Status
Not open for further replies.

WhalerBoy

Jul 22, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
dem said:
I dont like the fact that the nhl invited the nhlpa :shakehead

Yeah, is that true? I never believed that was the case.....I dont like that one bit either.

Here's a scenario, tell me if I'm WAY off.

One large faction of the PA has gone behind Goodenow and made a "deal" with the owners that many players back. The owners then have invited the PA to officially offer them this deal, and tell them that MANY of your players back this plan. Many, as in 400 or 500+

I know it sounds far fetched, but someone please give me a more realistic version of why the OWNERS invited the players. (or maybe the PA is lying to save face, and they invited themselves over?)

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Leafer4Life said:
What does that matter, as long as their meeting?!?!?!?

The PA is the one that needs to give in.
Everyone knows that the NHL isnt going to offer anything close to what the PA has offered previously.

An NHL proposal makes me think they'll offer something like 45.. and the PA will just reject.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
WhalerBoy said:
Yeah, is that true? I never believed that was the case.....I dont like that one bit either.

Thats what it says on nhlpa.com

Leafer4Life

Go Leafs Go!
Oct 4, 2002
Owen Sound,Ontario
www.facebook.com
dem said:
The PA is the one that needs to give in.
Everyone knows that the NHL isnt going to offer anything close to what the PA has offered previously.

An NHL proposal makes me think they'll offer something like 45.. and the PA will just reject.

I thought that it was the PA offering a proposal of 45......... :dunno:

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Leafer4Life said:
I thought that it was the PA offering a proposal of 45......... :dunno:

"Late Thursday night the NHL requested a meeting with NHLPA representatives in New York. Today the NHLPA accepted the invitation and a meeting has been scheduled for Saturday. "

Straight from the nhlpa site.

Makes it seem like the NHL are the ones with the offer.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Leafer4Life said:
Not really.........

well you can't get it to work period but it took me to their main page.

think of the TSN.ca glitch where you view a players profile but change the team name part of the URL (IE: Toronto is TOR) and it will show the player's profile with the new team Logo.

ChiHawks468

Jan 19, 2005
Aurora, IL
It could be a way for the NHLPA to be allowed to save some face since they said all along that it was up to the NHL to make the next move after the fax-a-thon.

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
dem said:
I dont like the fact that the nhl invited the nhlpa :shakehead

I wouldn't place too much emphasis on who invited who this time around.
This is probably one of those silly face saving things for the nhlpa, arrived at by the folks working in the background. Remember, Goodenow's last communication to the nhl was his letter in which he stated " you will be receiving nothing else from us". So, it's possible that the deal was that the nhl had to officially "make the next move".
Dumb things happen in these things.

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
ChiHawks468 said:
It could be a way for the NHLPA to be allowed to save some face since they said all along that it was up to the NHL to make the next move after the fax-a-thon.

lol...while I was typing - you were posting... :)

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Don't know if this new Hockey News article has been posted.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/en/headlines/detail.asp?id=27358&cat=954945254360

The NHL season is expected to be "un-canceled" Saturday in New York.

A player close to the talks who asked to remain anonymous told The Hockey News the two sides have agreed to a deal in principle that features a $45-million salary cap. Asked if there was any way a deal won't get done, the player said,
"not that I can see. I couldn't possibly imagine the idea that somebody is going to try to make a name for themselves in the last minute here."

Shadder

Jan 26, 2005
If the NHL invited the PA to a meeting how come every thing that I've read about this so far seems too indicate that it's the Players that are behind this. Sounds like the PA trying to spin this to make them look good as possible to me.

Not that I really care whostarted it as long as the end result is a deal. But it just does not sound right to me.

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
If there meeting tomorrow in New York, you have to believe certain parameters have been met, like a cap both parties can live with. Common sense tells you that none of the parties want to hold another press conference just to tell the fans they couldn't work out a deal...Or would they dare? :shakehead

NewBreed19

I can't wait to hear the hockey night in Canada theme song again; heck, I can't wait to hear the coyotes howl again!! :handclap:

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I don't recall who said it (Bill Watters, Kypreos?) but they claimed that someone from the PA contacted Bettman and said that the PA had an offer, Bettman invited them to "discuss" it. Not sure if thats correct or not but its how i interpreted it.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
In regards to the NHL inviting the NHLPA, consider what Bob McKenzie said:

There is a possibility that the deal may already be done insofar as there's not much point in getting back together again and having public negotiations on Saturday. I would have to think at this point, the NHLPA knows exactly what would work for the NHL and the NHL knows exactly what would work for the NHLPA.

Vanek2112

Feb 17, 2005
McDonald19 said:
Don't know if this new Hockey News article has been posted.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/en/headlines/detail.asp?id=27358&cat=954945254360

The NHL season is expected to be "un-canceled" Saturday in New York.

A player close to the talks who asked to remain anonymous told The Hockey News the two sides have agreed to a deal in principle that features a $45-million salary cap. Asked if there was any way a deal won't get done, the player said,
"not that I can see. I couldn't possibly imagine the idea that somebody is going to try to make a name for themselves in the last minute here."

I just saw this too and i really hope it is true! Tomorrow should be interesting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad