Recalled/Assigned: Nic Petan assigned to the Moose (AHL)

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
I feel like Petan had the same problem as Ehlers, without the issue about not being eligible to play in the AHL. Petan had nothing left to prove in Junior, had dominated it and had good showings at the WJC. So why not try him out in sheltered minutes with the Jets and see if his creativity and puck skills would make up for lack of size. It didn't work so let him to the Moose, work on his game (im fine if he spends this season and next with the moose) and when he is ready bring him back up to the JETs.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I'm confident in saying that Petan won't need more then a year in the AHL. He proved at times he could be a threat in the NHL. In fact, I think we see him on the NHL roster again before the season ends.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I'm confident in saying that Petan won't need more then a year in the AHL. He proved at times he could be a threat in the NHL. In fact, I think we see him on the NHL roster again before the season ends.

I could see this. I think Petan needed to see first hand the speed difference and how quick he has to play in the NHL, he experienced that and he can regain his confidence and work on his pro game in the AHL. He still has all the tools he just needs to adjust to how he just doesn't have as much time to make plays as he did in junior.

I'm excited to see him with alot more ice time playing for the Moose.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

The comparables I look at him for him are David Descharnais and Jordan Weal. Small dynamic natural centers that lack top end speed. Both needed 2 years in AHL to adjust. I think he will be a solid player, but I don't see AHL as wrong move at all for him for this year and maybe even next.

Problem is this leaves Jets with zero depth whatsoever. When you've backed yourself into playing what is likely the worst forward left in the NHL in Anthony Peluso everyday you know you've made a mistake.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The comparables I look at him for him are David Descharnais and Jordan Weal. Small dynamic natural centers that lack top end speed. Both needed 2 years in AHL to adjust. I think he will be a solid player, but I don't see AHL as wrong move at all for him for this year and maybe even next.

Problem is this leaves Jets with zero depth whatsoever. When you've backed yourself into playing what is likely the worst forward left in the NHL in Anthony Peluso everyday you know you've made a mistake.

Jets are not "backed in". Maurice likes Peluso, and would play him above stars like Stempniak and Cizikas if he wanted muscle in a game. I don't know people still refuse to see that the presence of Thor and Peluso and in the lineup has a lot to do with Maurice's coaching preference. He's playing Thor over Lowry, and he likes Lowry. Armia and Lipon are probably ready to show how they perform with some NHL minutes.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Jets are not "backed in". Maurice likes Peluso, and would play him above stars like Stempniak and Cizikas if he wanted muscle in a game. I don't know people still refuse to see that the presence of Thor and Peluso and in the lineup has a lot to do with Maurice's coaching preference. He's playing Thor over Lowry, and he likes Lowry. Armia and Lipon are probably ready to show how they perform with some NHL minutes.

That's how I see it. Maurice wants a team that play "heavy" and puts together a lineup accordingly. Just about every comment talks about the Jets is about being big, heavy and hard to play against. Thor and Peluso are the trade off for inserting smaller skilled players in the middle 6. IMO it is coaching preference. The thing is Thor and Peluso have been far from the problem with the Jets. It has been some horrible defensive play by quite a few vets on the back end.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg

I agree with this. I think he is close and just needs to get some confidence and adapt to the game speed and the physical nature of playing again grown men.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Not sure I think he is with Fronk and Brassard to start. I'm just listening on the radio while I do other things.

What a dorky coaching staff on the Moose. If you have Petan in the AHL, you let him play with talent and hone his game.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
What a dorky coaching staff on the Moose. If you have Petan in the AHL, you let him play with talent and hone his game.

Ummm, honestly Fronk is one their best forwards. I went and saw a game, he was fantastic, flashed alot of speed and skill.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Ummm, honestly Fronk is one their best forwards. I went and saw a game, he was fantastic, flashed alot of speed and skill.

Yeah I was impressed with him last Friday at the game vs. Chicago. Noticed him a bunch of times in a good way.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
He doesn't sound like a player that's too upset to be sent down to the Moose. He understands that the 4th line grinder role isn't for him - not in the way PMo uses it.

“It was exciting to have opportunity to play there for the games I did,” Petan said. “And it was a good experience and just looking forward to the opportunity to come down and get back to normal minutes I think and you know get my feet going.”

“Just got called in and you know I don’t think it was a negative,” said Petan. “I think you just got to stay positive and I think just get some minutes in. I think you know get some confidence in myself. I think like I said before I’m just excited to have a chance to be down here and play my first game tomorrow.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/2350856/w...sitive-after-re-assignment-to-manitoba-moose/

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Wow! I don't even know what hockey team you guys watch. Petan was in my opinion about the only shining light on that fourth line. He was stuck with goons who can't produce what's Thorburn got nine goals and 24 year career :) I don't know what Petén was expected to do being hidden down in the bottom line.
Easily set up more players more frequently with excellent scoring chances then Burmi did all season long his defense of play was amazing he was fast and burmie's skating around losing parks on the half wall��

Petan was set up to fail. I don't necessarily believe that that was the intent but it was the result. If he'd been up on the third line with someone like Stafford and provided teammates who can keep up with his speed and actually finish he would've been more successful. He wasn't the only problem with the Jets power-play in case you haven't noticed it hasn't been very pretty this year

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Thank you.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

You're right, we should bring back O'Dell so HE can be the worst forward in the NHL. So dramatic!
:laugh:

Anyway back to NIC PETAN. I might actually check out a few Moose games now. I want Raffl to come back cause I'd love to see him play some too.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
That's how I see it. Maurice wants a team that play "heavy" and puts together a lineup accordingly. Just about every comment talks about the Jets is about being big, heavy and hard to play against. Thor and Peluso are the trade off for inserting smaller skilled players in the middle 6. IMO it is coaching preference. The thing is Thor and Peluso have been far from the problem with the Jets. It has been some horrible defensive play by quite a few vets on the back end.

Right but some people have already written off Peluso as the worst player in the universe, in perpetuity, till the end of time :laugh:

Peluso has been serviceable since he drew back in. Peluso Copp and Thorburn actually haven't sucked. They are a FOURTH line, they aren't going to be star players.

Keep in mind when the Jets were getting the **** kicked out of them, Petan was playing, not Peluso. Blaming Petan for that is about as enlightened as blaming Peluso for every damned thing that is wrong with the 4th line.

It's not even like I am Peluso lover (I'm not). I just rail against the notion that he is the worst player in history and the Jets are handicapped because he is on the roster. He is one player and Maurice has shown that usage of that 4th line hardly changes whether or not Peluso is on it or not. As a matter of fact, one of the best games the 4th line had this year was when the goon squad was out there (Peluso, Cormier, Thor) :laugh:

Nic should have never been on the 4th line. At all. Not with Paul Maurice as the coach of the club. So if you want to blame anything on Petan being demoted, blame the coach. I however don't mind having a big, physical 4th line. I think it's part of what makes the Jets identity, and I like it.

Maybe if people don't like what the Jets have chosen as an identity, they might start looking for other teams to follow, because for now, and at least the near - mid term, that is what the management want the team to be.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Right but some people have already written off Peluso as the worst player in the universe, in perpetuity, till the end of time :laugh:

Peluso has been serviceable since he drew back in. Peluso Copp and Thorburn actually haven't sucked. They are a FOURTH line, they aren't going to be star players.

Keep in mind when the Jets were getting the **** kicked out of them, Petan was playing, not Peluso. Blaming Petan for that is about as enlightened as blaming Peluso for every damned thing that is wrong with the 4th line.

It's not even like I am Peluso lover (I'm not). I just rail against the notion that he is the worst player in history and the Jets are handicapped because he is on the roster. He is one player and Maurice has shown that usage of that 4th line hardly changes whether or not Peluso is on it or not. As a matter of fact, one of the best games the 4th line had this year was when the goon squad was out there (Peluso, Cormier, Thor) :laugh:

Nic should have never been on the 4th line. At all. Not with Paul Maurice as the coach of the club. So if you want to blame anything on Petan being demoted, blame the coach. I however don't mind having a big, physical 4th line. I think it's part of what makes the Jets identity, and I like it.

Maybe if people don't like what the Jets have chosen as an identity, they might start looking for other teams to follow, because for now, and at least the near - mid term, that is what the management want the team to be.

That's not what people dislike about our 4th line. If it is big and physical but good enough to play 8-10 min/gm that's fine. When it is big and physical and getting 4-5-6 min/gm and spending all of that time hemmed in their own end is when people are unhappy with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad