[NHL vs NBA] Which trio of players were better at their respective sport?

what do you think?

• Total voters

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Without factoring in the greater difference a single player can make in basketball compared to hockey and just focusing on how good they were at their sports, I'd have to say the hockey trio. Gretzky simply had the most dominant career. Gretzky/Lemieux and Jordan/Lebron are the top 2 in their sports.

While most think Sid ahead of Kobe, I have them pretty close. Both sneak into my top 10 but are closer to 10 than 5. Kobe at his very best was better (in large part due to Sid's injuries from 2011-2013), but I do think Crosby had a longer run as the best player at their sport.

For Sid, in addition to the big 4, players I'd rank Beliveau, Hull, Bourque and Jagr (not specifically in that order) ahead of him for sure, meaning #9 is the highest he could be on my list. I also think Esposito, Hasek, and Ovechkin have a case for the #9 spot. Also, my list is starts in the O6 era (1942-present).

For the NBA, players I consider the big 4 are Jordan, Lebron, Wilt and Kareem, mainly because I think they are the 4 players with a GOAT case. Other players I'd rank ahead of Kobe are Magic, Bird, Shaq, meaning #8 is the highest he could be on my list, and he's neck and neck with Hakeem there for me. I think Steph eventually passes him too, and possibly Durant. All in all a borderline top 10 player who for now barely sneaks in.

Last edited:

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
If we’re being honest, it’s the NBA trio. Significantly larger talent pool

But, Gretzky>MJ/LeBron

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Without factoring in the greater difference a single player can make in basketball compared to hockey and just focusing on how good they were at their sports, I'd have to say the hockey trio. Gretzky simply had the most dominant career. Gretzky/Lemieux and Jordan/Lebron are the top 2 in their sports.

While most think Sid ahead of Kobe, I have them pretty close. Both sneak into my top 10 but are closer to 10 than 5. Kobe at his very best was better (in large part due to Sid's injuries from 2011-2013), but I do think Crosby had a longer run as the best player at their sport.

For Sid, in addition to the big 4, players I'd rank Beliveau, Hull, Bourque and Jagr (not specifically in that order) ahead of him for sure, meaning #9 is the highest he could be on my list. I also think Esposito and Hasek have a case for the #9 spot. Also, my list is starts in the O6 era (1942-present).

For the NBA, players I consider the big 4 are Jordan, Lebron, Wilt and Kareem, mainly because I think they are the 4 players with a GOAT case. Other players I'd rank ahead of Kobe are Magic, Bird, Shaq, meaning #8 is the highest he could be on my list, and he's neck and neck with Hakeem there for me. I think Steph eventually passes him too, and possibly Durant. All in all a borderline top 10 player who for now barely sneaks in.
Kobe at his best never even shot 47% from the field, and wasn't a great playoff performer. A very talented, but massively overrated player.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
In my books, pretty close. I have Lebron at #1 which matches Gretz at #1. I have Jordan at #3 which matches my Mario rank at #3. Kobe is my #8 and Crosby is my #6. BTW, I've got Kareem #2 all-time. Lebron has passed him in the last 2-3 seasons. I could be persuaded to move Kobe up.

My Best-Carey

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Kobe at his best never even shot 47% from the field, and wasn't a great playoff performer. A very talented, but massively overrated player.
Putting him with MJ and Lebron is definitely overrating him. These days I think he is properly rated though, as the general consensus is he's borderline top 10, whether or not people ultimately think he makes it there.

I think a lot of the overrating that use to occur when compared with Lebron was a product of his career starting 6 seasons earlier, meaning he had more accomplishments since he'd played longer. But about a decade into Lebron's career people started recognizing he was clearly ahead of Kobe.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Putting him with MJ and Lebron is definitely overrating him. These days I think he is properly rated though, as the general consensus is he's borderline top 10, whether or not people ultimately think he makes it there.

I think a lot of the overrating that use to occur when compared with Lebron was a product of his career starting 6 seasons earlier, meaning he had more accomplishments since he'd played longer. But about a decade into Lebron's career people started recognizing he was clearly ahead of Kobe.
I agree that's part of the reason, but there are a lot of Lakers fans that attribute all their success to Kobe.

LeBron in his second season was already a better player than any version of Kobe though.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
I agree that's part of the reason, but there are a lot of Lakers fans that attribute all their success to Kobe.

LeBron in his second season was already a better player than any version of Kobe though.
This reminds me of how people called Staples Center the House that Kobe built when he wasn't even a superstar until their 2nd season playing there.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
How do people even have time to follow more than 1 sport? I never understood. And I'm not even someone who works that much

I was born in Europe with a soccer ball in my feet, started playing at 3 years old. Came over to NA as a teenager but now I don't even follow soccer anymore, only world cup and Euro
I think your surroundings have a lot to do with it. The US has more of a sport based culture than Canada. 50,000 seat high school football stadiums, home coming etc. In some places its just a lifestyle to go to everything to support your local team which can easily breed broader interest. I think you can be a deep fan on one sport and have a life. you can be a casual fan of many sports just watching the highlights at night and have a life. You cannot be a fanatic of multiple sport teams and not have a life that revolves around sports imo. I'm not positive but I think it's a law in Texas you have to know the rules to football :P

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad