NHLPA members may soon be looking for replacement fans!!!

Discussion in 'The Business of Hockey' started by eye, Apr 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eye

eye Registered User

Home Page:
    I realize there has been some movement and that both sides are closer to an agreement now than they were back in September 2004. The NHLPA must realize that they have only a few weeks left to come to grips with the reality of the economics of the game and that any proposal or agreement must come in at around 55% max of gross revenues.

If not they they will be looking for replacement fans. We are sick and tired of the delays and even most of us that disagree can see that the final agreement will come in at around 55% so get on with it already. :madfire:

2. Timmy

Timmy Registered User

Awards:
    Seeing as how I'm still on these boards, I obviously would be lying if I said I don't care anymore.

However, my ticket money has been redirected for a year now, and it may be a little tough to justify NHL tickets again for a long time. Re-do a bathroom, update the car, etc. etc. There's more fulfilling ways to spend money than watch people I have little respect for play a game for me after completely disregarding me as a fan.

I'll watch it on TV, of course, but that'll be about it for a couple of seasons. I don't know if this feeling is widespread or not, but it's one household.

In Vancouver.

3. Rush_fan

Rush_fan Registered User

V-22 Inspector
    Same here I used to get season tix to the Caps but that will not happen for awhile. I am using the money for my new deck on the house. Wife is very happy now.

4. Weary

Weary Registered User

Planning on watching the WHA instead?

5. FLYLine27*

FLYLine27* BUCH

PO
    Hes just POed that the nhl arent using scabs now so he ran on to make another useless rant. :shakehead

6. Hasbro

Hasbro Can He Skate?! Sponsor

Drone
    I know the Pioneers are going to be in action and cheaper to boot. I want tickets to Avs game, but it'll be a problem scrambling for them.

7. Charge_Seven

Charge_Seven Registered User

Anyone who believes that is simply put dumber than a post. All of you staunch NHL supporters will be back praising NHLPA members in no time.

8. ti-vite

ti-vite Registered User

Probably a recurring theme in many households since lockout began... :sarcasm:

9. Bruwinz37

Bruwinz37 Registered User

Sales
    We are the exception. We are not who the NHL should worry about. We obviously have deep issues that we spend as much time as we do on message boards when there is no hockey!
    :D

The other 95% of the paying fans is who they are worrying about. A good portion of them are gone for a while. Personally I am pretty fed up, but I will always watch the games, but anyone who is a moderate fan MUST be disgusted with this. Some of them are probably so arrogant (the players must be) to not even realize this, but it will be bad. That 38m cap is going to look pretty good to BOTH sides when this is all said and done.

10. futurcorerock

futurcorerock Registered User

eye is the official HFboards rant machine. He says it so we don't have to :sarcasm:

11. eye

eye Registered User

Home Page:
    I think your making a big assumption. Bettman never said no to replacements. Read between the lines.

If the PA don't come to terms with reality by the 24th of May the NHL will declare an Impasse and start up a new league under their terms and conditions. Players can then choose whether to sink on their PA ship or abandon ship and play in the new era NHL. I doubt they would even pass a strike vote as members want to resume playing hockey.

One of two things has to happen for NHL hockey to resume.

preferred option #1 - Goodenow gets fired or resigns

option #2 - NHL declares Impasse and starts a new league with a high % of cross over players and prospects with the balance of the league being replaced by high end minor league and Euro players. The result could prove to be an improved NHL.

Fans have already spoken out loud and clear that there is declining interest so don't take the title of this thread for granted. The PA may have already made that mistake. Taking fans for granted.

12. kdb209

kdb209 Global Moderator

The league cannot start up a "New League" with an impasse. All they can do is impose their last offer as an interim CBA. The PA would have to vote to strike or not - effectively a thumbs up or down on the offer in a full rank-and-file secret ballot vote. If the PA votes to strike, a labor fight is still on and their would be significant immigration issues for replacement players.

The NHL cannot just set up a new league under a new name with the same owners and sign the same players without getting their asses handed to them by the NLRB and the courts.

13. Hasbro

Drone
    I really think the Immigration issues are entirely overatted. We're dealing with an anti-labor administration, who is friendly with at least one owner. Hell Sebatian Janikowski hasn't been deported for all the crap he's gotten into.

14. kdb209

kdb209 Global Moderator

Immigration issues overrated, based on what expert opinion?

All hard evidence posted here has pointed the other way and others much more knowledgable (Wetcoaster et al) have made it seem pretty much cut and dried.

There is no comparison to Janikowski - that had nothing to do with labor issues. People from the ex-INS (I always screw up the acronyms for the 2 new depts under HS) have come out and said - Work Stoppage == no new visas/work permits.

Being a labor unfriendly administration doesn't do much if there are statutory limitations. And this labor unfriendly administration didn't do anything when immigration issues torpedoed the ECHL plans to use replacements during their strike, and as much as it distresses me to say this - Washington cares about as much for the NHL as it does the ECHL.

15. CGG

CGG Registered User

:dunno:

That's a pretty bizarre conclusion to draw from a quote from the NHL commissioner that said they won't launch a season of replacements if they don't have a deal. A month after the replacement option is shelved all of a sudden it'll be brought back from the dead? Nothing more than wishful thinking fantasyland stuff.

Not that it matters, but 2 of the famous 6 options would use replacement players with no hope of real players even having the option to cross, be it NHL players or minor league prospects. And those 2 would have been the "easiest" for the league to implement. Even that would have been a huge stretch frat with a bundle of potential problems and pitfalls.

But hey, keep hatin' the PA, and keep holding out hope that your favorite WCHL players will one day suit up in Might Ducks uniforms. Why any fan, no matter how bitter, would want this is beyond me.

16. Epsilon

Epsilon #TeamHolland

Totally meaningless. The administration is not going to start making exceptions to DHS rules specifically to benefit hockey teams. They'd get raked over the coals for being soft on national security if they start toying around with DHS for the benefit of business.

He's already in the United States, and has been "getting into crap" in the United States.

17. Victory Ali*

Victory Ali* Guest

The NHL lost me as a fan as soon as I found the WHL and the Thunderbirds during the lockout. The NHL really ****ed up with the fans this non-season. I'll watch on TV but I'm not spending money or going to NHL games anymore.

18. FLYLine27*

FLYLine27* BUCH

PO
    Read between the lines? Thats not reading between the lines that just coming up with an assumption, if the reason Bettman took the Scabs off the table was because half the owners did not want Scabs then a month those teams arent going to just change there mind, the owners know its a HORRIBLE business move to bring in scabs. And yes, that is my assumption, my opinion....like you have yours.

19. kdb209

kdb209 Global Moderator

While I agree that you are not goingto see a loosening of immigration rules for the NHL, keep in mind that this issue has nothing to do with national security - it's purely an immigration issue.

The INS was split up into Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and moved under the umbrella of the Dept of Homeland Security.

People keep bantering about being a DHS issue and make it seem more sinister than it really is.

20. ALF AmericanLionsFan

ALF AmericanLionsFan Registered User

teacher
    Home Page:
    I'm pretty patient, but no for me it is getting to the point where I'm about to jump ship. Start a new league or whatever it takes to play. This is way out of hand. :rant:

21. Trottier

Trottier Very Random

Marketing Executive
    Home Page:
    :)

22. Hasbro

Drone
    He's got at least on drug offence. Athletes/sports franchises are able to finagle preferential treatment in other situations before the law I think they'll get some leeway here and find ways to work around the situation.

23. mackdogs*

mackdogs* Guest

Perhaps you missed earlier in the thread where existing season ticket holders have decided not to purchase said tickets again. And, speaking for myself, the NHL won't be getting a cent from me any time soon (unless of course they go the replacement route). These are not hollow threats, nor is calling them hollow respectful.

24. GKJ

GKJ Global Moderator

I agree with you for once. I can tell you I know a lot of people who already aren't coming back.

I am a fan, I will always it is clear to me neither side cares at all about the fans or this would be done a long time ago. If both sides want to waste their time with this lockout, I sure as hell won't.

25. mr gib

mr gib Registered User

rock and roller
    Home Page:
    hey where ya been? you're always so cheery

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.