Niagara Falls to Soo road trip advice

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Getting married in June, just going to road trip it up for our honeymoon. Hitting up Niagara Falls to start since we haven't been since we were kids, then we were thinking of making the trip north through Canada to the Soo to check out the Soo Locks, then to Munising for Pictured rocks and either to Marquette or Mackinaw Island to wrap it up, but we will get the Michigan stuff figured out.

Wondering what that trip from Niagara falls to Soo through Canada is like? Wouldn't want to waste the entire day in the car, is there any cool towns/cities on the trip north to stop in and check out? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The drives from Niagara to Toronto, then Toronto to Sudbury, and then Sudbury to the Soo are all completely different in themselves.

Niagara to Toronto is completely urban with heavier traffic but very cool city skyline and Lake Ontario visuals (depending on the weather). Personally, I like taking a view from the escarpment parks in Hamilton; usually there are some great views from up high that don't require much walking at all.

I know there are (or at least used to be) some great escarpment views NW of Toronto but the locals would know more than I do about this.

Honestly, if you've got a few hours, I'd take the extra trek into downtown Toronto and just walk around for a bit. It's a bit $$ but it's worth it if you have the time.

Going north from Toronto, I don't know many specifics about cottage country. It's been a while since I was up there.

Sudbury - the Big Nickel. I think it's on the west end of town but it's 100% the spot I'd stop at.

Reactions: MJ5 and Roadhog

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Niagara-on-the-Lake is a charming, historic town that you might consider, a stone's throw from Niagara Falls. To be honest, I haven't been there but it's on my list.
Very nice one night/two day visit with a wine tour added.

If wanting something different on the trip to SSM, a (slower) but pretty straight forward drive up HWY 6 to Lake Huron where you can ferry up to Manitoulin Island then continue up HWY 6 to the trans Canada Highway. That might be as scenic as it gets.

Last edited:

twinsdad

Dec 1, 2014
Grand Rapids
If wanting something different on the trip to SSM, a longer but pretty straight forward drive up HWY 6 to Lake Huron where you can ferry up to Manitoulin Island then continue up HWY 6 to the trans Canada Highway. That might be as scenic as it gets.
I will second that. Bruce Peninsula NP is worthy of a visit. As well as a glass bottom boat tour of shipwrecks around Tobermory.

Between Soo and Munising is Tahquamenon Falls, of course.

You'll want the boat tour of Pictured Rocks from Munising, but you probably already knew that.

Between Munising and Mackinac Island, go south and you can visit Kitch-iti-kipi, which is a huge natural Spring that has a floating raft that can go out over it. Then Hwy 2 along Lake Michigan had great views.

Sorry if you are already aware of the Upper Peninsula natural attractions, but I figure if other readers are looking for vacation ideas in Michigan, there you go.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Depending how long you want to be in Canada, the Agawa Canyon Tour Train is a popular day trip from the Soo. Also, the drive North of the Soo towards Wawa along hwy 17 is beautiful and completely different than any of the other drives you are contemplating.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Depending how long you want to be in Canada, the Agawa Canyon Tour Train is a popular day trip from the Soo. Also, the drive North of the Soo towards Wawa along hwy 17 is beautiful and completely different than any of the other drives you are contemplating.
I took the Agawa Canyon train while in SSM for the fall season. I questioned if it would be worth it for someone my age at the time to see some colourful leaves while quite high.
It was.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Speaking of golf, if OP likes golf (and fiance too) there is a great opportunity to turn this into a golfing trip.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
The drives from Niagara to Toronto, then Toronto to Sudbury, and then Sudbury to the Soo are all completely different in themselves.

Niagara to Toronto is completely urban with heavier traffic but very cool city skyline and Lake Ontario visuals (depending on the weather). Personally, I like taking a view from the escarpment parks in Hamilton; usually there are some great views from up high that don't require much walking at all.
What's Toronto to Sudbury like? and then Sudbury to Soo?

Niagara-on-the-Lake is a charming, historic town that you might consider, a stone's throw from Niagara Falls. To be honest, I haven't been there but it's on my list.
This looks interesting checking it out.

Anyone else got any inside to Niagara on the lakes?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

Toronto is urban for about an hour until you hit Barrie, then it's cottage country/forests, from what I remember. I'm sure the people up there know more about what kind of activities there are, though.

Sudbury to Soo is similar; little towns scattered along the Highway 17 (Transcanada). It's a nice drive if you like remote areas and it's completely different than most anything in southern Ontario/Michigan.

Reactions: MJ5

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Make this drive all the time. There is not much between Parry Sound and Sudbury (although you can now find a couple of cheap gas stations there). We usually try to plan our stops to avoid stopping in that stretch. I don't think many parts of the drive are particularly picturesque. For that I truly recommend the Lake Superior coastline up highway 17.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
I’m sure it is for many. I no longer have much use for the medicine, but the proper dose at least allows this green-red deficient person to imagine how vibrant colours could be. It’s good for my golf game too.

I’ll tell you what.. I’d need to be heavily dosed to enjoy it.. lol

The ride from Sudbury to Soo might be the most exciting driving you’ve ever done, so buckle up…. lol!!!!!!!!

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I’ll tell you what.. I’d need to be heavily dosed to enjoy it.. lol

The ride from Sudbury to Soo might be the most exciting driving you’ve ever done, so buckle up…. lol!!!!!!!!
Sarcasm because mostly forest?
Beyond SSM towards Thunder Bay should not be attempted in a coupe or sedan in the winter.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022

This looks interesting checking it out.

Anyone else got any inside to Niagara on the lakes?
We go once or twice a year. Niagara on Lakes, Jordan Station.
3x a year the have a 2/3 weekend deal where 20 wineries will get together and have an event you tour around and get a sample of food n wine at each. We just did the Chocolate/Cheese tour n weren't disappointed, have also don't the fall harvest on.
We stay away from the bus tours. 2x rented bikes n did our own tour.
Not big on the flight tastings ( too much wine but the sip n eats are great. I think Twenty Valley Tours does a couple. Self drive.
Lots of great hiking spots on and off beaten path ( Balls Falls, along the river heading into On The Lake. )
Spas available if ya need/want a pamper day. Pillar n Post is pricey but other great options ( there is one in Jordan.
Wineries, if planned are no more than a couple minute drive apart.
Holiday Inn Express/ Staybridge Inn(suites with kitchettes) n Hilton Gardens all 15 min to Falls/Niagara on Lake/ Jordan Station n 30 wineries. And across highway to a large outlet outdoor mall.

Congrats n enjoy the tour. Some great ideas above.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad