nhlscrapr package

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Anyone use nhlscrapr that wouldn't mind sending some sample code my way to parse some individual team/player stats? This is just to get started, I don't want you to give away all your secret sauce.

THanks

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
there is a flaw to their plan

who is the one collecting the data and releasing it?
Data is often subjective. For me this is more about fancy stat people trying to sell snow to Canadians in December

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
there is a flaw to their plan

who is the one collecting the data and releasing it?
Data is often subjective. For me this is more about fancy stat people trying to sell snow to Canadians in December
Data is subjective?
Are you sure you aren't confusing data and interpretation?

The data is released by the NHL. I scrape it myself, although not with R.

Reactions: Doctor No

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I don't think that this is what the poster intended, but many of the data elements in the NHL's files are subjective - just the simple concept of "shot on goal" has an interpretive effort (the goaltender made the save, but if he'd missed it, it would have been near the post - would it have gone wide or gone into the net?).

The "fancy stat people trying to sell snow to Canadians in December" sounds like someone trying to fit a square meme into a round hole. It doesn't fit the conversation at all, and it seems like a weird (and confusing) cheap shot at "fancy stat people".

Reactions: SmellOfVictory

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
I don't think that this is what the poster intended, but many of the data elements in the NHL's files are subjective - just the simple concept of "shot on goal" has an interpretive effort (the goaltender made the save, but if he'd missed it, it would have been near the post - would it have gone wide or gone into the net?).

The "fancy stat people trying to sell snow to Canadians in December" sounds like someone trying to fit a square meme into a round hole. It doesn't fit the conversation at all, and it seems like a weird (and confusing) cheap shot at "fancy stat people".

The subjectiveness is less important because the data source is unique. Everyone has to work with what NHL/MLB produce, no matter what.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Back to this - I was headed to hockey earlier, and since I'm the goalie, I can't be late.

One particular place where the subjectivity is an issue is the fact that different people make the calls in different arenas. If one arena's scorer has a different opinion on borderline SOG caes than another arena's scorer, the home teams in those rinks' statistics are going to be disproportionally affected.

This is particularly pervasive in (for instance) the "hits" category, where the same teams always have multiple players near the top of the leaderboards.

Last edited:

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
Back to this - I was headed to hockey earlier, and since I'm the goalie, I can't be late.

One particular place where the subjectivity is an issue is the fact that different people make the calls in different arenas. If one arena's scorer has a different opinion on borderline SOG caes than another arena's scorer, the home teams in those rinks' statistics are going to be disproportionally affected.

This is particularly pervasive in (for instance) the "hits" category, where the same teams always have multiple players near the top of the leaderboards.
Yeah, but hasn't that already been addressed in the arena adjustment techniques?

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
People have developed approaches; some of those approaches probably work well. It's hard to know how much it affects conclusions at the micro level, of course.

Regardless, it's important to be aware that the problem exists (and some don't), and just because there are ways to ameliorate the problem, it doesn't mean that the problem of data subjectivity isn't important. In fact, it's because it's important that the amelioration techniques were developed.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Thanks for the info. To be transparent, I'm not looking to recreate the CORSI. I'm just looking to create a dashboard that allows me to pull up a player or team numbers in a visual format when I'm watching a game. Stuff like that.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
So it turns out the thing simply doesn't work past the 15-16 season. Not sure why CRAN allows that but what can you do.

(Just wanted to follow up in case this came up in someone's search.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->