NHLPA and NHL to resuscitate negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPARTAKUS*

You know what guys, It would be the perfect time to try all sort of things to improve the game. What do you think?

mackdogs*

NHLcrazy said:
well it was just an idea, and it would be closer to 50 games anyway...relax bro
;)
It would be kinda like not keeping score in a game... the whole reason to play is to see who the winner is. 40 games is great but would the East and West champs somehow be declared the winners?

Something that just popped into my mind that could work is a tournament style playoffs. This way you could do maybe 30 games and have a round robin tourney with maybe a winners pool and a consolation pool. It would be closer to 3 weeks then the current playoff marathon. I like your idea of trying to get as many teams as you can playing as many games as they can.

Roots73

TMLTP- ITS IN THE GAME!
May 10, 2004
Why do I get the feeling that when this is all said and done, they're going to make a CBA "made for TV" movie??

LOCKOUT!!! What really happened...

NHLcrazy

Feb 28, 2002
Montreal
mackdogs said:
I like your idea of trying to get as many teams as you can playing as many games as they can.

Well at least someone sees the point.

Also what about a longer season and playoffs with only 4 teams of each conference?

ChiHawks468

Jan 19, 2005
Aurora, IL
mackdogs said:
Amen to that. I just have a feeling that if they do salvage this season the hockey we see may not be the greatest. Some players are locked into Europe permanently... it just won't be the NHL as I know it.

They will all be in the same boat though, so while it may not be the best hockey to start. it should be competitive. I think by the time the playoffs roll around, we will see the caliber of hockey we have come to know and love.

The most important thing is that the NHL does not stay off the radar completely this season, even if they came back for 05-06 the revenue stream would take more of a hit and if they lost season too, it would pretty much spell the end of the NHL.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
I dont know why but I trully believe that there will be a deal here

I think the Union is scared and doesnt want to see a 30 million dollar cap with linkage that they will shurly get in the summer.

Lets get ready

buckle your seatbelts

this should no doubt be a wild ride

:cheers: here is to hockey this year :cheers:

NewBreed19

I feels like the holiday season all over again; heres to a new CBA and heres to the coyotes to finally show the summer moves were no fluke . Oh! And heres to coach Wayne running the show as coach !! :yo:

gruntsplatter

Jan 22, 2003
Portland, OR
crionicmind.org
I miss hockey as much as anyone, or anyone who is a fan anyway, But this seems like a move that is going to make the league look even more mickey mouse than the lockout has. To officially cancel the season and then say "we changed our mind it's not canceled" just seems absurd. What kind of leadership is that?

I'm glad they are talking, and I would certainly watch the games, but this would seem more appropriate to me if they were looking to establish what the off season would be like and just be set to go great guns in the fall.

A 28 game season will produce a champion that will always have a significant footnote, and won't be taken seriously. To get back on the ice now seems patronizing almost. Yes this is usually the best time of the year to watch, but what kind of conditioning are we going to see, and how many injuries will take place because they are really going to want to put on a show and go for it.

The passionate fan in me wants it to happen, but logically at this point it doesn't make much sense. Get a deal so this thing doesn't drag on, establish guidelines for the draft and allow the teams to resolve contracts over the summer and start training camp on time. That seems to make the most sense from a legitamacy of the game stand point to me.

A Good Flying Bird*

nyrmessier011 said:
if you think the season is over, why are you on this site....go away

If that's what he thinks, that's what he thinks.
No reason why he shouldn't be welcome to post his opinion.

mackdogs*

nyrmessier011 said:
If you can't discuss things like an adult and have to revert to 'go away' maybe you shouldn't be on this site.

solventless710

Jan 5, 2005
nyrmessier011 said:

So now it's illegal for people to be on this site who simply believe the season is over?

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
Best of luck to both groups, I hope they keep their sanity tomorrow and work out a deal.

I believe.

Leafer4Life

Go Leafs Go!
Oct 4, 2002
Owen Sound,Ontario
www.facebook.com
Isles72 said:
good stuff , I just came online to see the good news .

I was watching global news (toronto)and they were doing a lil something to promote a psychic convention being held somewhere in TO . Some lady read the cards and said there will definatly be hockey in 05-06 and when asked , ''what about 04-05 '' she replied there will be some sort of a ''showcase''

tkae it for what its worth :joker:

Yeah, I saw that too, but I don't put much stock in it. The whole "showcase" thing makes no sense............ :joker:

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
This is how I think things are going to happen:

Tonight and tomorrow, negotiations will take place.

Sunday night: Deal is made. Joint press conference is called for monday.

Monday: Bob and Gary hold joint press conference announce deal in principle, uncancelling season, put on their "game on" hats.

Next week: Travel time for the players in Europe, FA signings

Monday, Feb. 28: Mini training camps start. Each team plays 1 exhibition game.

March 5: 28 game season starts.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
IcemanTBI said:
This is how I think things are going to happen:

Tonight and tomorrow, negotiations will take place.

Sunday night: Deal is made. Joint press conference is called for monday.

Monday: Bob and Gary hold joint press conference announce deal in principle, uncancelling season, put on their "game on" hats.

Next week: Travel time for the players in Europe, FA signings

Monday, Feb. 28: Mini training camps start. Each team plays 1 exhibition game.

March 5: 28 game season starts.

nhlpa's website says the meetings are tomorrow, i'm hoping this isn't posturing though because usually there'd be a calm before the storm

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
bcrt2000 said:
nhlpa's website says the meetings are tomorrow, i'm hoping this isn't posturing though because usually there'd be a calm before the storm

I had heard they were in NY tonite, and as such they would start tonite.

May be wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad