NHL to Seattle Volume XV - Moving the Expansion Needle [Upd: 9/24 Arena Reno. Unanimously Approved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
The answer to the announcement question is conditionally shortly. From Twitter:

BREAKING: Date is set. NHL Board of Governors will meet June 20 in Las Vegas, per league source. That’s when the #NHL is expected to give conditional approval of an expansion team in #Seattle. #komonews

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
The $275 per person headtax is so insignificant it's not even funny. Even if it was $1000 the fact that there are no state taxes in Washington State more than offsets any set or future increased headtax..

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The $275 per person headtax is so insignificant it's not even funny. Even if it was $1000 the fact that there are no state taxes in Washington State more than offsets any set or future increased headtax..

We don't even have a jock tax.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

Right? You have an advantage with free agents due to no state income tax (And close to home if you live in Western Canada)

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Seems like he is hedging his bets a bit..saying that something might still come out of June.. (something soft..maybe a non binding letter of intent or something along those lines)

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
September is basically the full approval of the franchise. It always been September. We weren't going to get full approval in June.

Its like december BOG, meeting we were only expecting discussion not the start of the expansion process.

Last edited:

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I would like to see a conditional approval in June so they could start hiring, but I suppose they can do that anyways. Maybe someone can answer that. I bring this up because of the Toronto news of Hunter leaving the organization. Sounds like an interesting possibility for GM. Seems to have a good reputation

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I don't think we'll hear anything about a conditional franchise until the meeting itself. Bettman would rather control things than to be put on the spot and have no choice but to grant a conditional.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
More on the previous post:

He also did an interview with the AP where similar comments were made. All I'm seeing here, and if any of you agree please let me know, is more of the same with Bettman when it comes to this or other relocation/expansion, this sort of coy "noncommittal" stance when behind the closed board room doors, the verbage is a lot different. So I'd still be paying attention to the 20th if for no other reason than to see if the BoG decides to take a different tact on this subject through its actions. Guess is they won't but you never know.....

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I talk to NHLtoSeattle John Barr on facebook often and he suggest that since the project is on track that a conditional franchise isn't necessary.

I still think a conditional franchise could happen in june. Bettman just won't say it publicly.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Seattle would get Vegas' favorable NHL expansion terms, commissioner says

"
The vote on adding a Seattle franchise won't happen in June when the board of governors meets during the league's annual awards show in Las Vegas, Bettman said. But the board will get an update on Seattle's plans, and a formal vote could happen later this year, perhaps at meetings in September or December."

September BOG meeting is the earliest i believe the full vote will happen and December BOG will be the latest.

Since the league will be getting an update in june anyways, it still within a realm of a possibility that a conditional franchise could happen. That would be up to the BOG folks themselves to decide that.

Reminder Seattle wasn't on the dec 2017 agenda and BOG voted to start the expansion process for Seattle.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
i asked a while back but perhaps you didn't see it, gstommylee. Im still wondering why seattle did not submit an expansion bid in 2015.

Of the 3 groups. Sodo arena: Victor coleman wanted to submit it later once the sodo arena deal was finalzied for hockey (never happened) Tukwila arena; Ray B lost his main $$$ backer and apparently was only willing to put 100m into it. Bellevue arena: it completely fell apart.

It wasn't until last year with OVG showing up with NHL group with $$$ that we had a solid group with the means to get it done.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
i asked a while back but perhaps you didn't see it, gstommylee. Im still wondering why seattle did not submit an expansion bid in 2015.
In addition to what is said above, an arena in the city of Seattle was handcuffed by the SoDo arena MOU which restricted any other stadium development in Seattle while it was active hence why Key Arena RFP was dispatched like the day after the MOU expired. The Sodo hockey people could have submitted something but in the end it looks like hockey may never have been in their wishes and any funding/loans for Sodo was dependent on basketball first and hockey second (and not vice versa). To me it seems like NHL wanted Vegas and Seattle and when Seattle handcuffed itself the NHL progressed with just Vegas knowing that they could have Seattle apply soon thereafter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->