NHL's return to Winnipeg certain says analyst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
If we are talking expansion or relocation I am surprised no one mentioned the city of Nashville. They are one of the biggest markets still untapped...large city...large area to draw upon...no other major sports teams...yep...Nashville would be a great place for an NHL team....

TheMoose

Jun 23, 2005
Peter said:
If we are talking expansion or relocation I am surprised no one mentioned the city of Nashville. They are one of the biggest markets still untapped...large city...large area to draw upon...no other major sports teams...yep...Nashville would be a great place for an NHL team....

Very funny.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
People should also remember, for any future expansion, the NHL has to consider the impact on revenue sharing from this point forward. In the past, allowing another team into the NHL wasn't that big of a deal. If the team succeeded, great. It would make money. If it didn't, it was on it's own. The other teams get the expansion fee, so, they were happy.

Now, if you allow a new team in the league, they will now be a drain on the revenue sharing system in the, unless they are a potentially lucrative market. Having a few new teams, may bump existing teams out of the "receiving" status.

The real benefit for expanding, is if you think that it will expand the television market for the league as a whole. I'm hoping that the NHL is smarter than this now, to think that all expansion = greater television ratings.

Expansion is still feasible, but, the new markets have to offer great long term potential to the league for them to add a new team. Unfortunately, I don't see Winnipeg or Quebec having that much of an impact on league shared revenues, like TV. American viewers won't care, and, those markets are probably already NHL fans, and, it wouldn't great impact viewership in national deals.

They still may pick up a relocated franchise. The stronger dollar may attract a team that really runs into hardships in their current market. However, they will need to compete with growing U.S. markets. Vegas, Houston, Portland, etc. present a much bigger economic base, where an ownership group could tap into huge revenue streams, if they market it right. Winnipeg and Quebec are pretty stable markets. You know that you're going to have a certain base level support, but, you also know that there are limitations on your revenue, and, that you're likely never going to be more than an average NHL market in terms of revenue.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
I would have to see a link on that before I believed it.

15,015 is over 1800 seats smaller than Rexall Place, which is one of the smallest arenas currently in the NHL. It also has fewer suites than Rexall.

LyleOdelein

Aug 3, 2005
Renfrew
I think this is a mistake. I think he meant to say that Canadian classic rock band Trooper's return to Winnepeg is certain. They're playing at Silverado's-Garden City Inn on November 4th. Glad I could clear things up.

Michael Morbid

Jun 11, 2004
PBC
bure94 said:
We need more northern teams where the population already knows hockey.

Population shouldn't be what should be looked at primarily.

Plus Charlotte couldn't even keep its NBA team so ...

:confused:

They went without a NBA team for what, 1 season? Charlotte Hornets moved to New Orleans and then expansion Charlotte Bobcats moved right in. You can't use the NBA teams as an excuse. :teach:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
John Vanbiesbrouck said:
They went without a NBA team for what, 1 season? Charlotte Hornets moved to New Orleans and then expansion Charlotte Bobcats moved right in. You can't use the NBA teams as an excuse. :teach:
Anyone else enjoy the irony of Vancouverites pointing out cities losing NBA teams in these discussions? :sarcasm:

GSC2k2*

kenabnrmal said:
I don't have the link, so take it for what its worth, but I'm 98% sure that Bettman has stated that the MTS Centre is big enough for the NHL.
Well, the 2% kicks in, then.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Gary Bettman would just laugh and say "Columbus, Atlanta, Nashville" then promptly show you the door on that argument

And if you uttered more words, "Tampa Bay"

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
kenabnrmal said:
I don't have the link, so take it for what its worth, but I'm 98% sure that Bettman has stated that the MTS Centre is big enough for the NHL.
I can vouch for this.... sort of. It was in the FAQ section of True North's (the company that owns and manages the MTS Centre) old website, however the site was revamped when the arena opened. I believe the FAQ question was actually "why didn't you build a bigger arena so we can get an NHL team?" :)

The building was built to NHL specifications, and the seating capacity was deemed by the league to be suitable for an NHL team. Bettman himself never said it, but the league did.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
revisionist history, but it's a shame the owners didn't care about a salary cap in 1994. teams like quebec, winnipeg and hartford should have been given the chance that teams are now getting.

Little Wing

Jul 17, 2004
Desert-ed
discostu said:

Expansion is still feasible, but, the new markets have to offer great long term potential to the league for them to add a new team.

They still may pick up a relocated franchise. The stronger dollar may attract a team that really runs into hardships in their current market. However, they will need to compete with growing U.S. markets. Vegas, Houston, Portland, etc. present a much bigger economic base, where an ownership group could tap into huge revenue streams, if they market it right. .

Las Vegas will probably never be awarded a professional franchise, in fact the entire state of Nevada for that matter due to the rampant amount of gambling in that state, statewide they are at a disadvantage when it comes to integrity in a professional sports franchise,

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
rocky hockey said:
Las Vegas will probably never be awarded a professional franchise, in fact the entire state of Nevada for that matter due to the rampant amount of gambling in that state, statewide they are at a disadvantage when it comes to integrity in a professional sports franchise,

Could be, but, the NBA is currently courting the idea. If they do, and it works, the other leagues will sure to give it consideration. I'm not saying any of those listed markets are a certainty, or even likely, I just wanted to demonstrate the challenge those Canadian markets will be up against when it comes time to court an existing franchise.

RedSoxNation

Jan 31, 2005
Bad night for Red Sox nation, read the interview. This Bloom guy was right and wrong on a number of issues, but if you say this is from January 2003, Bloom must have been one of the first to suggest there wouldn't be an NHL season in 2004, 18 months ahead of time, but it is funny to read where he doesn't mention Winnipeg then but he does now. Nice shot at the Rangers as well and he does talk about the markets that weren't working then and might not work now

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I remember when they annonced the new arena and first question was raised about the seating being around 16k---

for an nhl team you have to beable to hold atleast 19k now

3k a game does not seam like a lot

but it could/would add up to about 1 to 2 mill a year finacially when you factor in how much tikets are and how much the average fan pays

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
jumptheshark said:
I remember when they annonced the new arena and first question was raised about the seating being around 16k---

for an nhl team you have to beable to hold atleast 19k now

3k a game does not seam like a lot

but it could/would add up to about 1 to 2 mill a year finacially when you factor in how much tikets are and how much the average fan pays

i don't really understand your point that an arena needs to be 19,000. the nhl average attendance in '03-'04 was around 15,500.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
mr gib said:
i just think the nhl owes winnipeg - it would be the only new team in canada ever - do the wait and see

What exactly does the NHL owe Winnipeg?

It is not the NHL's fault that absolutely nobody stepped forward to purchase the team ten years ago.

mooseOAK*

I think that anyoone who thionks that Winnipeg should have a team should actually go there and see that it just isn't big enough and it isn't growing. My mom's family is from Winnipeg and none of them are living there any longer.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Resolute said:
What exactly does the NHL owe Winnipeg?

It is not the NHL's fault that absolutely nobody stepped forward to purchase the team ten years ago.
i ask you this then - would you like to see another team in canada? - and - where would it go?

to buy in ten years ago would've been financial suicide - ask mark cuban - who kinda wants in now

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Winnipeg is a hockey town period.

No, it isn't growing but outside of Calgary, Vancouver, and Toronto the entire country of Canada isn't growing.

The question is whether or not the city's base of ardent hockey fans is better or not than a U.S. city that currently has a team. At an $0.86 CDN dollar, the potential revenues out of Winnipeg may be greater than some of these markets. At an $0.65 CDN dollar, this isn't a real possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad