NHL's cloud to follow NBA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Not really sure if I should put this here.. but anyways.. here it goes...

http://tsn.ca/nba/news_story.asp?id=125166

Article states some turns for the worse in the negoitaitons, but they are no where near where the NHL was at this point last spring...

Paybacks a ***** NBA fans...

and NHL owners.... (the 15 who own NHL and NBA teams)... are you ready to fight a 2 front war?

Settle with the NHLPA, use that deal as a base for your argument against the NBA players...Don't have/let the two unions working together against you...

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Liked this quote from an NBA agent
"I can understand why NHL owners locked out their players," Bartelstein said. "I can even understand the last NBA lockout. Those systems didn't work. This one does. And I think the league is going to have a hard time justifying a work stoppage to the fans. This isn't a strike. Players are willing to abide by the current deal. This is owners telling players that they can't come to work."
Be nice to for the NHL to have some alone time to reestablish itself. ESPN will have to find something to fill the three hours a night they devote to LeBron.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
If you think the NBA's labor stife is going to be bad... consider Major League Baseball's when it comes around. There's a good chance that steroids could be added to the already volatile mix of fake tax and overpaid players.

IMO their squabbles will be even moreso laughable than the NHL's

It's going to be an uphill battle for the NHL to make itself known again, but these two Mickey Mouse leagues should help prop the NHL back with relative ease. It's going to feel good telling those naysaying fans to shove it.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I doubt the NBA gets a new agreement in place before their CBA expires June 30th.

but I'm not sure whether it will end up being a lengthy lockout as the issues between NBA owners and players aren't as bad as those between NHL owners and players were/are.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
futurcorerock said:
If you think the NBA's labor stife is going to be bad... consider Major League Baseball's when it comes around.

MLB is headed for a long lockout for sure.

Their system needs to be fixed, probably even more so than the NHL's did.

There are a lot of owners like the Pittsburgh Pirates owner who are fed up with the system and tired of having every winter being a shopping spree for the other teams handing out 10 million dollar contracts to above average players.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
MLB has allowed the rich teams to make a mockery of their last CBA...by rhe time MLB starts negotiating their new deal, Goodenow will be Fehr's new right hand cronie...

WC Handy*

McDonald19 said:
MLB is headed for a long lockout for sure.

Especially since by then they'll be the only league w/o a cap...

There are a lot of owners like the Pittsburgh Pirates owner who are fed up with the system and tired of having every winter being a shopping spree for the other teams handing out 10 million dollar contracts to above average players.

While your point is valid, I don't think Pittsburgh applies here. Where they are is as much a reflection of their own decisions as it is baseball's system. They've traded many players simply because it was the end of the year (players that were under contract for the following year(s)) and other teams wanted them. They haven't even tried to keep their star players and build around them. And, they failed with their new stadium. They should have done what both Philly and San Diego did and start building their team up a couple years before the new stadium so they have a competitive team going into the new stadium. Instead, they decided they could have a crap team for the first couple years and get away with it and it backfired on them.

ABunker

Feb 11, 2005
It could be the beginning end of all major professional sports if they lock all 3 of them out, and the fans find better uses for the money they had been spending on over-priced tickets.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Drury_Sakic said:
Not really sure if I should put this here.. but anyways.. here it goes...

http://tsn.ca/nba/news_story.asp?id=125166

Article states some turns for the worse in the negoitaitons, but they are no where near where the NHL was at this point last spring...

and NHL owners.... (the 15 who own NHL and NBA teams)... are you ready to fight a 2 front war?

Settle with the NHLPA, use that deal as a base for your argument against the NBA players...Don't have/let the two unions working together against you...

I kept mentioning this back when the NHL cancelled this season. There is no way all 15 owners will stand for both the NHL and NBA out of work.

However, I think we all know that most if not all of those 15 would choose the NBA over the NHL.

WC Handy*

go kim johnsson said:
However, I think we all know that most if not all of those 15 would choose the NBA over the NHL.

Considering the NBA is profitable, I think it's safe to say that they'd choose to keep the NHL locked out if they had to choose.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Baseball will fix nothing in the new CBA. Big owners pay bribe money to small markets and small markets bend over and take it. Everyone is making money now, even if it means that some teams will never ever compete for anything and that the fans in cities who took on debt for decades to come in building new stadiums built on empty promises were lied to and are the only ones left out in the cold. Mark my words, nothing other than cosmetic changes will come of baseballs new CBA because the ones who have a say in this, the owners, found a way to all make money and the fans, idiots that they are, keep coming to see a system where only a handful of teams, absent an odd exception now and then, have any legit shot year in year out. Fully half the teams or more in MLB have no real shot at anything and may get into the playoffs once a decade if that while the rich teams have their places set every single year.

saskhab

May 12, 2004
Saskatoon
www.puckworlds.com
Maybe this is why some have suggested that Goodenow is using June 30 as the new deadline...

The advantage the NBA has is that the CBA expires on June 30, but they don't have to institute a lockout until the season is ready to start. They could go a couple months with no CBA and still negotiate.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
This is great news for the NHL. Half of NBA owners own NHL teams and would never want to see two of there pro teams at the same time not play games. I always saw this NBA situation as a good thing for the NHL, and now that Stern is even agreeing they might have a problem, a smile wide not only because I hate the NBA, but because it helps the NHL get back on the ice.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
WC Handy said:
Especially since by then they'll be the only league w/o a cap...

While your point is valid, I don't think Pittsburgh applies here. Where they are is as much a reflection of their own decisions as it is baseball's system. They've traded many players simply because it was the end of the year (players that were under contract for the following year(s)) and other teams wanted them. They haven't even tried to keep their star players and build around them. And, they failed with their new stadium. They should have done what both Philly and San Diego did and start building their team up a couple years before the new stadium so they have a competitive team going into the new stadium. Instead, they decided they could have a crap team for the first couple years and get away with it and it backfired on them.

If you would have followed them, you would know that is what they did. They had a payroll in the mid $50 million range when their new ballpark opened. Didn't matter. The Yankees, Red Sox and Dadgers are still able to buy their teams while other teams remain their AAA teams. Sorry, but the Yankees having a $200 million payroll (Before the Luxury Tax), while most other teams struggle to break even with a $45 million payroll is bad for the game.

WC Handy*

craig1 said:
If you would have followed them, you would know that is what they did. They had a payroll in the mid $50 million range when their new ballpark opened. Didn't matter. The Yankees, Red Sox and Dadgers are still able to buy their teams while other teams remain their AAA teams. Sorry, but the Yankees having a $200 million payroll (Before the Luxury Tax), while most other teams struggle to break even with a $45 million payroll is bad for the game.

I'm curious what I said that made you believe that I think the current MLB system works.

My comments were strictly about the decisions that the Pittsburgh Pirates made. As for them... Here's the Pirates roster from 2001. Don't tell me they tried to compete.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
nyrmessier011 said:
This is great news for the NHL. Half of NBA owners own NHL teams and would never want to see two of there pro teams at the same time not play games. I always saw this NBA situation as a good thing for the NHL, and now that Stern is even agreeing they might have a problem, a smile wide not only because I hate the NBA, but because it helps the NHL get back on the ice.
Given the piss poor pr of the NBAPA during their last lockout, NHL players can't help but look good in comparison.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Hasbro said:
Given the piss poor pr of the NBAPA during their last lockout, NHL players can't help but look good in comparison.

What?

You mean comments like "We make a lot of money, but we spend a lot of money too..." didn't help Joe Fan feel that union love? :dunno:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
WC Handy said:
I'm curious what I said that made you believe that I think the current MLB system works.

My comments were strictly about the decisions that the Pittsburgh Pirates made. As for them... Here's the Pirates roster from 2001. Don't tell me they tried to compete.

No, they actually did sign some players and had a decent salary level when they opened the stadium, toward the middle of the road. But your overall point is valid, whatever small revenue clubs owners are saying, actions mean much more than words. The owners can make a profit with the welfare check that the big clubs send. Hell, the Pirates got almost $70 million before selling a ticket and still had a payroll just over $30 million this year. That is the problem and reason why baseball will have little if any changes next CBA. Where is the incentitive if you are an owner, big or small market?

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Drury_Sakic said:
What payback? What are you talking about?

I dont see a work stoppage happening in the NBA. Both sides have too good of a thing going, unlike the NHL. The NBA system needs some tweaking at most, and thats not worth missing part of the season. The NHL system needed an enema...

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
futurcorerock said:
If you think the NBA's labor stife is going to be bad... consider Major League Baseball's when it comes around. There's a good chance that steroids could be added to the already volatile mix of fake tax and overpaid players.
Yes there very well could be an oncoming MLB trainwreck, but I don't think steroids will be a major factor - there will be resolution on that before 2007.

There is already pressure on the MLBPA from owners, media, fans, and many players to accept more stringent testing and harsher penalties. They also recognize the spectre of political realities that could lead to Congressional action that would be much more draconian than anything Selig has proposed if they don't cut a deal.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
kdb209 said:
Yes there very well could be an oncoming MLB trainwreck, but I don't think steroids will be a major factor - there will be resolution on that before 2007.

There is already pressure on the MLBPA from owners, media, fans, and many players to accept more stringent testing and harsher penalties. They also recognize the spectre of political realities that could lead to Congressional action that would be much more draconian than anything Selig has proposed if they don't cut a deal.

God I hope that the MLBPA fights this . . . let congress take the anti-trust protections away from baseball. Another team in NY, one in NJ . . .another team in Boston, let us see those markets opened up to more competition. Best thing that could ever happen to baseball and quickest why to take Steinbrenner's toys away from him.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Jaded-Fan said:
Originally Posted by kdb209

God I hope that the MLBPA fights this . . . let congress take the anti-trust protections away from baseball. Another team in NY, one in NJ . . .another team in Boston, let us see those markets opened up to more competition. Best thing that could ever happen to baseball and quickest why to take Steinbrenner's toys away from him.

Taking away what's left of Baseball's Anti Trust Exemption (all the labor issues were gutted with the Curt Flood Act in '98) would do absolutely nothing towards adding more teams (in NY, NJ, or Boston). Baseballs ability to limit the number and location of franchises has absolutely nothing to do with anti-trust protections.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
kdb209 said:
Taking away what's left of Baseball's Anti Trust Exemption (all the labor issues were gutted with the Curt Flood Act in '98) would do absolutely nothing towards adding more teams (in NY, NJ, or Boston). Baseballs ability to limit the number and location of franchises has absolutely nothing to do with anti-trust protections.

Are you sure about that? I am not an anti-trust attorney, and admit as much, but I think that I read somewhere that removing the protection would in effect allow competition in closed markets that could easily support more franchises, like NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad