NHL16 Team/Line Strategy Tips

GrnEggsNHam

Mar 10, 2015
NHL17 Team/Line Strategy Tips

I received a PM asking for strategy advice and after I typed it all out I thought it could help other people here too. I hope it does because I know how confusing this part of the game was for me when I first started.

Team/Line strategies are very important because they help you guide your AI teammate’s decisions. They are even more important while using the simulation engine because your strategies are influencing every decision made by your players in the game. These tips may help you out in HUT but this is written based on my BAGM experiences.

Team Strategies - I feel these are pretty straight forward and EA actually does a decent job in their descriptions. However nhlguides.net is a good reference if you want a little extra insight on these. First look over your starting roster and try and cater your strategies to your players’ strengths. Don't attempt to force strategies that worked for one lineup onto a different one. I start from scratch every season unless my lineup is exactly the same and the team completely dominated. It is very rare for both of those to occur and the more you do this the more you will learn and it will get much quicker and easier.

Let's look at the Trap/Forecheck setting as an example. If my lineup is full of great skaters with above average defensive abilities then I would set the slider to 4 or 5(this slider goes from 0-6 while most sliders are 0-10). Meaning my players would setup in the Forececk more often. As a tip I do not recommend maxing sliders one way or another. We want our strategies to be efficient in all situations and by maxing a slider your players will only make that choice and never consider the alternative(which is sometimes the proper play and their off/def awareness will determine if they made the correct decision). Don't take this example literally because there is a whole lot more to think about when building your strategies.

As a counter example let's say I do choose that strategy for my Trap/Forecheck setting. However I didn't take into account that my goalie will face more breakaways while using this strategy. Is my goalie elite enough to handle these situations or is his breakaway rating a mere 82(I consider an 85 rating average on most things for NHL'ers and 90+ to be elite)? I also didn't take my actual Forecheck into account as it will now be utilized more often. Perhaps my Forecheck is an extremely aggressive 2-3 setup, which will lead to even more breakaways. The point here is that there are several things to consider while developing your strategies. So don't feel bad if it takes you almost an entire season to get your strategies right. It happens and it's not an easy thing to do. I've been playing around with these for a long time and I consider myself very very good at it. There are seasons where it takes me to the Trade Deadline before I have things where I like them. I generally evaluate every 5-8 games for most things. The PP and the PK are the absolute hardest things to do and I'm not giving away my secrets for those :P.

Line Strategies

Offense:
Crash the Net - The key attributes I look at while considering this strategy are: strength, balance, and hand-eye. It's also a bonus if your skaters are big in stature. This strategy relies on goalie screens and deflections. Having offensive oriented defensemen with the appropriate strategies enhances this setup.

Overload - The key attributes I look at while considering this setup are: offensive awareness, passing, and puck control. I also look at the skating attributes because having 2 guys with 90+ acceleration and one guy with 82 acceleration isn't ideal for breakouts which are this strategies bread and butter. As such defensemen do not get in on the offense as much with this setup. The Carry strategy compliments this one.

Behind the Net - I like to use this setup for lines that are skilled but not quite skilled enough for Overload. This setup also goes well with a Dump style game if you have speedy skaters on the line. Aggressive and pinching defensemen also synergize well with this strategy.

Carry/Dump - Puck control is the most important attribute while considering a Carry strategy. However skating ability is also important because having 99 puck control is useless for breaking into the opposing zone if you have paltry 78/75 acceleration/speed ratings. Passing also comes into play but not as much as I would like. The AI tries to skate the puck through neutral most of the time while using Carry. A Dump strategy also plays well with speedy skaters and doesn't require puck control. I use a max or near max(9) Dump strategy a lot on my lower skill lines to minimize their turnovers, because they will face the opposing forecheck. The CPU AI adjusts their strategies during the simulation while you are stuck with what you decided on. So if you leave a glaring vulnerability somewhere the CPU will exploit it with the appropriate counter strategies.

Cycle/Shoot – Obviously the passing attribute is important for the Cycle but offensive awareness is even more important. It’s awesome to have the ability to make a highlight reel pass however you also have to know when to make that pass. Cycle synergizes well with Overload and Behind the Net. Shooting on the other hand synergizes well with Crash the Net.

Efficiency/Energy – This setting depends entirely on your 4 lines. Is your top line star studded while your other 3 lines are lackluster? If so then I would suggest they play more efficiently and thus will receive more ice time throughout the game. My goal however is to always roll all 4 lines with max Energy. Sometimes the roster just doesn’t allow for that. So this one is ok to max out although I have never done max Efficiency before.

Don't Block/Block – This is the only strategy you should max out all the time and it should always be max Block. Any shot your players block is a shot your goalie doesn’t have to. This is also great for player development because it makes them always attempt to block shots. They will end up blocking some even if they suck at it and their shot blocking and defensive awareness will improve.

Defense:
Hold Line/Pinch – Ok this one is pretty interesting and there are basically only 2 settings you want to use. Set the slider on 2(Hold Line) and your defensemen will play just inside the blue line in the offensive zone. Set the slider to 8(Pinch) and your defenders will setup at the point and be in optimal offensive position. Puck control and offensive awareness are important when choosing Pinch. I use Hold Line for defensive pairings that lack offensive skill. You can play around with it but I try and make my defensive partners pretty even when it comes to offensive attributes.

Cycle/Shoot – The key attributes for determining what to choose here are: passing, puck control, offensive awareness, and slap shot accuracy/power. Once again the defensive pairings are important to me while deciding on this one. Puck control is probably the biggest factor for me here because if they are lacking there I will almost always choose to move the slider towards Shoot. Having your defensemen fumble a point pass usually results in a breakaway so this setting and the Hold Line/Pinch strategy need to synergize. Sometimes its best just to have them get rid of it and a shot is the easiest and most productive way. I do occasionally play max Shoot on very unskilled defensive pairings. I also will favor Shoot when I have 2 players with great shots on the same pairing, ignoring their puck control and passing attributes.

Now it's up to you to apply these tips and continue to learn their proper applications through experience(trial and error).

Last edited:

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Do these actually have any effect for BeAGM simulations?

I haven't seen any super noticeable difference in mine. Still have a line of 3 88 overall players not putting up points.

GrnEggsNHam

Mar 10, 2015
Do these actually have any effect for BeAGM simulations?

I haven't seen any super noticeable difference in mine. Still have a line of 3 88 overall players not putting up points.

EA would probably have to answer that for you. The information I provided is all based on my own anecdotal evidence and experiences. So I do believe the strategies are used during the simulation. But I cannot confirm nor deny that.

Muhjumies

May 7, 2016
Let's look at the Trap/Forecheck setting as an example. If my lineup is full of great skaters with above average defensive abilities then I would set the slider to 4 or 5(this slider goes from 0-6 while most sliders are 0-10). Meaning my players would setup in the Forececk more often. As a tip I do not recommend maxing sliders one way or another. We want our strategies to be efficient in all situations and by maxing a slider your players will only make that choice and never consider the alternative(which is sometimes the proper play and their off/def awareness will determine if they made the correct decision). Don't take this example literally because there is a whole lot more to think about when building your strategies.
When score is even I use 3

As a counter example let's say I do choose that strategy for my Trap/Forecheck setting. However I didn't take into account that my goalie will face more breakaways while using this strategy. Is my goalie elite enough to handle these situations or is his breakaway rating a mere 82(I consider an 85 rating average on most things for NHL'ers and 90+ to be elite)? I also didn't take my actual Forecheck into account as it will now be utilized more often. Perhaps my Forecheck is an extremely aggressive 2-3 setup, which will lead to even more breakaways. The point here is that there are several things to consider while developing your strategies. So don't feel bad if it takes you almost an entire season to get your strategies right. It happens and it's not an easy thing to do. I've been playing around with these for a long time and I consider myself very very good at it. There are seasons where it takes me to the Trade Deadline before I have things where I like them. I generally evaluate every 5-8 games for most things. The PP and the PK are the absolute hardest things to do and I'm not giving away my secrets for those :P.

Line Strategies

Offense:
Crash the Net - The key attributes I look at while considering this strategy are: strength, balance, and hand-eye. It's also a bonus if your skaters are big in stature. This strategy relies on goalie screens and deflections. Having offensive oriented defensemen with the appropriate strategies enhances this setup.

Overload - The key attributes I look at while considering this setup are: offensive awareness, passing, and puck control. I also look at the skating attributes because having 2 guys with 90+ acceleration and one guy with 82 acceleration isn't ideal for breakouts which are this strategies bread and butter. As such defensemen do not get in on the offense as much with this setup. The Carry strategy compliments this one.

Behind the Net - I like to use this setup for lines that are skilled but not quite skilled enough for Overload. This setup also goes well with a Dump style game if you have speedy skaters on the line. Aggressive and pinching defensemen also synergize well with this strategy.

Carry/Dump - Puck control is the most important attribute while considering a Carry strategy. However skating ability is also important because having 99 puck control is useless for breaking into the opposing zone if you have paltry 78/75 acceleration/speed ratings. Passing also comes into play but not as much as I would like. The AI tries to skate the puck through neutral most of the time while using Carry. A Dump strategy also plays well with speedy skaters and doesn't require puck control. I use a max or near max(9) Dump strategy a lot on my lower skill lines to minimize their turnovers, because they will face the opposing forecheck. The CPU AI adjusts their strategies during the simulation while you are stuck with what you decided on. So if you leave a glaring vulnerability somewhere the CPU will exploit it with the appropriate counter strategies.

Cycle/Shoot – Obviously the passing attribute is important for the Cycle but offensive awareness is even more important. It’s awesome to have the ability to make a highlight reel pass however you also have to know when to make that pass. Cycle synergizes well with Overload and Behind the Net. Shooting on the other hand synergizes well with Crash the Net.

Efficiency/Energy – This setting depends entirely on your 4 lines. Is your top line star studded while your other 3 lines are lackluster? If so then I would suggest they play more efficiently and thus will receive more ice time throughout the game. My goal however is to always roll all 4 lines with max Energy. Sometimes the roster just doesn’t allow for that. So this one is ok to max out although I have never done max Efficiency before.

Don't Block/Block – This is the only strategy you should max out all the time and it should always be max Block. Any shot your players block is a shot your goalie doesn’t have to. This is also great for player development because it makes them always attempt to block shots. They will end up blocking some even if they suck at it and their shot blocking and defensive awareness will improve.

Defense:
Hold Line/Pinch – Ok this one is pretty interesting and there are basically only 2 settings you want to use. Set the slider on 2(Hold Line) and your defensemen will play just inside the blue line in the offensive zone. Set the slider to 8(Pinch) and your defenders will setup at the point and be in optimal offensive position. Puck control and offensive awareness are important when choosing Pinch. I use Hold Line for defensive pairings that lack offensive skill. You can play around with it but I try and make my defensive partners pretty even when it comes to those 2 offensive attributes.

Cycle/Shoot – The key attributes for determining what to choose here are: passing, puck control, offensive awareness, and slap shot accuracy/power. Once again the defensive pairings are important to me while deciding on this one. Puck control is probably the biggest factor for me here because if they are lacking there I will almost always choose to move the slider towards Shoot. Having your defensemen fumble a point pass usually results in a breakaway so this setting and the Hold Line/Pinch strategy need to synergize. Sometimes its best just to have them get rid of it and a shot is the easiest and most productive way. I do occasionally play max Shoot on very unskilled defensive pairings. I also will favor Shoot when I have 2 players with great shots on the same pairing, ignoring their puck control and passing attributes.

Now it's up to you to apply these tips and continue to learn their proper applications through experience(trial and error).[/QUOTE]

Man... You really changed my Be a GM Coach Mode around!
:yo::handclap:I *ucking love you:handclap::yo:

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
Awesome information! Thank you for posting.

One issue I've had with my simulations is that my team will slump for a month or two throughout the middle of the season e.g. I had a forward score 20 goals by Dec 3, team only lost two games. that forward then scored 10 goals over the next three months and the team went about .500 over that time.

Anybody else have similar results when simulating? Does the AI adapt to your strategies throughout the year if they remain unchanged?

Muhjumies

May 7, 2016
Do you have any tips for defense strategies? I mean collapsing/staggered/tight point and the defensive pressure slider (0-5). Also i would like to hear your thoughts about offensive pressure slider (0-5)?

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
I do the best with the following.

Forcheck: Press
Offensive Pressure: Aggresive
Offense strategy: Crash the net all four lines.
Defense Pressure: Normal
Defense Strategy: Collapse

When I get a healthy lead I pull offensive pressure down to conservative
and for check to sit-back.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
I received a PM asking for strategy advice and after I typed it all out I thought it could help other people here too. I hope it does because I know how confusing this part of the game was for me when I first started.

Team/Line strategies are very important because they help you guide your AI teammate’s decisions. They are even more important while using the simulation engine because your strategies are influencing every decision made by your players in the game. These tips may help you out in HUT but this is written based on my BAGM experiences.

Team Strategies - I feel these are pretty straight forward and EA actually does a decent job in their descriptions. However nhlguides.net is a good reference if you want a little extra insight on these. First look over your starting roster and try and cater your strategies to your players’ strengths. Don't attempt to force strategies that worked for one lineup onto a different one. I start from scratch every season unless my lineup is exactly the same and the team completely dominated. It is very rare for both of those to occur and the more you do this the more you will learn and it will get much quicker and easier.

Line Strategies

Unfortunately, the NHL series seems to be more about holding down the puck control & ragging the puck than it is about implementing real life strat
Offense:

Defense:
Hold Line/Pinch – Ok this one is pretty interesting and there are basically only 2 settings you want to use. Set the slider on 2(Hold Line) and your defensemen will play just inside the blue line in the offensive zone. Set the slider to 8(Pinch) and your defenders will setup at the point and be in optimal offensive position. Puck control and offensive awareness are important when choosing Pinch. I use Hold Line for defensive pairings that lack offensive skill. You can play around with it but I try and make my defensive partners pretty even when it comes to those 2 offensive attributes.

Now it's up to you to apply these tips and continue to learn their proper applications through experience(trial and error).

Very good write up :handclap:

Seems that the only strategy I see being applied online is to hold the puck control button & skate in circles. I know it's not unstoppable, but it shouldn't be as effective as it is. Glad you don't see the game that way, gives me hope that there are actually some hockey fans that play this game.

GrnEggsNHam

Mar 10, 2015
Awesome information! Thank you for posting.

One issue I've had with my simulations is that my team will slump for a month or two throughout the middle of the season e.g. I had a forward score 20 goals by Dec 3, team only lost two games. that forward then scored 10 goals over the next three months and the team went about .500 over that time.

Anybody else have similar results when simulating? Does the AI adapt to your strategies throughout the year if they remain unchanged?

Sorry to answer like a year later!? LOL, anyways I feel this thread is still valid after playing NHL 17 BAGM for 15+ seasons. Enough sidenotes, this slump is due to the AI adjusting just as you surmised :yo:. I've witnessed it numerous times because I set mine to 6/6 :naughty:. The setting is under Gameplay Sliders->AI->AI Learning. Don't be discourage though, if you have the optimal line strategies in place your team will overcome the slump quickly. If you don't, well this is the games way of telling you that you need to fix something. Remember this is still a program made by humans. It's not organic or capable of self interpretation :amazed:. Sometimes it does seem that way :nod:.

GrnEggsNHam

Mar 10, 2015
Do you have any tips for defense strategies? I mean collapsing/staggered/tight point and the defensive pressure slider (0-5). Also i would like to hear your thoughts about offensive pressure slider (0-5)?

:D I'm honored and thank you for asking :m-dance:. I must apologize for my neglect of this thread. I've had 2 children since I wrote the OP and I've been busy to say the least :popcorn:.

I'm sorry to say I don't have much experience with the defensive schemes because I only like 1 of them :amazed:. I believe that Staggered is the best and only good defensive scheme available for the A.I. I will sometimes resort to the Collapsing strategy if my goalie sucks, but I avoid that at all costs. As for the Tight-Point strategy, well it's a stupid one because how many teams have killer offensive defensemen? Seriously like a Brent Burns type, it's only a handful(4-5) at most.

Offensive Pressure:
I basically only use 2 of these: Aggressive(5/6)and Conservative(2/6).
I prefer to use Aggressive with mostly Behind the Net and Overload forward lines. I sometimes use it when I have a majority of offensive talent in the lineup regardless of individual strategies. The Conservative strategy is mainly used during the playoffs when teams are scoring more than 2 goals on me.

Defensive Pressure:
Once again I normally use 2 of these settings: Contain Puck(2/6) and Puck Side Attack(5/6)
I prefer to use Contain Puck because it forces players to utilize their defensive awareness and I value that attribute while drafting. The Puck Side Attack option is particularly useful for players with high poke check and skating.

Once again I appreciate your thoughtful request and I'm sorry for being so blatantly late in responding to it. I was overwhelmed at the time and spent my spare time playing NHL 17 BAGM :).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->