make him valuable though. He is one of those players that nobody like to play against.

Not a great skater but not slow. He is a very gritty/competitive player which any team would like to have.

I think he is pretty good value at 28. I would be very surprised if he is not a prominent player for Ottawa in the future.

I think you hit it on the spot, except I think he was a little of a reach at #28.

Projects as a gritty 3rd Liner who must play with more discipline. Has improved his defensive awareness and with his work ethic it will improve with maturity. The bloodlines are there and I think he's got the possibility of being better than his pops which ain't all bad.

Lupul*

Nick Folingo use to go to my school in hershey pennsylvannia.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Nick's hard to get a read on. People say max third liner, but he has some sick hands. I've seen some pretty plays where he's had the puck on a string and did some things third liners really don't do.

If anything, he won't be a stonehands third liner.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Balej's Dance said:
Nick's hard to get a read on. People say max third liner, but he has some sick hands. I've seen some pretty plays where he's had the puck on a string and did some things third liners really don't do.

He reminds me a bit of Darcy Tucker, who also has very good hands for a player who doesn't really have that rep. I really hope Foligno makes the U.S. WJC team this year. He would look great on a 3rd line with Nate Gerbe.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Rabid Ranger said:
He reminds me a bit of Darcy Tucker, who also has very good hands for a player who doesn't really have that rep. I really hope Foligno makes the U.S. WJC team this year. He would look great on a 3rd line with Nate Gerbe.

Plus, the kids a fantastic interview. I loved his. Outgoing, and with that wide, goofy, joyful grin he's fun.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Rabid Ranger said:
He reminds me a bit of Darcy Tucker

I like that comparison a lot... as for Foligno, he has discipline issues but is more than willing to get his nose dirty and make the plays. His skating will certainly not stand out but it isn't that bad either. His max potential is the second line I'd say although I think he'll end up being a good third liner that can put up maybe 45-50 points.

cnyhockey

Nov 28, 2004
Balej's Dance said:

In 5 years there won't be any "stonehands" on an NHL 3rd line, just the 4th line guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad