Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The NHLPA and NHL are still fighting over some outstanding issues

Sources say the two sides still haven't agreed on what would happen if new revenue sources are discovered by the league two or three years into a new CBA and that's part of what's holding up the talks.

"Right now, the NHLPA is grinding out the league on the few remaining issues. The league wants to get this done and the union wants to make them sweat a bit, so they're fighting it tooth and nail," a league source said.

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hockey/2005/07/12/1127378-sun.html

The league is said to have been frustrated that the Players Association didn't bend the other knee in abject submission as the sides worked to codify a collective bargaining agreement that will only be regarded as a massive triumph for management.

The process of putting concepts and issues into legal verbiage is expected to continue as the sides seek a complete document to present to their constituents.

There was a suggestion yesterday that the process had got bogged down as the union resisted the league on some issues, perhaps digging in its heels after players began reacting to the scope of their concessions.

On the other side, there was the suggestion that the league was turning the screws on the union, trying to wrest further concessions from the players

http://www.nypost.com/sports/49765.htm

:shakehead

chiavsfan

Ahhh, yes. More PA bantering...
"We could have gotten a better deal in February..."
"We are so sorry, we want to get back on the ice"
"We are sorry to the fans, now lets get the game back on the ice"

wait......

"STALLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!"

Maybe Goodenow is still in charge huh?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
go kim johnsson said:
See you in August

Not necessarily

A rumour surfaced last night that the NHL has ordered a full-page ad for Thursday's edition of USA Today thanking hockey fans for their patience during the lockout. If true, that could be an indication that agreement on a contract is imminent.

The league has a full board of governors meeting slated for next Monday and it's expected that's when the new deal will be presented

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...ageid=968867503640&col=970081593064&t=TS_Home

As long as the deal is completed by the BOG meeting on Monday,they are still on track but today is July 12.Another two weeks was in early June.Now it's approaching another two months

chiavsfan

I'm starting to think this whole thing is just a big episode of Seinfeld

"What are we meeting about"
"nothing"
"What?"
"Nothing...everyone else is meeting about something...we'll meet about nothing"
"So we meet with the NHL, and tell then we have a CBA idea about nothing"
"Exactly"
"I think you may have something"

Sorry about that

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
chiavsfan said:
I'm starting to think this whole thing is just a big episode of Seinfeld

"What are we meeting about"
"nothing"
"What?"
"Nothing...everyone else is meeting about something...we'll meet about nothing"
"So we meet with the NHL, and tell then we have a CBA idea about nothing"
"Exactly"
"I think you may have something"

Sorry about that

So who is Newman?
Kramer?
Soup Natzi?
Crazy Joe Davola?
Mulva?
Bubble Boy = Brian McCabe :sarcasm:

A Good Flying Bird*

RangerBoy said:

Sources say the two sides still haven't agreed on what would happen if new revenue sources are discovered by the league two or three years into a new CBA and that's part of what's holding up the talks.

How is this an issue? Shouldn't 54 percent of it go straight to the players?

RangerBoy said:
. There was a suggestion yester...s two different ways of saying the same thing

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
RangerBoy said:

This is a huge issue right here, and goes back to the disclosure agreement I assmue they worked on. Any new revenue stream should go into the 50 percent, but that is dependent on disclosure from the owners, and there needs to be harsh penalties for people caught hiding new revenue.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Total capitulation, is not fair negotiating...

I've been on the side of the NHL, since this lockout began. However, it sounds like the NHL wants total capitulation by the PA. The NHL has its cap and rollback, now it's time for them to give something, whether it's honoring 2004/2005 contracts or arbitration rights. For the good of the game, get this deal done.

AH

Nov 21, 2004
Woodbridge, ON
I posted this yesterday in a different thread and I will post it here ....

The problem is becoming more and more apparent: There is no deadline for the sides to reach an agreement. There is no time clock ticking away precious minutes. There is no "drop dead date" looming over these guys collective heads.

I have not read all those threads with Sluggo's comments so I apologize if this has been stated. I would not be at all surprised if Booby G. is playing it up in the background, deadline hunting once again. Whether these get this thing done today, tomorrow, or October 1st, it doesn't really matter to the PA, who will try to extract as much as they can for themselves to get a better deal. They know they have already lost by having a deal with a salary cap in the new CBA.

Even the tentative dates for the draft are July 30th or August 6th if the "ratification" takes longer than anticipated. Can anyone tell me what's the difference between holding the draft July 30th, August 6th, or September 30th?

Even if they start the free agency period in early August, it is still not enough time for all the teams to get their house in order after such a long layoff by the time training camp starts.

Also, what does the PA gain by making a deal NOW vs making a deal in two months?

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Remember that when the last negotiation was reshed to the public, there were still a lot of "i's to dot and t's to cross", which in good faith the NHL boys said they'd agree to do after the ratification process.

The PA just refused to make those changes, even though they had agreed to keep negotiating them with a specific framework (basically it was a legal language issue). As a result they never were sdone and included.

This time around the NHL is saying it has to be all in. I get that.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

This is a significant issue. The inclusion or exclusion of new revenue sources should be subject to arbitration. Otherwise owners can find loopholes to define revenues. For example, in the NFL, attendance revenues are split 60:40 (home:away) between all teams. But luxury box revenues and club seat revenues are considered separate. Personal seat licensing (PSL's) was another attempt to circumvent revenue sharing. This isn't just an issue for the NHLPA. The owners themselves need to close loopholes to prevent the large market teams from excluding major sources of revenue from the formula.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad