NHL18 Theory on changes in Potential

Greaves

Jul 27, 2005
Winnipeg, Manitoba
We have one thread for franchise mode and I fear that this will get buried in a million other posts. Anyway I think this information is useful to other gamers and maybe someone has something to add. However if the mods move it, so be it.

I’ve watched 3 “potential” changes in my second year in my Franchise.

McDavid was 96, grew to 97 and his potential changed from Medium Franchise to High Franchise.

Mantha was a Low Elite rated 81 overall when I traded for him off of Detroit. End of year two & just after the cup finals, I signed Mantha to a 6 year $6.05M per year deal. Upon agreeing to the deal, his potential grew from Low Elite to Medium Elite when his rating changed from 85 to 86.

William Karlsson was a High Top 9 forward when I traded for him and he was 80 or 81 overall. Half way through year 2 with me he hit 82 or 83 and his potential changed to High Top 6.

My theory is this: no player is truly confined to their potential, however they need to put up solid play to break out above. Maybe it’s hard but it’s possible.

86 is Medium Elite
97 is High Franchise
81-82 is High Top 6

Has anyone experienced this type of action?

boltsy

Jun 22, 2017
Didn't experience it in NHL so far, just because I was always used to playing season mode with the European leagues. This year I want to give Franchise Mode a try, and I'm curious about the potential system too.

In Fifa, there are always some 'easter egg' players with low potential who suddenly can grow way above the original potential. Was wondering if it works the same way in NHL too, for example like a potential top 9 player could transform in an elite or franchise guy over the years if he puts up strong performances.

Would make the game better in my opinion if it could work the same as fifa.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Don't think I've seen a single potential change for the better in NHL 18. About 9 seasons in Franchise mode.

I have seen about 2 or 3 players drop in potential; Jack Eichel went from Medium Elite to Top 6 Medium in year 3, after only playing like 35 games total in the first 2 seasons because of injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad