Not open for further replies.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
He isn't even drafted yet but the phenom hockey player is already well on his
way to saving the most vulnerable franchise in the NHL. 2 business days after
the penguins recieved first pick they have sold 150,000 tickets and merchandise
is sold out with a huge influx of new orders.Tickets sales will probably reach
close to capacity and the guarantee of those revenues should allow the team
to sign better free agents than otherwise possible.All this should also help the
penguins secure a new building. Already pundits are predicting a possible playoff spot for Pittsburgh.

When the Penguins were asked if they would consider ANY trade proposal
you would have expected the routine answer "anythings possible we'll entertain
offers" but the answer was simply no,like as in no way in hell.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
I fail to see how Pittsburgh selling tickets is an indication that Crosby is "already well on his way to saving the league."

Already pundits are predicting a possible playoff spot for Pittsburgh.
Well, they're morons. Not a single UFA has been signed yet by anyone, so no one knows what the league looks like for the start of the season, and the Pens don't have a goalie, a defense, or depth at forward. Hype causing hype.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Dr Love said:
depth at forward
I agree with everything except that part.
Pens have plenty of young guys that will provide depth after the big names : Mario, Crosby, Malkin (since it's looking like a decent possibility he signs), Recchi, Morozov, Malone, Koltsov, Armstrong, Pirjeta, Bradley, Beech, Kraft, etc... These are twelve solid forwards.
Even if we don't sign any forward FA, the line up would look something like this :

Mario-Crosby-Recchi
Malone-Kraft-Morozov
Beech-Malkin-Armstrong
Koltsov-Pirjeta-Bradley

I think that's a decent group of forwards right there. And we have other guys in WB if needed (Talbot, Eaves, Ouellet, Endicott, etc...).

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Evilo said:

Pens have plenty of young guys that will provide depth after the big names : Mario, Crosby, Malkin (since it's looking like a decent possibility he signs), Recchi, Morozov, Malone, Koltsov, Armstrong, Pirjeta, Bradley, Beech, Kraft, etc... These are twelve solid forwards.
What happened to Fata?

Your centers are two (stud) rookies, a 31 year old with 43 points in 121 games, and Milan Kraft. On the wing along with Recchi and Mario, Malone and Morozov are fine, Armstrong should be good, but Koltsov, Beech, and Bradley are nothing special. 12 solid forwards, I disagree. If Crosby is for real, the first line should be very good, but I'm not banking on Mario playing more than 60 games, I'm not seeing how depth isn't a problem. What are the Pens going to do when Mario gets hurt? Sure, there's a bunch of young players, and for a rebuilding team they're in fine shape. But if they are going to be a serious playoff contender--which was the point I was arguing--then not only are they going to need a goalie and more defensemen, but they're going to need more depth at forward as well.

RedAce

Mar 9, 2005
New York, NY
Take out Morozov and Malkin both are staying in Russia.

As for Crosby,, how is it all of a sudden a player under 6'1 210lbs is gonna step right in and play?? What i am saying is that for years now teams wanted player 6'1 and 210lbs and up it seemed like the smaller skilled player where shyed away from.
Now it looks like the times are changing eh? Thank GOD!!!

I am so sick of these huge linebaker types with no skill. For me thats part of the reason the NHL became so boring. I do hope Crosby is allowed to show his skill and creativty, and not stifeled by the Old school way. I remeber when he did that mike legg wrap around goal in a game in quebec leauge and he "Crosby" was riped by Don (Pop my) Cherry for showing off, he said if he try's that in the NHL he'll get killed.

It that kind of noncreative thinking that has to change, we need to see the skill and creativity. If the game does open up and skill becomes more important then size then i think Crosby has a chance to be awsome but if things stay the way they were then i think he'll just be another highly skilled player who will have to learn how to through the puck into the corner.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Evilo said:
Even if we don't sign any forward FA, the line up would look something like this :

Mario-Crosby-Recchi
Malone-Kraft-Morozov
Beech-Malkin-Armstrong
Koltsov-Pirjeta-Bradley

I think that's a decent group of forwards right there. And we have other guys in WB if needed (Talbot, Eaves, Ouellet, Endicott, etc...).

It's a decent group of young fowards, but it's not a decent group of fowards who are taking the Penguins to the playoffs

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
pei fan said:
He isn't even drafted yet but the phenom hockey player is already well on his
way to saving the most vulnerable franchise in the NHL. 2 business days after
the penguins recieved first pick they have sold 150,000 tickets and merchandise
is sold out with a huge influx of new orders.Tickets sales will probably reach
close to capacity and the guarantee of those revenues should allow the team
to sign better free agents than otherwise possible.All this should also help the
penguins secure a new building. Already pundits are predicting a possible playoff spot for Pittsburgh.

When the Penguins were asked if they would consider ANY trade proposal
you would have expected the routine answer "anythings possible we'll entertain
offers" but the answer was simply no,like as in no way in hell.

It'd be pretty funny if they traded him a week into the season
after all that.What if Crosby and Malkin had the same thing happen as Thorton and Samsonov? (Thorton struggled mightily the first year whereas Samsonov was pretty good)I guess they could send Crosby to the minors, wonder how the fans react?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
go kim johnsson said:
It's a decent group of young fowards, but it's not a decent group of fowards who are taking the Penguins to the playoffs
Oh I agree. As I said, I agreed with Dr Love's post, except for the depth part. And I did forget Fata.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
octopi said:
It'd be pretty funny if they traded him a week into the season
after all that.What if Crosby and Malkin had the same thing happen as Thorton and Samsonov? (Thorton struggled mightily the first year whereas Samsonov was pretty good)I guess they could send Crosby to the minors, wonder how the fans react?

Can they send him to the minors now?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
RedAce said:
Take out Morozov and Malkin both are staying in Russia.
Nothing's done yet!
Where did you get that info to be so sure?
From all reports, Morozov is leaning towards Russia, while Malking is really 50/50.

jb**

Evilo said:

Mario-Crosby-Recchi
Malone-Kraft-Morozov
Beech-Malkin-Armstrong
Koltsov-Pirjeta-Bradley

That group would strike immense fear to an opposing teams Dfense. Granted it probably wont look like that. That is a weak group IMO. 1st line good, nothin special after that. Who goes against other teams top line?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
jb said:
That group would strike immense fear to an opposing teams Dfense. Granted it probably wont look like that. That is a weak group IMO. 1st line good, nothin special after that. Who goes against other teams top line?
Whether you like it or not, it's a deep group with a lot of potential.
Malone proved his worth, Morozov as well and Kraft was arguably our best scorer last season. That's a decent second line. Armstrong has been excellent in WB, Malkin, well everyone knows how good Malkin can be, and Beech is a streaky player.
The last line could be very good defensively. Koltsov' speed will be an asset, and Pirjeta was great in his time with the Pens.

No matter how you slice it, this group is good enough to compete for a playoff spot. The problem lies on defense and in nets.

Considering the free agency and the ambition the Pens have for it (at least one very good defenseman, probably a top 6 forward and maybe a starting goalie), I'll say again that I feel the Pens have a 50% chance of sneaking into the playoffs.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Leachmeister2000 said:
Can they send him to the minors now?

Doubtful, but I think that would be the only option if he was struggling at first...

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
IMO Crosby should be banned from the NHL even before stepping onto the ice

all this hype around him is way too ridiculous, especially for a guy who'll get smashed into the boards more than anyone before him, ever

but I'm glad the Pens are feeling better already :)

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I think what pei fan was trying to point out originally was that Crosby has already ignited a a stagnant NHL franchise despite not even being 18 years old. Or drafted.

Off the ice his addition to the Penguins has sold an incredible amount of tickets in a short period of time. You can't find any Penguins merchandise in the stores anymore.

On the ice his addition has changed the entire organization's strategy. Lemieux doesn't want to hang around to mentor the young guys anymore - his focus is now on making another run at the cup. You can hear it in his voice when he talks.

Until you can point out another individual who has had that kind of impact on the league lately - I'd have to say he is the league's most valuable commodity.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
roshiajin said:

all this hype around him is way too ridiculous, especially for a guy who'll get smashed into the boards more than anyone before him, ever

That's a great idea, welcome to the board - we are going to learn a lot from you.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Le Golie said:
That's a great idea, welcome to the board - we are going to learn a lot from you.

I was just being sarcastic ... but I'm just tired of reading his name EVERYWHERE

he hasn't played a single game at senior level for God's sakes!!! :cry:

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Dr Love said:
I fail to see how Pittsburgh selling tickets is an indication that Crosby is "already well on his way to saving the league."
Maybe you should reread my post-I said the most vulnerable "franchise" in
the league.
That said, he is doing wonders for the entire league although I wouldn't go
near as far to say the league needs saving but they sure could use a good
boost and they are getting it as witnessed by the totally unexpected
high audience for the lottery and all the extra media attention.

You can also expect that every team that plays host to Pittsburgh will
be sold out for those games.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
roshiajin said:

:eek:
The NHL certainly doesn't need the hype do they as they are so overwhelmed
with fan interest now. :dunno:

Why wouldn't they feel better.Their revenues are probably going to be at
least $10,000,000.00 a year(conservative estimate)more than 2003-2004
and they have added a superstar player at a minimum salary.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Mario-Crosby-Recchi
Malone-Kraft-Morozov
Beech-Malkin-Armstrong
Koltsov-Pirjeta-Bradley

That is NOT a forward group that will make the playoffs. You better have the best D in the league and a top 10 goalie if you think those forward lines get top 8 in either conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad