Cut/Released: Nick Foles (signed by KC)

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
If that never happens (i.e Roseman doesn't get pushed out), he's still an Eagle IMO.

And about ten other guys.

There's a flood of reclamation projects this year so it could take a while to get another chance. However plenty of QBs are coming towards the end of the line and there's always a few that teams are lukewarm on.

Last edited:

Babe Ruth

Proud member of the precariat working class.
Feb 2, 2016
You can not compare the TD:INT ratio of guys from the 70s to the guys today, Foles plays in a far different league than Bradshaw did.

Ok, then let's compare Foles' 27-2 season as a starter against his contemporary peers.. If your'e saying Foles can't be fairly measured against historic greats, then let's see how he's stacked against other recent stand out seasons..
Brady's career best was 9:1 (2010)
Rodgers career best was 7.6:1 (2014)
Foles best 13+:1 (2013)

And I'm not suggesting Foles is Brady. But I am saying there's some kind of bias against Foles, when people characterize that season as flukey.. and characterize Foles as garbage, or a backup at best.. and/or when Foles haters say/imply the 27-2 is an insignificant stat.. Ball security is critical, 2 picks over 13 games is as good as it gets in any era. And Foles' 7 TD passes in a single game.. c'mon that's legendary Al Bundy stuff.
peace.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
im trying to figure out if the Rams were jerks or champs releasing him literally 24-48 hours before camps opened. I'd venture to guess he requested the release right after the draft.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I wonder if Dallas might be interested in signing Foles now since probable # 2 QB Kellen Moore broke his ankle today.

from cbssports.com:

Nick Foles is probably going to want to keep his cell phone close to him over the next 24 hours, because the Dallas Cowboys could be in the market for a quarterback.

The Cowboys' depth at quarterback took a hit on Tuesday after backup Kellen Moore suffered a broken right ankle during practice. According to Jerry Jones, Moore was injured after a teammate rolled up on the back of Moore's right leg. Moore was carted away from the field after suffering the injury.

The broken ankle likely means that Moore will miss the entire 2016 season.

The injury to Moore means that the Cowboys now have a pressing need for a No. 2 quarterback, which is an important position in Dallas, something that Cowboys fans learned last season after Tony Romo missed 12 games due to injury.

Although Jones recently said that the team has no interest in signing Foles, you have to think he'll at least send out a feeler to the former Rams quarterback. We recently ranked all the viable landing spots for Foles and the Cowboys came in at No. 1, and that was before Moore's injury.

Foles is one of the few viable free agents out there, unless the Cowboys want to sign Michael Vick or Matt Flynn.

Of course, they could always call Johnny Manziel, who mentioned over the weekend that he'd like to play for Dallas.

On the other hand, the Cowboys could stick with the guys on their roster. The team has two other quarterbacks in rookie Dak Prescott and Jameill Showers, who signed as an undrafted free agent in 2015.

Last edited:

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Man I remember last year when I said the Rams downgraded from Bradford to Foles and virtually everyone said I was crazy. Not that Bradford its anything good but he's definitely better than this guy.

Shouldn't be considered for any starting job at all.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Man I remember last year when I said the Rams downgraded from Bradford to Foles and virtually everyone said I was crazy. Not that Bradford its anything good but he's definitely better than this guy.

Shouldn't be considered for any starting job at all.

Not too fair to say considering how bad Jeff Fisher is with QBs.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
So KC is the " winner " of the Nick Foles sweepstakes. :laugh:

from cbssports.com:

The Nick Foles sweepstakes are officially over, and it looks like the Cowboys aren't going to go home happy.

According to NFL.com, Foles has agreed to terms with the Kansas City Chiefs in a move that will reunite the quarterback with the coach who originally drafted him.

Foles' NFL career started in 2012 after the Eagles selected him in the third round of the NFL Draft. The coach of the Eagles at the time was Andy Reid, who is now coaching the Chiefs.

Under Reid's direction in 2012, Foles started six games for the Eagles and went 1-5. When Reid drafted Foles, he made the move with the assumption that the former Arizona quarterback would later be the Eagles' full-time starter.

However, Reid didn't get to see his plan through because he was fired in Philly after the 2012 season. But Reid liked Foles so much that he tried to trade for him during his first year in Kansas City in 2013, according to USA Today.

Reid's familiarity with Foles isn't the only reason the the Chiefs decided to add the former Rams quarterback. The Chiefs lost backup quarterback Chase Daniel in March after he decided to sign with the Eagles, which means Foles will likely make an immediate jump to the backup quarterback spot in Kansas City behind Alex Smith and ahead of Aaron Murray.

Foles' late-night decision to sign with the Chiefs ended a week-long sweepstakes that didn't really get interesting until Tuesday when Cowboys backup quarterback Kellen Moore broke his right ankle during practice.

After the injury, Foles became an immediate candidate to back up Tony Romo in Dallas. According to NFL.com, the Cowboys were one of three teams to offer a contract to Foles on Wednesday night. Besides Dallas and Kansas City, Foles also received an offer from the Vikings.

Foles had been a free agent since July 27 when he was released by the Rams. Foles spent one season with the Rams and likely knew he wasn't going to last much longer with the team after they drafted Jared Goff with the No. 1 overall pick in this year's draft.

The terms of Foles' deal have yet to be reported.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Seemed like the obvious spot from the beginning, reuniting with Reid.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
I think KC & Reid are good for Foles' future.

Smith had a pretty good season last year, and overall career stats are pretty comparable between Smith & Foles.. That said, bcuz of Foles' youth, potential filled during his 2013 season, and Smith's lack of a consistent vertical threat.. I would work on getting Foles ready to start. Wouldn't surprise me if Reid puts in Foles as soon as/if Smith struggles..
KC passing offense needs some kind of spark, even if Foles is viewed as a shaky gamble by some fans (?)

Reactions: jiboy

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
I think KC & Reid are good for Foles' future.

Smith had a pretty good season last year, and overall career stats are pretty comparable between Smith & Foles.. That said, bcuz of Foles' youth, potential filled during his 2013 season, and Smith's lack of a consistent vertical threat.. I would work on getting Foles ready to start. Wouldn't surprise me if Reid puts in Foles as soon as/if Smith struggles..
KC passing offense needs some kind of spark, even if Foles is viewed as a shaky gamble by some fans (?)

I would mostly agree.. Charles can't carry the offense much longer if at all...smith is a good game manager but has little offensive upside... foles looked decent when given a chance and has much better upside imo

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
I think Foles played well in relief last week. Came in and completed close to 75% of his passes, 2 TDs & no picks (135 passer rating).
NFL.com is reporting Foles will be KC's starter this week versus the Jags.

This is an opportunity I was hoping Foles would get, reunited w/Reid, as a starter. We'll see..

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
Bumping this thread, for Foles return as an Eagle starter..

4 TDs, no picks, close to 250 passing yards vs NYG.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Giants suck and gave up 10 weeks ago.

Good game, for sure, but let's see what he does when the competition is much higher.

Reactions: Voight

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Giants are awful and have given up the most points to QB's. So naturally this guy decided to pick him up and start him in the playoffs.

Reactions: Voight

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
Giants suck and gave up 10 weeks ago..

Manning threw for close to 450 yards, and almost beat (arguably) the best team in the NFC. That's not a game that was phoned-in.
Foles threw 4 TDs & no picks, that's a good day against any team, any week, for any QB (starter or backup).

Detractors dismiss Foles because he played poorly under Fisher.. but look at the young QBs who are thriving now w/Fisher off their backs.. Goff has turned around, Keenum is now an MVP candidate, and Foles did well in Philly before he left, & has done well as a backup over the last 2 games.
This petty, cynical standard, that he only beat the Giants.. is diminishing Foles' good road win against a division rival. NFL is week-to-week, I won't predict what lies ahead for Foles in Philly, but it's lame how hard some fans have been on this guy. Foles still has a record 7 (passing) TD game & one of the greatest sophomore seasons in NFL history (27 TDs 2 Ints).

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I should have specified; their defense phoned it in weeks ago. The amount of business decisions Janoris Jenkins and other high paid players on that side of the ball have made this season can't be understated.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
Foles.. shouldn't be considered for any starting job at all.

Foles got off in the NFC Championship.
352 yards, 3 TDs, 78% completion..

Over the last decade, at the start of every season, I assume the Pats are gonna win the Super Bowl.
But right now I'm liking Philly's chances. And Foles is looking good, silencing relentless critics.
We'll see.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Great night and he has confidence back. IN 2013 he was throwing the deep ball really well, he hadn't really taken many shots till tonight. The throws he made were great, that td on Flea Flicker was a great throw.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Foles got off in the NFC Championship.
352 yards, 3 TDs, 78% completion..

Over the last decade, at the start of every season, I assume the Pats are gonna win the Super Bowl.
But right now I'm liking Philly's chances. And Foles is looking good, silencing relentless critics.
We'll see.

Impressive he did that vs Minnesota's defence but I don't think he will have nearly the same success against NE.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->