NHL Willing to Negotiate with NO Linkage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munchausen

Digger12 said:
Waitaminute...why is there even a shred of optimism around here, I thought that was only prevalent on mondays?

Did I miss a memo or something?

Yes you did. It was agreed for practical reasons that formerly scheduled Delusion Day (Monday) would be swapped with Suicide Day (Friday). It was more convenient for everybody.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Munchausen said:
Yes you did. It was agreed for practical reasons that prior scheduled Delusion Day (Monday) would be swapped with Suicide Day (Friday). It was more convenient for everybody.

:lol

Damn...I've got to start loosening up that junk filter on Outlook. No wonder I've been getting quizzical stares all day. Must've been the black armband and hair shirt.

davidwii

Jan 20, 2005
417 TO MTL said:
I thought about the same thing, maybe the deal is the first portion of whatever deal is reached has no linkage, and then when profits are healthier, linkage is established at whatever %, that's partnership, and fair both ways

Absolutely....I agree.

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
bleedgreen said:
i thought the whole time this would come down to a cap minus linkage. revenues are too unpredictable to base contracts on. how do you set up the league on numbers you dont know are going to happen? then take back money from the players when they dont? just doesnt hold up, imo. either a cap with no linkage, or a strict luxury tax.

The NFL does why not the NHL??

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
ladybugblue said:
The NFL does why not the NHL??

The PA - if they're not using the whole linkage issue as a smokescreen - is likely concerned that revenue increases in the NHL aren't the sure thing they are in the NFL.
Over the long term, I'd venture to say they're wrong, but if they're not willing to ake the risk, they won't get any reward either.

CarlRacki said:
The PA - if they're not using the whole linkage issue as a smokescreen - is likely concerned that revenue increases in the NHL aren't the sure thing they are in the NFL.
Over the long term, I'd venture to say they're wrong, but if they're not willing to ake the risk, they won't get any reward either.

Hardly. 10 years from now, IF there is a hockey resurgence and owners are making money hand over fist, the players will whine and complain and strike, possibly costing the better part of ANOTHER season so they can get linkage.

You know 100 years from now, if hockey still exists as a pro sport, what will people think when they look back on the record books and see 75 years of stable season, after stable season and then come upon 1994 and 2005? 48 game season? 28 game season? Strike after strike... bleh.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
DR said:
From my perspective, the linkage wasn’t even the worst part of the NHL's offer.

- the NHL's ability to eliminate arbitration

- the 24% rollback

- the signing deadline

- arbitration deferal

- elimination of group 5 and 6 free agency

Just to name 5.

DR

Elimination of arbitration is the league telling the players we don't like arbitration, and will be negotiated out. I also believe it was used to tip the players as to what age the league would go on the UFA age.

The league is NOT going to negotiate away what the players gave it, that is the players job. The league put it back to the original offer from the players, and are probably willing to reduce that amount. But the players are driving the rollback bus, not the owners.

Signing deadline should be replaced with forced arbitration at the start of training camp. The player would have walkaway rights to go play in Europe, the team to make the player a UFA. But the idea behind it is sound, as holdouts are CLEARLY detrimental to the team, the player, and the league. Eliminating them would make for a healthier league. I think the owners put that in to tell the PA we want to deal with RFA holdouts in the CBA, as the current system for that didn't work for anyone.

Arbitration Deferal is IMHO a neutral thing. The owners specific implemetation was slanted to them, but the idea of it is sound, and could EASILY be tweaked to a neutral device. The ability to defer arbtration off a BAD season is just as powerful to a player as it is to an owner that has a player who has had 1 really good year.

Group V free agency had about 2 players a year, as it requires 10 years of service before the player would normally become a UFA, WHILE being paid less than the league average. If the UFA age became 28 for example, it would be impossible to become a group V free agent. Even at 29 it would be difficult, as very few players enter the league at 18 and are paid less than the league average 10 years later. Eliminating this is irrelevent to the PA.

Group VI free agency applies to fringe NHLers over the age of 25. Waiver rules normally allow these players to move to a different team if their current club is. Not a big deal, and certainly not a concern for MOST of the NHLPA membership.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
$47M cap. That's what I think. I would be happy with that.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
As far as the NHLPA "not going to pick up the phone", I think that is utter ********.

We've said and known all along that Bob was a deadline hunter. Here is his deadline. He has just over 48 hours, if not less.

Brent Burns Beard