NHL's cloud to follow NBA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
After all the "Nobody notices hockey is missing" crap we've taken from flacks I am so rooting for a protracted work stoppage in the NBA. Modano's comments wouldn't make anyone blink compaired to the idiocy that will come out of the NBAPA>

And if Donald Fehr encouraged Goodenow to hold firm I can't wish enough misfortune on him for using our sport as cannon fodder for his roiders.

X0ssbar

Looks like these guys are gonna have one more go at it before locking out:

"Billy Hunter had promised to make one more call to NBA commissioner David Stern, and he wasted little time picking up the phone. As a result, collective bargaining talks between owners and players will resume Friday."

Link

So what's the over/under on "we continue to have philosophical differences" coming out of this meeting?

..or better yet...who really cares? :dunno:

MHA

Mar 28, 2004
www.buffalorange.com
Drury_Sakic said:
all the more reason for the NHL to get a deal done NOW...

so that their sport is in full swing when the NBA starts getting dirty... and when MLB is getting its 10 year lockout ready....

Goodenow's preface that the PA will be getting a swing of the "power" in teh spring/summer....might be right(the reasons were wrong, but anyways)...

not that he gets power...just that the league might/should give a bit more to get a deal done as not to risk a 2 union war..

lol. The NHL owners who lost a year of hockey will concede now to the person they hate the most, Bob Goodenow. What are you stupid, the players will get destroyed in this CBA no matter what happens in the NBA. No way the NHL owners ever concede to Goodenow

MHA

Mar 28, 2004
www.buffalorange.com
Hasbro said:
After all the "Nobody notices hockey is missing" crap we've taken from flacks I am so rooting for a protracted work stoppage in the NBA. Modano's comments wouldn't make anyone blink compaired to the idiocy that will come out of the NBAPA>

And if Donald Fehr encouraged Goodenow to hold firm I can't wish enough misfortune on him for using our sport as cannon fodder for his roiders.

NBA players will back their union until X-mas time and then give in. We've already seen it, NBA players spend a lot of money and can't afford to lose a years salary.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
MHA said:
NBA players will back their union until X-mas time and then give in. We've already seen it, NBA players spend a lot of money and can't afford to lose a years salary.
Oh I'm sure. I just want it to last awhile past the world series.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
Cawz said:
I hear you man.

I think a lot of the people who dont like basketball dont play it, and so dont understand it. Kind of the same reason hockey isnt that popular. If you dont play it and you werent raised with it, you wont understand the finer points.

Everyone loves goals and body checks, slam dunks and blocks, but you have to be a real fan to understand cycling and pinching in from the point, pick n rolls and the timing of alley-oops.

If any real sports fan is tuning out the NBA playoffs right now due to their bias against bball, youre missing out on some great matchups.

Aside from some rather bad injuries, I used to play basketball whenever I could as a teenager. I loved to play it, still do (though advancing age and past injuries catching up to me kinda limit how much I can play). But around the late 80s, early 90s I started to lose pretty much all interest in watching it. Myriad of reasons why. By the mid 90s it just became unbearable for me to watch.

Even the rare glimpses of basketball I see now, I can still spot if a player is not fundamentally sound or see gaps in offensive/defensive schemes (those haven't changed over the years, just been tweaked). Just lost my passion for the game, grew out of it. It happens, and I'm probably not the only one its happened to.

Time tends to play some interesting tricks on you.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
cw7 said:
Aside from some rather bad injuries, I used to play basketball whenever I could as a teenager. I loved to play it, still do (though advancing age and past injuries catching up to me kinda limit how much I can play). But around the late 80s, early 90s I started to lose pretty much all interest in watching it. Myriad of reasons why. By the mid 90s it just became unbearable for me to watch.

Even the rare glimpses of basketball I see now, I can still spot if a player is not fundamentally sound or see gaps in offensive/defensive schemes (those haven't changed over the years, just been tweaked). Just lost my passion for the game, grew out of it. It happens, and I'm probably not the only one its happened to.

Time tends to play some interesting tricks on you.
I grew up watching it in the 80's as well and also lost interest in the mid 90s. The last few years have been more entertaining (this current series notwithstanding. It is intreguing though, each team being blown out on the road...)

There are many young players that are causing the NBA to be more entertaining the last couple years (since the deep Lebron draft).

Hockey could have an upswing as well, with the number of young superstars and the promise of a more open game. Hopefully that happens.

So ya, I'll stand by my quote from weeks ago. Mad respect, Reggie Miller.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
I like both hockey and basketball too, and I've never understood the rivalry that's developed between the two fanbases. A lot of hockey fans seem to feel a need to dish hate at the NBA because it's more popular, while a lot of basketball fans feel they are too hip to follow hockey. Maybe I'm generalizing, but I just don't get the hate. I have 0 interest in baseball, but I'm not bubbling with glee at the prospect of a baseball lockout. I don't care if they lockout one way or another... my interest in the sport would be the same either way. Rooting for a sport you have no interest in to lockout seems pretty nonsensical to me.

HeShootseyScores

Jun 6, 2005
Nashville
MLB sees now that owners not caving at the last minute can bring about real change to their sport . . . the next MLB stoppage is going to be nightmare.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
HeShootseyScores said:
MLB sees now that owners not caving at the last minute can bring about real change to their sport . . . the next MLB stoppage is going to be nightmare.

I agree. It will probably be worse and 1994. I'm looking for a lost season there. The small(er)-market baseball owners (and there are A LOT) are going to finally want their salary cap. George Steinbrenner won't have enough money to pay the other owners off to get it. Not only that but I can't wait for that Yankees firesale! Espically since the Red Sox's firesale won't be all that big. I see George having to cut his payroll in half almost.

Lest we forget....the NFL...their CBA expires after the 2006-07 I beleive but if a deal isn't done after this upcoming season they drop the salary cap.

HeShootseyScores

Jun 6, 2005
Nashville
go kim johnsson said:
Lest we forget....the NFL...their CBA expires after the 2006-07 I beleive but if a deal isn't done after this upcoming season they drop the salary cap.

That is correct. The NHL is just the first one to go through this kind of mess. We take our lumps now and thrive later (hopefully).

Our local NFL team will not survive without a salary cap. It would be like Kansas City or Pittsburgh in MLB.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
Cawz said:
I grew up watching it in the 80's as well and also lost interest in the mid 90s. The last few years have been more entertaining (this current series notwithstanding. It is intreguing though, each team being blown out on the road...)

There are many young players that are causing the NBA to be more entertaining the last couple years (since the deep Lebron draft).

Hockey could have an upswing as well, with the number of young superstars and the promise of a more open game. Hopefully that happens.

I just can't get interested anymore. Even the excellent young players that have come on the scene in the last five or so years can't rekindle any spark I once had for basketball. No amount of intrigue or good storylines can pull me back in. But that's just me. I'm not ragging on anyone who does find it interesting or compelling. If you like the sport, then you like it (I used to appreciate it so I can see the reason why people do). Nothing wrong with that at all.

Maybe I'm not the right person to comment on this. Ever since I was a kid, I've been very interested in some sports that weren't exactly on the top of the popularity chart, especially here in the south. Hockey, soccer, Aussie rules, cycling. Thankfully I like football as well (mostly college), so I wasn't a total outcast in that respect.

But to each his own.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Cawz said:

Reggie Miller will be remembered for 3 things...

Playoffs,3-pointers, and his ears...... :yo:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
One thing that the NBA did right and the NHL needs to follow suit on is this ad I saw yesterday watching the Finals (nothing better to watch). They had all the stars of the league and the key figures of the playoffs just say "Thank you for being fans and loving our game." Nothing big and fancy just a show of appreciation. The NHL and the 'PA needs to go on a campaign blitz like that.

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
I anyone else completly annoyed that the NBA has copied the NHL in putting the trophy as the final logo? for one its a rip off that the NHL will never get credit for and two, that trophy is nothing special to me, its hardly a stanley cup.

Last year the Dodgers and Cards shook hands after a series, while this will probably not be the norm it came directly from hockey.

NBA, NFL and MLB allways had trophy presentations in the lockerroom. The NHL used to be unique in their stanly cup in front of fans, now those sports latch onto that idea.

why can't the NBA copy the NHL's bad ideas like cancelling the season.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
joepeps said:
Reggie Miller will be remembered for 3 things...

Playoffs,3-pointers, and his ears...... :yo:
And the fact that he played his entire career with the team that drafted him. 18 seasons with the same team! Will we ever see that sort of loyalty in sports again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->