NHL17 - Disrespect to Las Vegas?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The relocation cities included in NHL17 were announced by EA Sports. Here's the tweet:

Do you notice anything?

Sure, the market sizes are a little off, we are a large market while similarly sized Kansas City is medium and larger Seattle is medium.

However, look at fan interest. There's one city with "casual" fans. Cincinnati is devoted? Houston is devoted, Kansas City is devoted. Portland is "hardcore?" Las Vegas is casual.

We far exceeded the season ticket drive expectations, we've got Top 10 US market TV ratings regularly, we have a higher percentage of fans that avidly follow hockey than every US market except Grand Rapids Michigan and Portland Maine. After all that, we've been deemed "casual?"

Am I the only one that this bothers?

Casual? Seriously?

Jun 6, 2016
It's just a video game made by a company who continously puts out **** products.

Just put out a 10 dollar roster update instead of charging 70 for a "new" game every year.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Oh. Never mind

The branch of EA Sports that makes NHL is in Vancouver and stuff like this is not uncommon. I would honestly be surprised if they put anything else there.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Here is what I will say:

EA sports has no idea what they are doing when it comes to a lot of things. When it comes to rating players and evaluating prospects it is quite embarrassing and I almost think they let their bias get a hold of them.

So ya, they probably did that on purpose because they have some QC/Canada or bust pride in their office which is stupid.

JA

Oh. Never mind

The branch of EA Sports that makes NHL is in Vancouver and stuff like this is not uncommon. I would honestly be surprised if they put anything else there.
The NHL series' development team consists of lazy, unimaginative, uninspired programmers, producers and directors who have no vision for the franchise's future. They continue to recycle the same game engine that was introduced in 2007 while former professional goaltender David Littman was the producer of the series. Sean Ramjagsingh took over as producer soon after its debut, and the series has remained stagnant for nearly a full decade.

They recycle features, do minimal research, rarely fact-check, and make excuses for broken mechanics in their game.

I don't think they mean any ill will towards Las Vegas; I just think they're incompetent and lazy.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The NHL series' development team consists of lazy, unimaginative, uninspired programmers, producers and directors who have no vision for the franchise's future. They continue to recycle the same game engine that was introduced in 2007 while former professional goaltender David Littman was the producer of the series. Sean Ramjagsingh took over as producer soon after its debut, and the series has remained stagnant for nearly a full decade.

They recycle features, do minimal research, rarely fact-check, and make excuses for broken mechanics in their game.

I don't think they mean any ill will towards Las Vegas; I just think they're incompetent and lazy.

No disagreements here. Though I do think they're misinformed about this city. That being said, most of hockey fandom seems to be as well.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I would've preferred an option to extend the league to 31 teams and just slot in a user created Las Vegas team. They clearly made it possible to add Las Vegas because they knew Las Vegas was coming, but they're not coming as a relocation team.

I mean the sole reason I'm getting NHL 17 after having paid for NHL 16...like 7 months ago is to be able to play as Las Vegas because NHL 16 of course had no create a team option.

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
Las Vegas has never had a pro sports team, the Southwest isn't a very hockey-rich area, and a lot of the people who live in LV are transplants. Not a recipe for the initial fanbase for the inaugural season to be diehards. With all due respect, I agree with EA.

Maybe in time you'll develop a strong hockey culture, like how basketball is extremely popular in Utah.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Las Vegas has never had a pro sports team, the Southwest isn't a very hockey-rich area, and a lot of the people who live in LV are transplants. Not a recipe for the initial fanbase for the inaugural season to be diehards. With all due respect, I agree with EA.

Maybe in time you'll develop a strong hockey culture, like how basketball is extremely popular in Utah.

I guess I get that, I've just been hearing that for almost two years, and even longer while telling people Vegas would be great for the NHL and getting laughed out of online discussions.

It's the same stuff that people used to support that we'd only get 4,000 season ticket deposits when that whole thing was announced. All I'm saying is that if you're going to judge based on opinion, at least use the facts that are available out there as well. Casual fans don't watch hockey at the rates Vegas fans do, casual fans don't get 14,000 people to put down hundreds of dollars for season tickets hoping we get a team.

I'm not saying we're Toronto or anything, but we're a damn sight better than casual.

Plus, I play GM mode all the time and I'm moving a team to Vegas and don't want to have to plan giveaways for every game to make it work.

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
If it had been the NBA instead of the NHL, I'd bet (no Vegas pun intended) they'd pull 14,000 deposits too. It's the largest city in America to have been blocked from having a pro sports franchise, and the community has been starving for a team. Now you've finally got one.

But I don't think it speaks to hockey specifically as much as it does the desire for *something*. Since the Arizona experiment is basically a failure, it's easy for people to look at Vegas and expect the same.

I think the LV franchise will be a success, and I think if the Raiders move to LV it'll be a success as well. Just, not instantly.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If it had been the NBA instead of the NHL, I'd bet (no Vegas pun intended) they'd pull 14,000 deposits too. It's the largest city in America to have been blocked from having a pro sports franchise, and the community has been starving for a team. Now you've finally got one.

But I don't think it speaks to hockey specifically as much as it does the desire for *something*. Since the Arizona experiment is basically a failure, it's easy for people to look at Vegas and expect the same.

I think the LV franchise will be a success, and I think if the Raiders move to LV it'll be a success as well. Just, not instantly.

Your first part isn't exactly helping what you're trying to say here. There really isn't any legitimate support for classifying them as casual when they're putting that much money down in the situation they did.

And pointing to Arizona was never a legitimate argument to make so excusing people for using silly and inaccurate arguments isn't right either. The Arizona experiment has absolutely nothing to do with Las Vegas and people need to stop perpetuating that myth.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
People need to stop putting Arizona/Phoenix/Glendale in the same sentence as Vegas altogether.

I'm okay with them doing it in five or ten years if we're putting up Arizona like attendance. Until then, I kind of just want to strangle them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad