NHL.TV / Center Ice Discussion - Part II [See the warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Did the NHL take away the ability to go full screen on NHL.TV? I've been trying it over the last few days (I got a new monitor for Christmas and wanted to try it out) and every time I would scroll down, it would shrink the video and show me the stats page. I try to do it really slowly and it still doesn't work. Is there anything I can do to just get the video and not worry about the stats? I really do miss the old GCL set up.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Does anyone know why on the NHL app you can't watch a game if it's a national broadcast? Yesterday I got home from a vacation and while I was in the United States I remember trying to watch the Leafs and Penguins game on December 9th and the Leafs and Oilers game from December 10th. Both times it said I was not in the correct viewing area or something like that, however I had no problems watching any Leafs games if it happened to be a regional broadcast.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
The the NHL take away the ability to go full screen on NHL.TV? I've been trying it over the last few days (I got a new monitor for Christmas and wanted to try it out) and every time I would scroll down, it would shrink the video and show me the stats page. I try to do it really slowly and it still doesn't work. Is there anything I can do to just get the video and not worry about the stats? I really do miss the old GCL set up.

Anything on a browser is a fight. Product is great on apps though.

Try reducing your browser text size. Ctrl and the - button. On Firefox I have nhl.com at 67% the normal size.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Anything on a browser is a fight. Product is great on apps though.

Try reducing your browser text size. Ctrl and the - button. On Firefox I have nhl.com at 67% the normal size.

Thank you. I can finally put it on full screen doing it that way. It's terrible that an organization like the NHL has to force people to do something like that just to get the product to work properly.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Does anyone know why on the NHL app you can't watch a game if it's a national broadcast? Yesterday I got home from a vacation and while I was in the United States I remember trying to watch the Leafs and Penguins game on December 9th and the Leafs and Oilers game from December 10th. Both times it said I was not in the correct viewing area or something like that, however I had no problems watching any Leafs games if it happened to be a regional broadcast.
Any game that is being telecast in your local area will be blacked out on NHL.tv, including any national broadcasts.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
Might be a bit off-topic but what do you watch as highlights? Do you watch the extended highlights / condensed games (6-9mins) or just the recap (4-5mins). I have the feeling that the condensed games often are only longer because they show every damn goal for 30 seconds in slow motion, even the unspectacular ones. Do you also get all the important stuff from the recaps?

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I’ve purchased this for four years running and this year it is the worst product I’ve ever spent $100 on. It constantly times out and has stream errors. It isn’t my connection as all other apps and devices in the house work just fine. Doesn’t matter if it’s my ipad, ps4, phone, etc. the app just is horrible.

Reactions: Thrive

nhllondon

Sep 6, 2014
Can anyone confirm nhl.tv archived games are less quality. I'm not interested in watching games live, but I'm having a hard time watching games from October 2017 on my Apple TV 3. Lots of periodic blurring. Kbps fluctuating throughout. Making the broadcast unwatchable. Very recent archived games are better streaming quality. As long as you watch the archived game within the first 48-72 hours. This used to be the case with neulion, but I can watch MLB archived games flawlessly. Doesn't matter how old the game is. The product is made by the same company (MLBAM), but the only thing they have in common is the ad breaks. It doesn't make any sense! Are the archived games kept at less quality due to a lack of storage? Something to do with servers? I'm not a tech person.

robsmiths

Aug 23, 2016
Can anyone confirm nhl.tv archived games are less quality. I'm not interested in watching games live, but I'm having a hard time watching games from October 2017 on my Apple TV 3. Lots of periodic blurring. Kbps fluctuating throughout. Making the broadcast unwatchable. Very recent archived games are better streaming quality. As long as you watch the archived game within the first 48-72 hours. This used to be the case with neulion, but I can watch MLB archived games flawlessly. Doesn't matter how old the game is. The product is made by the same company (MLBAM), but the only thing they have in common is the ad breaks. It doesn't make any sense! Are the archived games kept at less quality due to a lack of storage? Something to do with servers? I'm not a tech person.

This was the main issue that I had with nhl.tv and why I cancelled. There were continual problems with being able to reliably stream games older than 48-72 hours. For me the games would barely load and were certainly completely unwatchable and not viable as a viewing experience because the streams would freeze completely then die if they did load at all that is and within seconds or minutes die. When this was happening the games from the previous 2 days were fine, much older games (from 2014-15) which they had backfilled seemed fine, and all other streaming services and websites appeared working for me without issue. If this happened with neulion I would just migrate to the Vault. Chances were that I could stream the same game from there albeit in lesser bit rate quality and without a choice of feed. Since the switch that was no longer possible as they finished with the Vault. Also as a comparison like with yourself all mlb.tv games whether live, archived, older than 48 hours, current day or seasons old worked as you say flawlessly.

When I raised this issue with nhl.tv customer service about streaming archived games older than 72 hours first of all they wanted me to go through the very basic troubleshooting which I did and despite other subscribers also raising the same issue they were not helpful at all beyond that and instead chose to block me from all electronic communication methods (twitter, their support forum and email) then when I eventually got through to a customer service manager about all of that the response was not helpful in fact bad enough that I also cancelled mlb.tv in disgust. I had fully subscribed for 6-7 years.

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Is no one else having terrible trouble with this piece of **** ? It has been garbage for a few weeks now for me. I'm using it on Chrome, or trying to. I tried on Firefox as well and it's no better.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Anyone having issues with ROgers NHL TV today? I'm used to the Oilers games being blacked out cause I'm in Alberta but EVERY game is telling me it's blacked out today. St. Louis vs Philly, Carolina vs Boston, what the f*** garbage is this? $100 dollars and I can't even watch out of market games now? f*** Rogers and f*** the NHL.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Is no one else having terrible trouble with this piece of **** ? It has been garbage for a few weeks now for me. I'm using it on Chrome, or trying to. I tried on Firefox as well and it's no better.

I'm in S. Korea - started having major problems early Dec. I went back and forth with the support cust. service - they told me to reboot the router and try changing my router setting (which turned into a nightmare for me - well, not really, but, really!!) and basically, after probably 10 or more emails back and forth - and none of the suggestions having ANY effect, SUDDENLY about a week ago, things started working again.

The only thing I did to my computer was:
1) started running my CC cleaner more frequently, esp. cleaning the registry (that free CC cleaner download works good = imo
2) I turned off my wifi (toggle it off) on my router when I am going to watch the game.

After trying different things with the router, I finally realized, AHH, why not turn the wifi off, so, the FIRST TIME I turned off the wifi and the game worked perfectly. And, has been working good ever since.

So, i kept turning the wifi off every time I watched a game for about a week, and then, I thought, I will NOW CONFIRM for sure that that solved the problem.
So, I logged in and clicked on a game with the wifi STILL ON, and, wth, the game worked perfectly.

So, I STOPPED TURNNING OFF THE WIFI - because that wasn't the making the difference.

I told nhl.com right from the get go, WHY WHY WHY can I watch earlier games in the year perfectly, BUT, it's the more recent games that I can't watch.

The reply was they use a distributive system, which means (from further away - as in S. KOrea), I might be connecting to a different network; he didn't admit that some networks can't handle the traffic as well, but, I suspect that is/was the problem.

ANYWAYS, all I know is that it's working near perfect again, in terms of NOT LAGGING and starting and stopping, and it's not buffering.

Guess you could try using CCleaner but I doubt that is your problem. Anyways, good luck.

Reactions: Faterson

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
I got my FireTV yesterday and installed Kodi. I also put my keymaps in and installed modified "no-spoiler"-skin. Works like a charm. Really the best way to avoid hooking up the PC on the TV to enjoy hockey.

Reactions: CPTN71

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I'm in S. Korea - started having major problems early Dec. I went back and forth with the support cust. service - they told me to reboot the router and try changing my router setting (which turned into a nightmare for me - well, not really, but, really!!) and basically, after probably 10 or more emails back and forth - and none of the suggestions having ANY effect, SUDDENLY about a week ago, things started working again.

The only thing I did to my computer was:
1) started running my CC cleaner more frequently, esp. cleaning the registry (that free CC cleaner download works good = imo
2) I turned off my wifi (toggle it off) on my router when I am going to watch the game.

After trying different things with the router, I finally realized, AHH, why not turn the wifi off, so, the FIRST TIME I turned off the wifi and the game worked perfectly. And, has been working good ever since.

So, i kept turning the wifi off every time I watched a game for about a week, and then, I thought, I will NOW CONFIRM for sure that that solved the problem.
So, I logged in and clicked on a game with the wifi STILL ON, and, wth, the game worked perfectly.

So, I STOPPED TURNNING OFF THE WIFI - because that wasn't the making the difference.

I told nhl.com right from the get go, WHY WHY WHY can I watch earlier games in the year perfectly, BUT, it's the more recent games that I can't watch.

The reply was they use a distributive system, which means (from further away - as in S. KOrea), I might be connecting to a different network; he didn't admit that some networks can't handle the traffic as well, but, I suspect that is/was the problem.

ANYWAYS, all I know is that it's working near perfect again, in terms of NOT LAGGING and starting and stopping, and it's not buffering.

Guess you could try using CCleaner but I doubt that is your problem. Anyways, good luck.

THIS IS EXACTLY MY PROBLEM here in Korea as well! For the last month when I watch a game (usually 9am start here) at around 10pm at night I get horrible streaming. Speed check shows our normal ultra fast speeds, but the game is near unwatchable for 90% of the game. I haven't bothered calling CSR because they always suck when I do. There's one game out of the last ten that I've watched that has not been bad streaming wise. It's crazy how it could start happening basically overnight. Earlier in the season the games were fine. This is obviously a legitimate problem if you are experiencing it too. Streaming things on Kodi or Google Movies I have no issues. It's just NHL.TV. So frustrating.

I'd like to add that if I do get up early on a weekend or watch a game live late at night for a 1pm start, the streaming is fine. It's only archived games, and these are within the first 24 hours. I don't watch any older than that so can't confirm its the same.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
THIS IS EXACTLY MY PROBLEM here in Korea as well! For the last month when I watch a game (usually 9am start here) at around 10pm at night I get horrible streaming. Speed check shows our normal ultra fast speeds, but the game is near unwatchable for 90% of the game. I haven't bothered calling CSR because they always suck when I do. There's one game out of the last ten that I've watched that has not been bad streaming wise. It's crazy how it could start happening basically overnight. Earlier in the season the games were fine. This is obviously a legitimate problem if you are experiencing it too. Streaming things on Kodi or Google Movies I have no issues. It's just NHL.TV. So frustrating.

I'd like to add that if I do get up early on a weekend or watch a game live late at night for a 1pm start, the streaming is fine. It's only archived games, and these are within the first 24 hours. I don't watch any older than that so can't confirm its the same.

I understand you not bothering to contact cust. serv. completely. On the other hand, if you give them your IP address, perhaps there is something they can do that allows you to connect to a specific server at their end. But, I don't understand how the signals transfer around and how they connect to sites - just speculating, that there might be a possibility.

I went back and forth with cust serv and basically got very little satisfaction - PLUS they didn't want to answer my simple questions and only answered after I kept repeating it over and over and over in every email. The question being - like you stated - why do the earlier games work fine and suddenly the newer games don't - the guy (or gal) just kept ignoring that question and then finally in the 5 or 6 th email said there system is distributive system and at times we may connect to different servers.
Okay, I guess that is the beginning of the explanation. But, so what, unless, what he wouldn't say is that as the season goes on the bank (or storage) of all the games on the site grows larger and larger and when you connect to some of the servers there is not enough (speed/space/whatever) and thus we lose our streaming speed at our end.
Anyways, I don't know what the heck the reasons are!

I just know it is working fine now, both live games AND archived games.

The ONLY ONLY thing I can think of that i did differently on my computer was I started using the CCleaner (it's a free app you could download - really simple) and regularly run the system cleaner and the registry cleaner). The whole thing takes literally less than 1 minute to do a cleaning after you've downloaded it.- you COULD try it - what the heck, it's worth a try. Again, it's free (there is a pro version you have to pay for, but, I just use the free verssion and it seems fine).

GOOD LUCK.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I understand you not bothering to contact cust. serv. completely. On the other hand, if you give them your IP address, perhaps there is something they can do that allows you to connect to a specific server at their end. But, I don't understand how the signals transfer around and how they connect to sites - just speculating, that there might be a possibility.

I went back and forth with cust serv and basically got very little satisfaction - PLUS they didn't want to answer my simple questions and only answered after I kept repeating it over and over and over in every email. The question being - like you stated - why do the earlier games work fine and suddenly the newer games don't - the guy (or gal) just kept ignoring that question and then finally in the 5 or 6 th email said there system is distributive system and at times we may connect to different servers.
Okay, I guess that is the beginning of the explanation. But, so what, unless, what he wouldn't say is that as the season goes on the bank (or storage) of all the games on the site grows larger and larger and when you connect to some of the servers there is not enough (speed/space/whatever) and thus we lose our streaming speed at our end.
Anyways, I don't know what the heck the reasons are!

I just know it is working fine now, both live games AND archived games.

The ONLY ONLY thing I can think of that i did differently on my computer was I started using the CCleaner (it's a free app you could download - really simple) and regularly run the system cleaner and the registry cleaner). The whole thing takes literally less than 1 minute to do a cleaning after you've downloaded it.- you COULD try it - what the heck, it's worth a try. Again, it's free (there is a pro version you have to pay for, but, I just use the free verssion and it seems fine).

GOOD LUCK.

Yeah, i'll give that a try. I can't believe how much the watching pleasure drops with such low resolution. I don't know how I survived watching hockey in the 80's, lol.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
iPhone X support would be nice... current version of the app only uses half the damn screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->