Niagara Ice Dogs 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

icepups

Jul 11, 2014
So honest question I thought I'd field here, what is Niagara's opinion on how the reffing has been this series?

Game 4 wasn’t horrible. Game 1 and 2 were some of the worst I have ever witnessed. Game 1 they called anything and everything and completely removed any flow from the game. Game 2 they let more things go (including a Hamilton player sitting on Dhillon for the OT goal) but called stupid things while letting serious infractions go. Game 3 was ok until the blatant interference against Corneil when we was going for the ENG but they called his 1 handed retaliatory slash which led to the tying goal and OT.

I’m not saying the officiating has been in Hamilton’s favour. There have been lots of questionable calls made against both teams and as many or more non calls in favour of both teams. Above, I was merely citing examples of reffing having a profound impact on game outcomes.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Game 4 wasn’t horrible. Game 1 and 2 were some of the worst I have ever witnessed. Game 1 they called anything and everything and completely removed any flow from the game. Game 2 they let more things go (including a Hamilton player sitting on Dhillon for the OT goal) but called stupid things while letting serious infractions go. Game 3 was ok until the blatant interference against Corneil when we was going for the ENG but they called his 1 handed retaliatory slash which led to the tying goal and OT.

I’m not saying the officiating has been in Hamilton’s favour. There have been lots of questionable calls made against both teams and as many or more non calls in favour of both teams. Above, I was merely citing examples of reffing having a profound impact on game outcomes.

I couldnt believe they waived off the HAM goal for goalie interference but didnt wave off the NIA goal when the NIA F pushed Stillman into Fulcher and knocked him down last night. I thought NIA caught a huge break there. Either both shouldve been goals or neither

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Ice dogs rally fall short losing 4 to 2 Hamilton tonight in Hamilton good series not including the empty net goals four one goal looses to,a stacked team the east final might be interesting.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Didn't think too much of the Ice Dogs roster throughout the season but when I saw them at the end of the season I thought they might be the scariest team in the East. A bit surprised they're out in the 2nd round but they should be tearing the East apart next year if they're successful at filling the graduate spots.

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
Great season by the lcedogs I was listening hoping you guys could do it. Is dhillon back next year? I think this season he played him self into a contract with Pittsburgh

Reactions: Hammer9001 and LDN

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Have to say didn't think Niagara would even make the playoffs this year much less get to the second round. Has to be one of the biggest surprises this year - now the cat is out of the bag and I think most will be looking for a big season next year - you guys may be the "beast of the east" next year.

Reactions: knowescape

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
We lose Miletic, Corniel and Carbonera. Next year we will only have 4 over agers: 1) Dhillon; 2) Langdon; 3) Lochead; and 4) Schaefer...hope I'm not missing anyone. Dhillon stays with the team for sure but one of the next three will have to be traded in the offseason. I think Schaefer may be the odd man out but we will see. In order to be competitive in the East, we will need to see substantial growth in production from Tomasino and more speed and strength from Thomas and Jones.

Dogsgottabite

Oct 9, 2015
Congratulations ice dogs on a great season. great series. Just one question from a bulldog perspective tho. With a team of skilled, speed players, like you have, why did you guys waste an OA roster spot on a player with Carbanaro's skill set (or lack thereof)? He was just a distraction from start to finish. I didn't get that at all, its not like he's tough or added anything except a stupidness factor. Anyway he's gone next year and you guys will the team to beat in the East.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Congratulations ice dogs on a great season. great series. Just one question from a bulldog perspective tho. With a team of skilled, speed players, like you have, why did you guys waste an OA roster spot on a player with Carbanaro's skill set (or lack thereof)? He was just a distraction from start to finish. I didn't get that at all, its not like he's tough or added anything except a stupidness factor. Anyway he's gone next year and you guys will the team to beat in the East.

Agreed, that's why the Miletic deal made no sense to me. Getting Carbonara sends a "okay we're not ready to win this year but we need some veteran leadership" message. But then go out and pay 3 2nds for a rental in Miletic? That sends the complete opposite message. That's as "win now" of a move as there could be. Seems like Burke got caught not knowing what his plan was and it cost him getting only 1 win in round 2 and now being behind the 8-ball in terms of assets going into next year. Could cost him Constantinou or Lleyton Moore

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
Any particular reasoning behind the fact that there is no rookie camp?
It used to be a staple when the old coach was behind the bench.

Did they sign ANY of their draft picks this year?

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
Have to say didn't think Niagara would even make the playoffs this year much less get to the second round. Has to be one of the biggest surprises this year - now the cat is out of the bag and I think most will be looking for a big season next year - you guys may be the "beast of the east" next year.

Hard to argue with that based on how the Ice Dogs played over the final 20 games. A team I plan to follow more closely next year! Excellent team, coach, arena and fans! Congratulations on an amazing year IDs.

icepups

Jul 11, 2014
Any particular reasoning behind the fact that there is no rookie camp?
It used to be a staple when the old coach was behind the bench.

Did they sign ANY of their draft picks this year?

I could be wrong but I don’t believe Niagara has ever held a rookie camp. They generally hold a rookie orientation day. No on ice stuff but the boys and their parents come down to meet the team staff and then are toured around on the team bus to see the high schools and talk to the education advisors. The team usually puts something out advising city residents to honk and wave if you spot the bus on that day.

I haven’t heard that any of our picks have been signed but that too isn’t uncommon. Seems to me that they rarely rush into signing the rookies. Might see the 3rd rounder signed when he comes up for the Gold Cup.

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
@Andylehoux1

Most disappointing player for team Canada at the #U18Worlds IMO :
1. Akil Thomas
2. Ty Smith
3. Ty Dellandrea

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
Yes Three Dog Knight, we can all read and know he got hurt.

It was his LAST chance to shine amoungst his peers before the draft and his stock dropped.

While the stocks of McShane Noel and Foudy’s rose up.

He was playing on the top line, earning top minutes alongside a guy heralded to be the next Sidney Crosby yet he potted ONE empty net goal and ONE assist.

The tweet has merit and would consider it a dissapointment.

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
Congratulations ice dogs on a great season. great series. Just one question from a bulldog perspective tho. With a team of skilled, speed players, like you have, why did you guys waste an OA roster spot on a player with Carbanaro's skill set (or lack thereof)? He was just a distraction from start to finish. I didn't get that at all, its not like he's tough or added anything except a stupidness factor.

Anyway he's gone next year and you guys will the team to beat in the East.

After watching Hamilton handle Kingston so easily, it says a lot about how well a young IDs team played in that series. Team to beat in the east? Sounds about right. Good luck in the OHL finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad