NHL TV Ratings and Revenue

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Canadian city DMA figures

I finally found some hard data on the local Canadian numbers. These are from the Bureau of Broadcast Measurement, or BBM. BBM is an audience measurement organization for Canadian television. They recently formed a joint-venture with Neilson Media Research, BBM Nielsen Media Research Inc.

There is a lot of data at their site on weekly rankings and numbers. I haven't had a chance to look through it all to come up with average figures or to review the methodology and how it compares to the Nielsen rating figures used in the USA. However, I will post the numbers for the most recent weekly data available, February 26 - March 4, 2007.

Toronto DMA
Sportsnet Ontario -- Leafs: 340,000
CBC HNIC, Game 1: 316,000 (Leafs vs. Sabres)

Calgary DMA
CBC HNIC, Game 2: 135,000 (Flames vs. Oilers)
Sportsnet West -- Flames: 96,000

Vancouver DMA
Sportsnet Pacific -- Canucks: 249,000
CBC HNIC, Game 2: 166,000 (Flames vs. Oilers)
CBC HNIC, Game 1: 156,000 (Leafs vs. Sabres)

As Vancouver did not play on HNIC for the above-reported week, I looked up the data for the most recent weeks available where the Canucks did play. Here's are the numbers:

CBC HNIC Game 2: 297,000 (Thrashers @ Canucks, Feb. 10)
CBC HNIC Game 2: 322,000 (Canucks @ Flames, Feb. 3)

More data here:

http://www.bbm.ca/en/top_programs.html

What I find most interesting about this data, is the relatively poor numbers for the Leafs given their huge market size.

Again, I just found this site and will post more later once examining the methodology, etc.

GHOST

Last edited:

GSC2k2*

What I find most interesting about this data, is the relatively poor numbers for the Leafs given their huge market size.

Good finds, GHOST.

However, how exactly can you say that the Leafs numbers are "poor"? They are a top twenty program. That is exceptional for a sports broadcast. what is your criteria for "poor"? You do realize that most people are not sports fans and even fewer than that are hockey fans, right?

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Good finds, GHOST.

However, how exactly can you say that the Leafs numbers are "poor"? They are a top twenty program. That is exceptional for a sports broadcast. what is your criteria for "poor"? You do realize that most people are not sports fans and even fewer than that are hockey fans, right?

Thanks.

The numbers for the Leafs aren't really poor if considered on their own or compared to most markets. The operative phrase is "relatively poor" given the DMA size in comparison to Calgary's and Vancouver's DMA size. Crunch the numbers and you'll see that Vancouver and Calgary have higher percentages of viewers. Of course, I realize that not everyone is a sports or hockey fan. It's their loss, not mine. :)

GHOST

GSC2k2*

Thanks.

The numbers for the Leafs aren't really poor if considered on their own or compared to most markets. The operative phrase is "relatively poor" given the DMA size in comparison to Calgary's and Vancouver's DMA size. Crunch the numbers and you'll see that Vancouver and Calgary have higher percentages of viewers. Of course, I realize that not everyone is a sports or hockey fan. It's their loss, not mine. :)

GHOST

Noted. I understand your point. However, what have you done with your numbers? Your post was edited.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Noted. I understand your point. However, what have you done with your numbers? Your post was edited.

Oops. I noticed an error/typo and somehow managed to erase half the post while trying to correct it. :shakehead

Looks like I'll have to look up the data again and redo it unless I can somehow retrieve it. :help:

GHOST

EDIT: I've restored the post.

Last edited:

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
I finally found some hard data on the local Canadian numbers. These are from the Bureau of Broadcast Measurement, or BBM. BBM is an audience measurement organization for Canadian television. They recently formed a joint-venture with Neilson Media Research, BBM Nielsen Media Research Inc.

There is a lot of data at their site on weekly rankings and numbers. I haven't had a chance to look through it all to come up with average figures or to review the methodology and how it compares to the Nielsen rating figures used in the USA. However, I will post the numbers for the most recent weekly data available, February 26 - March 4, 2007.

Toronto DMA
Sportsnet Ontario -- Leafs: 340,000
CBC HNIC, Game 1: 316,000 (Leafs vs. Sabres)

Calgary DMA
CBC HNIC, Game 2: 135,000 (Flames vs. Oilers)
Sportsnet West -- Flames: 96,000

Vancouver DMA
Sportsnet Pacific -- Canucks: 249,000
CBC HNIC, Game 2: 166,000 (Flames vs. Oilers)
CBC HNIC, Game 1: 156,000 (Leafs vs. Sabres)

As Vancouver did not play on HNIC for the above-reported week, I looked up the data for the most recent weeks available where the Canucks did play. Here's are the numbers:

CBC HNIC Game 2: 297,000 (Thrashers @ Canucks, Feb. 10)
CBC HNIC Game 2: 322,000 (Canucks @ Flames, Feb. 3)

More data here:

http://www.bbm.ca/en/top_programs.html

Again, I just found this site and will post more later after examining the methodology, etc.

GHOST

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
GHOST I noticed the high viewership for CF vrs VC. I am wondering what the other ratings are for Canadian team matchups outside of Battle of Alberta. I'm also curious about the number of eyeballs Pittsburgh (and Crosby) attract.

( the reports are PDFs so it takes more time than I would like to find data. thanks for the link though.) :)

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
The lagging effect on a decline in TV ratings...

What are the consequences of poor and declining ratings in some markets? Jim Kelly in a Dec 2006 article states the obvious:

"Without good television viewership it's difficult to maintain and especially grow the ad revenue side of the business. Without large or even moderate television numbers it's difficult to attract new fans and thereby attract new advertisers and sponsorships.

...A perceived drop in attendance or in viewership now generally leads to a falloff in advertising dollars and sponsorship dollars later. Once that wheel starts turning it can be difficult to stop..."

Full article here:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/columnist.jsp?content=20061205_150323_2812

GHOST

Last edited:

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
damn rds gets some crazy high numbers for habs games.
Does anyone know the average for just saturday games? I can imagine them being around 900 000!!!

I was wondering what the combined numbers of RDS Habs and the 99.9999999999% of HNIC national Leafs games are as they usually are in the same time slot?

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
I was wondering what the combined numbers of RDS Habs and the 99.9999999999% of HNIC national Leafs games are as they usually are in the same time slot?

Hi Alpine,

From the figures I've seen, I'd estimate that a combined audience of about 2 million individual viewers is not uncommon for the 7 to 9:30 pm Eastern timeslot on Saturday for the regular season Leafs and Habs games. That's about 6.25% of all Canadians watching the games. The combined national (i.e., coast-to-coast) household ratings could be as high as a 12.0 (more on this later).

GHOST

Last edited:

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Average ratings of US regional sports networks - downward trend noticed

According to the linked aricle, the regional sports networks ("RSNs") in the USA owned by FSN (the RSN for the majority of US-based NHL teams), Comcast (the RSN for 3 NHL teams) and Rainbow Media (includes FSN New York/MSG Network, FSN Bay Area; the RSN for 4 NHL teams) averaged a rating for NHL games in their local markets of 0.78 or less than 1% of the TV households. Further, the trend in ratings is down, falling on average 18% over last season figures.

Quote:

"...the NHL is having trouble scoring locally. According to Nielsen, regional sports networks owned by FSN, Comcast and Rainbow Media suffered an average 18% drop in ratings in their respective markets -- to a 0.78 from a 0.95 in 2005-06 -through Jan. 21."

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6410619.html

Last edited:

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Draft list of NHL local TV stations

Let me know if there are any errors. Thanks.

GHOST

Anaheim Ducks - FSN Prime Ticket/KDOC 56/FSN West
Atlanta Thrashers - Turner South
Boston Bruins - NESN
Buffalo Sabres - MSG Network
Calgary Flames - Rogers Sportsnet West
Carolina Hurricanes - FSN South
Chicago Blackhawks - Comcast SportsNet
Colorado Avalanche - Altitude
Columbus Blue Jackets - FSN Ohio
Dallas Stars - FSN Southwest
Detroit Red Wings - FSN Detroit
Edmonton Oilers - Rogers Sportsnet West/CBC/TSN/PPV
Florida Panthers - FSN Florida
Los Angeles Kings - FSN Prime Ticket/FSN West
Minnesota Wild - FSN North
Montreal Canadiens - RDS/CBC
Nashville Predators - FSN South
New Jersey Devils - FSN New York/MSG Network
New York Islanders - FSN New York
New York Rangers - FSN New York/MSG Network
Ottawa Senators - Rogers Sportsnet East/A-Channel/CBC/TSN
Philadelphia Flyers - Comcast SportsNet
Phoenix Coyotes - FSN Arizona/AZTV
Pittsburgh Penguins - FSN Pittsburgh/WPCW
San Jose Sharks - FSN Bay Area
St. Louis Blues - FSN Midwest
Tampa Bay Lightning - Sun Sports
Toronto Maple Leafs - Leafs TV/CBC/TSN/RSN-O
Vancouver Canucks - Rogers Sportsnet Pacific/CBC/TSN/PPV
Washington Capitals - Comcast SportsNet

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Local and National Revenue figures

The below is from a 2003 article at andrewstarspage (see the link). The numbers for the Rangers, Bruins, Leafs and Canadiens appear consistent with the numbers I have seen in a different article published four years ago. It may or may not surprise certain readers, but there is a huge disparity in what teams make in local TV revenue.

GHOST

------------------------

"But TV revenue is not limited to the national contracts. Teams also work out deals with local broadcasters and many teams get far more money from local TV than they do from the national contracts. That is money the teams get to keep to themselves.

The New York Rangers are estimated to pull in $25 million per year from local rights. So do the Boston Bruins. Toronto gets $23 million. Montreal gets $16 million.

But not every NHL team pulls in big dollars from local TV. Some of the smaller market teams in the U.S. pull in less a $1 million per year from local broadcast rights."

http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/CBA/8-10cba.htm

nosam

Mar 15, 2007
toronto
greetings

hello, i'm new to this forum so i'm looking forward to being a part of this community.

i'm looking for a link which would detail annual NHL tv revenue per team. can anyone help?

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
I'm guessing that tonight's Penguins/Sabres game will be the highest rated regular season game in Versus/OLN history. It's a match up of this seasons two best American TV markets and teams that are widely considered to be two of the most exciting clubs in the league. Combine that with the Pens arena deal and Buffalo's non-local drawing power (no one can get jobs here, there's a lot of Sabre fans in the South) and they should draw a pretty high number for a regular season cable game.

It did indeed set a record for Versus.

http://sabresratings.blogspot.com/2007/03/sabrespens-garners-record-ratings.html

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Stars split time between FSN Southwest and a local broadcast network called My27 (runs Fox news, but considers itself an independent).

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.

Those are indeed good ratings for Versus, but in a way it just underlines how poor the ratings are in the USA as a whole compared to the other major sports. 400,000 or even half a million viewers on a national broadcast to see Crosby et. al. versus the Sabres, a top team with very high local ratings, in a country with over 100 million TV households...that's similar in absolute (not percentage) terms to the numbers TSN gets in Canada for telecasts of US teams facing off against each other.

GHOST

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Islanders will play a couple games on MSG network when devils play on FSN and nothing on MSG.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Games on TSN this evening

TSN has two games on schedule this evening:

Buffalo vs Washington 7:00 ET
Nashville vs Vancouver 10:00 ET

The games are on MSG and FSS locally in the states.

Who do you think will get the better ratings?

In terms of actual viewers, TSN's Wednesday broadcasts of American vs American teams produces numbers similar or better than Versus Monday night national broadcasts. That may be one reason, TSN is rumoured to be paying in the ball park of $50 million per year to the NHL in their next contract.

Just some more or less random thoughts.

GHOST

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Some recent info from a Toronto Globe & Mail article:

- the NHL should make a profit from the NBC broadcasts, but neither NBC nor the NHL would disclose the dollar amount

- Bettman confirms that profit from [national] TV "is distributed equally among the 30 NHL clubs"

- NBC's ratings (percentage of households tuned in) for NHL telecasts are down slightly from last year, 1.0 compared with 1.1

- the article notes, however, that "Versus audiences are up 30 per cent. What's more, the average audience of 216,000 is larger than the ESPN2 average in the final year of its NHL contract in 2003-04 (209,000 viewers). However, there is an important qualifier. To protect the regional networks, ESPN2 was blacked out in the home markets of the two teams playing in the game it was telecasting. Versus's broadcast is not."

- according to the article: "Two weeks ago, Versus pulled in its largest NHL audience ever: 469,441 viewers for the Pittsburgh Penguins-New York Rangers game. Not surprisingly, the New York and Pittsburgh markets delivered a large portion of that audience."

- the article noted some Canadian TV audience figures for the recent weekend:

Hockey. Sabres-Leafs. CBC 1.446 million Above the season average of 1.381 million.

Hockey. Leafs-Sabres. TSN 961,000 Second-most watched NHL telecast on TSN this year.

Hockey. Predators-Oilers. CBC 652,000 Down from season average of 748,000.

Hockey. CIS final. TSN 154,000 Good audience for the final (Moncton-New Brunswick).

- an NBC NHL simulast on TSN of a game between two American teams had a decent audience in Canada:

Hockey. Bruins-Penguins. TSN 236,000 An NBC simulcast.

Read the full article, here:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070328.TRUTH28/TPStory/TPSports/Television/

GHOST

Last edited:

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
A Tale of Two National Broadcast Network NHL TV Deals

NBC and CBC together with the NHL each recently announced their respective extentions of their national TV deals - a one year extention for NBC and a 6 year new contract for CBC.

Monetary terms:

NBC -- no right fees/revenue sharing with NHL/estimated proft/revenue not disclosed

CBC -- 600 million CAD or 100 million CAD per year (about 85 million USD per year)

Profits to be shared equally amongst the 30 NHL teams.

Link:

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories/2007/03/26/daily21.html

A second new national deal in Canada between cable sports channel TSN and the NHL is expected to announced shortly.

GHOST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->