NHLPA Insane not to accept Offer!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Slapshot17 said:
It should be the basis for negotiations.

Goodenow can still save face by increasing the cap maximum by a few million and lowering the UFA age. If he can't do that maybe put a franchise player that doesn't count against the cap for each team. This offer should get the ball rolling enough to make a deal. I still don't see why a cap is any better than a 100 percent luxury tax. A cap is going to take all the fun out of trade deadline day, because Salaries will have to match. Getting the guy who will make the difference in your cup run may not be able to happen anymore.

Salaries will only have to match if both teams are at the cap. If one team has cap room, they won't.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Slapshot17 said:
It should be the basis for negotiations.

A cap is going to take all the fun out of trade deadline day, because Salaries will have to match.
Deadline day hasn't been much fun for the fans of most small market teams for a long time. Hope they make the deadline date a few weeks earlier as well.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
NHL Owners still refuse to revenue share regular season earnings. The UFA Age is still WAY too high if a salary cap was gonna be implemented, if you want it like the NFL the UFA age has to be 24 if you want a hard cap. The Profit sharing idea is good but im curious to how easy or how difficult it would be to hit that trigger mark. Basically I agree and see this deal as window dress from the one in September. I dont really see the NHLPA accepting this deal one bit. Plus TSN says the cap would be really 30-40 million cause player insurance are INCLUDED in the cap. SEASONS OVER.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
PeterSidorkiewicz said:
NHL Owners still refuse to revenue share regular season earnings. The UFA Age is still WAY too high if a salary cap was gonna be implemented, if you want it like the NFL the UFA age has to be 24 if you want a hard cap. The Profit sharing idea is good but im curious to how easy or how difficult it would be to hit that trigger mark. Basically I agree and see this deal as window dress from the one in September. I dont really see the NHLPA accepting this deal one bit. Plus TSN says the cap would be really 30-40 million cause player insurance are INCLUDED in the cap. SEASONS OVER.

The things you mention are the things the NHLPA should negotiate instead of just walking away from the table like they have been doing. If this really is the NHL's proposal, they have left room for some give and take. I can see the salary cap going up 5M or so. And I was saying years ago that the owners would trade a lower UFA age for a cap...the only question was how much of the season they would waste doing it.

Other Dave

Jan 7, 2003
New and improved in TO
Visit site
wazee said:
And that is a bad thing?

Yes, because

Other Dave said:
arbitration is supposed to be used as an upward pressure on salaries to help mitigate the effect of restricted free agency.

In other words, arbitration helps to make restricted free agency (as conceived in the last CBA) possible.

PS reading someone's entire post instead of just the first few words sometimes helps to formulate a more effective response.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
417 TO MTL said:
They'll accept it, and I have a feeling, they already have, although I still think a few things will get tweaked, there's is definately enough movement from the NHL (which is what the NHLPA wanted to see) for both sides to reach a "deal in principle"

Eklund...is that you? :D

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Drake1588 said:
$50M sounds much more like the final hard cap number we will see after compromise.

How can the owners ever consider a hard cap at 50 million. that would see the players able to leverage thier way into $1.5 billion in slaries which equates to over 70% of revenue. There is no way the owner will move past $45 million.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
The is offer looks to me as a basis for a deal. these are the area's that need tweaking for the players to really accept it.

1) the most important in the eye of the players would be the cap, but i think the profit sharing solves this, but i really think the player will fight to have the insurance and other cost outside of the cap. in essence it would push the cap up $2.0 million as that is what those costs are per team.

2) the players will want an earlier fa age. probably 28.

3) the arbitration at 75% will be to low for them, i see about 85% in the final deal.

4) the revenue sharing is not significant enought to allow team to come up to a $32 million dollar salary, so I see a system where say 25% of regular season revenue is put into the revenue sharing pot as well as the playoffs. This would have about 33% of the total revenue from the league being shared.

The players would come out better in the long run in a partnership agreement like this with the 50/50 profit sharing.

if the league revenue grows the cap will rise and the players will amnek more money. if the league revenue shrinks then the players will have to be ready to swallow some of those losses as well.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
wazee said:
Deadline day hasn't been much fun for the fans of most small market teams for a long time. Hope they make the deadline date a few weeks earlier as well.

It was brutal for those teams last year when:

Edmonton, Calgary, Nashville, Vancouver, Ottawa, and Tampa all made significant aquisitions late last year.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Chayos1 said:
How can the owners ever consider a hard cap at 50 million. that would see the players able to leverage thier way into $1.5 billion in slaries which equates to over 70% of revenue. There is no way the owner will move past $45 million.

How ??? ... because they know that unlike the NFL, where everyone spends to the cap or within a million of it ... that won't be the case in the NHL.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Scugs said:
Especially Vancouver :eek:

I guess it depends on the definition of significant. Sanderson, Rucinsky :shakehead or Bergevain. Whoo hoo, all I hope is Rucinsky is gone this year.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:
How ??? ... because they know that unlike the NFL, where everyone spends to the cap or within a million of it ... that won't be the case in the NHL.

That's not quite true. At the opening of training cap last summer, 12 NFL teams were $5 million or more under the cap. Three were $9 million of more under the cap. Some last-minute signings could have altered those numbers slightly, but several of those teams remained well over a million off the cap.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/clayton_john/1510617.html

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
CarlRacki said:
That's not quite true. At the opening of training cap last summer, 12 NFL teams were $5 million or more under the cap. Three were $9 million of more under the cap. Some last-minute signings could have altered those numbers slightly, but several of those teams remained well over a million off the cap.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/clayton_john/1510617.html

Numbers at training camp are far different then where they end up. A number of those teams hadn't signed their #1 picks as of yet.

Also teams have to leave a few million available to start the season. As players get injured and placed on IR, new players must be signed and fit under the cap. By seasons end, everyone is very very close to the cap number.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
vanlady said:
I guess it depends on the definition of significant. Sanderson, Rucinsky :shakehead or Bergevain. Whoo hoo, all I hope is Rucinsky is gone this year.

And Sanderson was so significant the Nucks wouldn't agree to a deal on Sanderson unless Columbus agreed to take him back on waivers after the playoffs.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
me2 said:
And Sanderson was so significant the Nucks wouldn't agree to a deal on Sanderson unless Columbus agreed to take him back on waivers after the playoffs.

That's because of his salary and length of contract, not skill level.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
It was brutal for those teams last year when:

Edmonton, Calgary, Nashville, Vancouver, Ottawa, and Tampa all made significant aquisitions late last year.
hehehe. I looked over a list of deadline deals from last year. You and I have a different definition of the word 'significant'. :)

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
wazee said:
hehehe. I looked over a list of deadline deals from last year. You and I have a different definition of the word 'significant'. :)

Edmonton
Nedved
Markkanen

Calgary
Nilson
Simon
Nieminen

Nashville
Hnidy
Zholtok
Bombadier
Sullivan

Ottawa
De Vries
Bondra
Simpson

Vancouver
Sanderson
Bergevin
Rucinsky

Tampa
Sydor

Montreal
Kovalev

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
There are reports today that the NHL and NHLPA talked via conference call. At the top of the hour, which is in 7 minutes, everyone go to www.fan590.com, and click on "Listen Live". They have a 20/20 update, and they have a sound clip from a reporter saying they did indeed talk today, and infact over the weekend.

Roger's Pancreas*

Revnue sharing is crap and shouldn't be included in the new CBA in any form. This is a business, and when the owner hires an incompitent owner he should have to pay the price.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Watching Healy, yet again on TSN, really aggrivated me. The stupid ass is trying to shoot down the NHL's proposal by saying "So what there is 50/50 revenue sharing at $115mill? The NHL hasnt made that much in years, and wont make that much in at least the next 4 years".

/stab Healy

SENSible1*

Scugs said:
Watching Healy, yet again on TSN, really aggrivated me. The stupid ass is trying to shoot down the NHL's proposal by saying "So what there is 50/50 revenue sharing at $115mill? The NHL hasnt made that much in years, and wont make that much in at least the next 4 years".

/stab Healy

What is truly laughable is that he can make that comment and in the next breath declare that it is impossible to define revenue.

Question for Glen--UMMM if you don't know how much revenue they took in, how can you possibly define how much profit they made in the past?????

Everyday this tool takes idiocy to new heights.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:
Numbers at training camp are far different then where they end up. A number of those teams hadn't signed their #1 picks as of yet.

Also teams have to leave a few million available to start the season. As players get injured and placed on IR, new players must be signed and fit under the cap. By seasons end, everyone is very very close to the cap number.

A couple points:
1. You're correct about first-round picks. However, no first-round pick is going to eat up $5 million in cap space his first season. Eli Manning's contract had a cap hit under that amount last year, and his was, I believe, the highest ever for a rookie.
2. Every team carries 53 players but only 45 dress for each game. That leaves a lot of wiggle room for injuries, so it's only in extreme cases that teams need to go sign players off the street to fill the lineup.

Mikko_Makela

Jan 20, 2005
MOEBEAGLE said:
Please state what medical school you have a degree from rhat allows you to state that the players are insane if they do not take that package of junk offered by the owners ? You are going to be fired or your job be sent overseas if you do not take a wage of someone in the 1940's. It is so easy for people to demand someone else take a pay cut but becomes a different story when it happens to you . Do your company a big favor and request that you make 1/2 half of your take home pay so that your company can show a bigger profit. Do for the love of your company and remember without them you are nothing . :banghead: :mad:

Are you kidding me??? A average salary in the range of 1.3-1.4 MILLION.....SURE...THAT IS EQUIVALENT TO A WAGE OF THE 1940'S!!

Where is it stated anywhere that they are asking players to cut their salaries in half?? Going from 1.8 to 1.3 MILLON is a 28% Pay Cut.

There are plenty of industries out there where employees have to take pay cuts if the overall business is operating at a loss. Look no further then the airline industry where companies such as US Air, United, & American has had employees take over 50% in pay cuts over the past 2 years.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
John Flyers Fan said:
Edmonton
Nedved
Markkanen

Calgary
Nilson
Simon
Nieminen

Nashville
Hnidy
Zholtok
Bombadier
Sullivan

Ottawa
De Vries
Bondra
Simpson

Vancouver
Sanderson
Bergevin
Rucinsky

Tampa
Sydor

Montreal
Kovalev

Gee, let's take a looky here... hmmm... well what do you know. Every single Canadian team ended up with a New York Ranger. Is there any possibility that Sather was dumping his team to get close to a cap he knew was coming? I wonder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad