NHL TV Ratings and Revenue

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
GHOSTofMAROONS said:
Here's one for the archive. If you come across any news reports on playoff ratings post them with a link. Thanks,

GHOST

"Ratings slide: Approximately 13,217 homes in the Nashville television market tuned in to watch Game 1, according to WTVF-5 Program Director Mark Binda.

The 1.4 rating was lower than last season's Game 1 rating between the two teams, which hit 2.4 (approximately 22,000 homes)."

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070413/SPORTS/704130376/1006
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=370009
And for those people who are too lazy (or whose agenda won't allow them) to lookup that thread:

Cable ratings: Game 1 got a 3.1 rating in households with cable television, according to the Nielsen Media Research. The game aired Wednesday from 7-10:15 p.m. on Fox Sports Net.

The cable rating for last year's playoff opener for the Predators was 2.3.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
The Penguins continue to be a ratings smash on FSN Pittsburgh and have viewership that is among the best in the country for NHL and NBA games.

FSN affiliates carry 20 of the NHL franchises and the Penguins have the best ratings of any of those teams, which includes Detroit, a city often known as Hockeytown.

What's more, the Penguins ratings are higher than any of the 24 NBA teams FSN carries, as well as those of the New York Knicks and New Jersey Nets.

The only NHL franchise that might have higher ratings than the Penguins is Buffalo, which is not in the FSN family.

The Penguins ratings numbers are the highest since the 1997-98 season.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07103/777738-194.stm

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
The Penguins continue to be a ratings smash on FSN Pittsburgh and have viewership that is among the best in the country for NHL and NBA games.

FSN affiliates carry 20 of the NHL franchises and the Penguins have the best ratings of any of those teams, which includes Detroit, a city often known as Hockeytown.

What's more, the Penguins ratings are higher than any of the 24 NBA teams FSN carries, as well as those of the New York Knicks and New Jersey Nets.

The only NHL franchise that might have higher ratings than the Penguins is Buffalo, which is not in the FSN family.

The Penguins ratings numbers are the highest since the 1997-98 season.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07103/777738-194.stm

If the Sabres ratings are higher, that means that the 2 highest rated NHL teams get better ratings than the best NBA team

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
If the Sabres ratings are higher, that means that the 2 highest rated NHL teams get better ratings than the best NBA team

The Sabres are higher. There are 8 teams that get better local ratings than the best NBA team (Toronto, Montreal, Buffalo, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa, and Pittsburgh).

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
The Sabres are higher. There are 8 teams that get better local ratings than the best NBA team (Toronto, Montreal, Buffalo, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa, and Pittsburgh).

It would be nice if they actually told us what the ratings were this year.

As for Detroit. Do you want to know when the Pistons passed the Wings? The lockout year. It was the perfect storm, a team coming off an NBA championship without ANY hockey in Detroit for an entire season.

jsginsocal

Feb 1, 2007
Orange County, CA
First weekend Playoff Ratings

NBC earned a 1.4/3 overnight Nielsen rating for its national coverage of Flames-Red Wings Game Two yesterday, down 6.7% from a 1.5/4 for regional coverage during the opening Sunday of last year’s Stanley Cup Playoffs. The net’s regional coverage Saturday, which featured Penguins-Senators in the majority of the country, earned a 1.2/3 overnight, down 7.7% from a 1.3/3 last year (THE DAILY).

Source: www.sportsbusinessdaily.com

A little dissapointing. I thought for sure ratings would pick up with Crosby and Co...

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
How much of Versus' low playoff ratings can we blame on people who unplug their television and disconnect power to their house so that they don't accidentally see that Enterprise Rent-a-Car commercial yet again?

"Let's go, girls!" :shakehead

Oshie10

Apr 8, 2007
How much of Versus' low playoff ratings can we blame on people who unplug their television and disconnect power to their house so that they don't accidentally see that Enterprise Rent-a-Car commercial yet again?

I hear you Doctor No ;)

Versus needs a few more sponsors

mucker*

NHL Ratings

Any data on the ratings for Ranger games in New York during the playoffs, thanks.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
"The league would be ecstatic if its TV audience grew from the regular season to the playoffs as it has with the New York area’s three teams. The number of households watching Devils games on FSNY has soared from an average of only 17,000 in the regular season to 58,000; Islanders games on FSNY have been witnessed in the playoffs by an average of 51,000 homes, up from 10,000; and the one Ranger game on MSG was seen in 103,000 homes, up from a regular-season average of 48,000."

Link

That's well below a 2.0 rating for the Rangers. The Saturday Ranger/Thrasher game drew a 1.9 in Atlanta.

There's a thread dedicated to this.

mucker*

Wrong on both accounts...

1) Pittsburgh supported their Pens without a "phenom"... unless you consider Kehoe a "phenom"...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SD1Jw-VbTPY

2) Pittsburgh has had good TV ratings as long as I can remember, back to the 80's, Sid & Kids not the issue.

- Islanders average 7,336 viewers a game
- Devils average 13,206 viewers a game (based on a .18 rating)
- Rangers average 36,834 viewers a game
- #2 in U.S. = Pittsburgh average viewer rating is around a 5.0
- #1 in U.S. = Buffalo average viewer rating is around a 7.0

* These are local ratings, how many people watch their own team, verifiable through the archives and their links.

Rangers have Jagr and an enormous population, what is their excuse for poor ratings?

There are plenty of "stars" and "good teams" in U.S. cities that have poor TV ratings and poor attendance. The fact is, Pittsburgh is the oldest hockey market in the U.S. and the least of the NHL's problems when it comes to viewers.
Right, Pittsburgh is like this with all their teams.
If the Steelers stank you'd see no shows, sold but nonetheless, lots of empty seats.

That's how Pittsburgh fans are, they care and they watch, but if you don't win, not much will come in town, considering it's size.
They are NOT the Isles.

jsginsocal

Feb 1, 2007
Orange County, CA

I almost took a hockey stick to my tv and my poor little dog because of that damn commercial. "lets go girls" AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :help:

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca

God that commercial kills me... I keep trying to hit "last channel" but she still gets "Let's" out before I can hit the button. Maybe I'll have it down by finals time.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
Right, Pittsburgh is like this with all their teams.
If the Steelers stank you'd see no shows, sold but nonetheless, lots of empty seats.

That's how Pittsburgh fans are, they care and they watch, but if you don't win, not much will come in town, considering it's size.
They are NOT the Isles.

***???? This is complete BS. Of course it helps to have won the most games over the past 15 years, but there are a few 6-10, 7-9 seasons in there. I've watched probably 80% of Pitts games in my 34 years, and I've never seen a 90% capacity crowd.

Steeler Nation is a lot bigger than Pittsburgh and you'd find many fans willing to drive 4-5 hrs or fly across country to get the chance to watch a 3-8 Steeler team. Feel free to bash Pittsburgh, but you need to leave the Steelers out of it! ;)

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
NY Teams Ratings

Baseball sticks it to hockey ratings from the NY Daily News:

Baseball held a good portion of its audience. Mets-Marlins did a 2.1 rating and Indians-Yankees a 4.1. Thrashers-Rangers did a 1.7. Few curiosity-seekers bailed out of baseball blowouts, or other entertainment programming, to sample playoff hockey. At least the Rangers did better than Sabres-Islanders (FSNY, 0.8) and Devils-Lightning (FSNY2, 0.4).

Basketball? Bulls-Nets had a split audience. On Ch.9, the game did a 1.0. The New York rating for ESPN's Bulls-Nets telecast did a 1.1. Combine those numbers, and this final game of the NBA regular season, albeit a significant one, beat a hockey playoff broadcast. At least MSG's Rangers telecast was able to best MSG2's Knicks-Bobcats production, which recorded a rancid 0.2 rating.

Tracking the ratings from the beginning of Thrashers-Rangers illustrates just how little a TV audience playoff hockey has. Game 1, on April 12, did a 1.4 rating on MSG. The Yankees did not play that evening. Mets-Phillies registered a 3.0, which topped the combined ratings of Rangers-Thrashers (MSG, 1.4), Lightning-Devils (FSNY, 0.8) and Isles-Sabres (FSNY2, 0.4).

Even when Rangers-Thrashers had a bigger universe of viewers to draw from (on NBC, Saturday, Game 2), the game still pulled an anemic 1.6 rating in the New York market. On SNY the same day, Nationals-Mets did a 3.2, which was bigger than the combined rating of Rangers Game 2, Lightning-Devils (FSNY, 0.7) and Isles-Sabres (MSG, 0.7).

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
I don't understand the point in these threads. It's always the same thing. It's NY, it's the states, why do these statistics even need to be discussed?

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I don't understand the point in these threads. It's always the same thing. It's NY, it's the states, why do these statistics even need to be discussed?

For what it's worth, you're permitted to skip threads which don't interest you. You're not required to ready each and every one.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Americans like baseball more than hockey, nothing newsworthy here. Those numbers don't look that bad for hockey. Why do we beat ourselves up over these things?

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Maybe I'm not understanding the numbers. Doesn't a 1.7 for the Rangers mean that 1.7 million households tuned in?

No, it means 1.7% of household tuned into the game. I assume the article is referring to the local NYC market which is the number one TV market in the USA (see a previous post in this thread for rankings and size of USA TV markets).

RANK Designated Market Area (DMA) TV Homes % of US
1 New York 7,366,950

1.7% would mean an audience of 125,238. Not bad in comparison to some markets in absolute terms, but pretty small considering the size of the market.

By way of comparison, the Edmonton Oilers averaged 157,000 viewers for their regular season broadcasts this year and Edmonton's metro population is just over 1 million (although the size of their TV market is larger than that as Sportsnet broadcasts Oiler and Flames games in all of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba).

GHOST

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->