NHLPA tells us what (somewhat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
vanlady said:
Over the last 10 years the owners have messed up this league badly. The players have agreed to a 24% rollback as part of any settlement, as well as other concessions. But it is not solely the players responsibility to fix the problems created in the last 10 years.

Regardless of who created the mess the players will have to help clean it up. Over the last 10 years they benefited greatly from that 'mess', and (understandably) are having a tough time with the realization that its over. It may not be fair but they will probably have to relinquish the most.

The future of the league is going to be dependant on the players to promote it. The players are going to have to increase public appearences, spend more time autographing and media appearances. Why, to win back the fans and try and bring back the game. The owners are not going to have to bust there butts to fix the mess that is going to follow this lockout, again that is going to fall to the players, so yes they should be entitled to reap some of the rewards of there hard work, by increases in the cap.
Yeah the owners will just kick back and do nothing. ;)
Its in the players (and owners) best interest to do as much as they can to promote the game. We are supposed to feel sorry for the players and demand they be compensated for it? :shakehead
God forbid they should have to give something back to the communities.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
NYFAN said:
If you look at the NHL as a whole, its just like the real world. The minority are making the huge dollars we hear about. The majority of players are making reasonable money for what they do. Its contracts like the ones Holik, Jagr, Pronger, etc have that make it seem so out of touch! Because it pales to your comparison doesn't make it a non issue. It is definitely a factor in reaching an agreement. As for dangerous jobs, I had one of the most dangerous jobs on the planet, working on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier, but I don't think they shouldn't be well paid because I wasn't. These guys are the best of the best. In any sports or entertain ment job, the best of the best are more highly compensated than their peers. Its just a simple fact. And evryone who is now screaming about what they make, who regularly watched the NHL and bought tickets and merchandise, should be ashamed of themselves.

Good work shooting down your own arguments that the players deserve the money because their jobs are so dangerous.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
vanlady said:
Over the last 10 years the owners have messed up this league badly. The players have agreed to a 24% rollback as part of any settlement, as well as other concessions. But it is not solely the players responsibility to fix the problems created in the last 10 years.

If we were half way through a CBA and they took a 24% paycut they would be fixing it. But we aren't. The players are not being asked to "fix" anything, they are effectively tendering on future work. They are locked out, their contracts aren't worth spit. The players are "giving up" 24% of their lockout pay? 24% of NOTHING. 24% of nothing is, umm, well nothing, nada, zip, zero.

The sooner the players stop thinking about what used to be and start thinking about securing a new deal from stratch the easier it will be to get the deal done. Right now they've given up 24% of nothing and won a cap worth up to $42.5m. Hey that isn't bad going.

Same way most businesses work. If you want a bunch of contractors to build an investment house you don't care that they used to for X dollars, its whether the new quote of Y dollars is viable. Until the NHLPA is prepared to put in a bid that is viable for the NHL, nothing much is going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->