NHL's Greatest Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Alain Racette said:
My dad alwyas loved the checking line of Gainey-Carbonneau-Nilan.

Gainey-Jarvis-Chartraw (or Jim Roberts) was a great shut down line as well. Gainey was relentless on defense, including being a punishing body checker, Jarvis was a whiz at defensive zone faceoffs and Chartraw provided muscle.

Thricecube

Jun 7, 2005
Courtenay, BC
DayWalk3r said:
M. Naslund - P. Forsberg - N. Sundstrom (Greatest WJC Line Ever)

btw. Forsberg holds the record for most points by any player in the WJC, with 31 Points in only 7 games.

Doesn't Naslund hold the record for most goals in that same WJC with something like 15?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
renberg - lindros - leclair The Legion of Doom Pha
Bill Barber - Bobby Clarke - Reggie Leach Pha
Fedyk-Lindros-Recchi The Crazy 8's Line Pha

The Barber, Clarke, Leach line was called the LCB Line if you want to add that.

isles52480

Feb 27, 2002
Portland, OR
Visit site
For 1-2 punches I seem to remember Trottier and Bossy putting up some decent numbers together

As for a 5 man unit and a goalie, might not win every shift but i'll go to war with

Bossy - Trottier - Gillies
Potvin - Persson
Smith

Any day of the week against any unit from any era. Again, not saying they'll beat every unit every shift, but I'll roll the dice with them.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
A couple Wings combos/lines/etc...

The original Grind Line was Maltby - Draper - Kocur.

The Wings had a hell of a 1-2-3 punch of Konstantinov - Lidstrom - Coffey for a few years. All three were in Norris contention in a 4 year span ('95-'98+).

Since '99 they've had a 1-2 punch of Lidstrom - Chelios and they finished 1-2 in Norris voting in '02 (first time ever for teammates I believe).

Also in '01-'02 they flirted with a 600+ goal line of Robitaille - Yzerman - Hull but it didn't work out too well. In the end for the playoffs that year there was a great run by Shanahan - Fedorov - Yzerman.

Draper - Maltby are inseperable as a PK pairing and among the league's best for a few years now.

And arguably the greatest 1-2 PUNCH ever Bob Probert and Joey Kocur.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Leaf Lander said:
Tanguay - Forsberg - Hejduk Col
I still think the more impressive line was:

Kamensky-Forsberg-C.Lemieux

and for N.J.:

Elias-Arnott-Sykora

These two lines were poetry in motion, surging, cycling, passing, with enough grit for the corners and front of the net, yet always with remarkable puck movement from anywhere to anywhere: unpredictable and dynamic, these lines were like breathing organisms: unpredictable and adaptive to the opposition... I saw games just to watch them.

KingsFanInRI

Waiting 4 next year
Aug 27, 2005
Outside Providence
I'm going to chime in for Kings Nation here (stop laughing damn it! ;)

Outside of the Triple Crown Line, the Kings had the LAPD Line of Jason Allison Ziggy Palffy and Adam Deadmarsh, they had the International Skate Line of Tomas Sandstrom, Jari Kurri and Luc Robitaille and now they have Run DFC, Pavol Demitra, Alex Frolov and Craig Conroy. During the Cup run in '93 they had the All-American Line of Tony Granato, Cory Millen and John McIntyre who were a huge part of that run. Back in the day they had the Jet Line of Eddie Joyal Cowboy Flett and Real "Frenchy" Lemieux.

You must also consider the 1-2 punch of 99 and Bernie Nicholls in 1988-89. Bernie went from 70 points in 87-88 to 150 points playing with 99. Greatest single-season improvement in NHL history and the highest point total to not lead one's own team in scoring.

KingsFanInRI

Waiting 4 next year
Aug 27, 2005
Outside Providence
norrisnick said:
And arguably the greatest 1-2 PUNCH ever Bob Probert and Joey Kocur.
and the greatest goon line would be the Oilers unit in the early 90's of Geoff Beukeboom, Kelly Buchberger and Dave Brown. The Nothing but Trouble line.

Ogopogo*

KingsFanInRI said:
and the greatest goon line would be the Oilers unit in the early 90's of Geoff Beukeboom, Kelly Buchberger and Dave Brown. The Nothing but Trouble line.

Beukeboom was a defenseman.

Wetcoaster

My picks would have to be the two lines that had all the members finish as the top three scorers in the NHL. That to me demonstrates the line as the most dominant in the league.

The Bruins' Kraut Line 1939-40 with Milt Schmidt, Woody Dumart, and Bobby Bauer.

The Wings' Production Line 1949-50 with Ted Lindsey, Sid Abel and Gordie Howe.

While not a line per se but two lines plus Bobby Orr - you would also have to consider the Bruins of 1970-71. Esposito, Orr, Bucyk and Hodge finished 1,2,3 & 4 in league scoring with Cashman, McKenzie and Stanfield clocking in at 7,8 & 9. That edition of the Bruins scored 399 goals - the next closest team was the Habs with 291 goals. That is absolutely astonishing.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
WHA Winnipeg Jets

Hull-Nilson-Hedberg

Poetry in motion. first North American line I ever saw that criss-crossed positions. Awesome to watch them break out of their zone. They revolutionized hockey- bringing the European style to North America. Way ahead of their time. Gretzy should bow at their shrine.

GarretJoseph*

not a fan of the Thrashers but I'd have to consider this line...

Ilya Kovalchuk - Marc Savard - Marian Hossa

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
1-2 punch:
Gomez - Mogilny
Niedermayer - Stevens
Lydman - Numminen (The FINNISH Conection ;))

Briere - Tkachuk - Amonte
Thse guys HAD to get playing time in Phoenix.

gamera

Jan 3, 2006
Kovalchuk Army HQ
GarretJoseph said:
not a fan of the Thrashers but I'd have to consider this line...

Ilya Kovalchuk - Marc Savard - Marian Hossa

Hartley's actually split them and Hossa plays on the second line

Kovy-Savard-Petro
Koslov-Stefan-Hossa

our announcers actually call them lines 1 and 1a ;)

kindof a one-two punch in and of itself :)

Last edited:

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
Finland's greatest lines:

Ville Peltonen-Saku Koivu-Jere Lehtinen (aka the Huey-Dewey-Louie line)
WJC 1993...................7.12+22=34
Lillehammer 1994..........8.11+6=17
World Champ. 1994.......8.12+12=24
World Champ. 1995.......8.13+15=28
World Cup 1996............4.4+7=11
Nagano 1998...............1.2+2=4 (Bronze Medal game)

Jere Lehtinen-Saku Koivu-Teemu Selänne
NHL All Star Game 1998..........1.3+6=9
Nagano 1998........................4.9+14=23
World Cup 2004....................6.5+7=12 (all three players suffered from injuries)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->