NHL to Seattle Volume XV - Moving the Expansion Needle [Upd: 9/24 Arena Reno. Unanimously Approved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
OT, but those of you who regularly follow Daniels on Twitter, :popcorn: would be in order right now if you haven't had a chance to look.

Speaking of which, Tommy, do you think this proposal would impact getting an NHL team here? I certainly would guess the answer is yes and they might use that to not award us a team in June......Thoughts?

Oh good god. Its not going to impact the darn arena or getting the team. Stop making an issue that does not exist.

The NHL is not going to say no to 650m check and the city is not going to say no to a 660m redo of key arena.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
In some states there is a tax on what sports players make which is no different than what the head tax is. The NHL isn't complaining about that tax so i have no idea why the heck they would even care about it in Seattle. Its not even legal anyways so the head tax if it gets approved in any form and signed by mayor. It'll probably be challenged and thrown out in courts or the state will pass a law blocking it.

Moving on.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

OT, but felt the need to post this. Looks as if KING has the $$ to send a crew down to Vegas to work the Conference Final games this week to continue this NHL/Seattle drumbeat in the local media. It's not the usual Chris (Daniels) but the other one (Egan). This Chris BTW I think will do a good job, too.

Reactions: Killion

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Late last week I got a call from the NHL Seattle group. Thanked me for my ticket deposit, some demographic questions and some feelers for where in the stadium I may want to sit, who I'd bring and what kind of season ticket holder benefits I would be interested in. Was great to hear there are staff and people behind the scenes working on all this. They did note to have seating and ticket cost info ready in the fall.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
KeyArena renovation construction could already be delayed

OK, Tommy, thoughts? KOMO interview w/Nellams, the Seattle Center director......

I never did like komo news. They always been negative on the arena plans in the past few years. With that said i can understand what he's saying. We are moving at an advance pace for the approval process. Nothing says that they can't get the lease development and what not approved in time if they get all the documents ready by mid September. Remember OVG wasn't originally suppose to get control of the building until end of October due to a key arena event late that month. However, that event was pushed up a month so OVG gets control of it sooner and can start sooner. So there is a few weeks of added time.

Everything from King 5 Chris Daniels says everything is on track for final approval which i assume would include all of that.

Headline is also misleading. It doesn't even say if it is or isn't in the article. Komo News isn't nearly on top of stuff as King 5 chris daniels is.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
The timetable makes sense. Bonderman stated he expected some sort of conditional approval in June. The BoG meets at the NHL awards show on June 20th.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
The timetable makes sense. Bonderman stated he expected some sort of conditional approval in June. The BoG meets at the NHL awards show on June 20th.

I would assume this is confirmation of a franchise, but the start year not confirmed because of the possibility of construction delays?

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
I would assume this is confirmation of a franchise, but the start year not confirmed because of the possibility of construction delays?

Full approval is expected in September (I'm guessing they want to see if there are any major issues).

I don't get the narrative that there is a possibility of construction delays. Its like there is a possibility of me walking out of my house and getting hit by a bus. Anything is possible.

Sorry MNNumbers, I didn't mean to come down on you. I just dislike irresponsible headlines. Now I have to deal with sodobusters saying Key Arena is already delayed and that the NBA hates the Key Arena, based on circumstantial stuff at best.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
SD- No worries. I just asked the question. I had seen that headline, and I always think about the possibilities. Plus, it's Seattle, which has a reputation.

The three months from June to September will be interesting - about the possibility of a major issue. That would be with the EIS? Or, something unknown buried underground? or, what?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Full approval is expected in September (I'm guessing they want to see if there are any major issues).

I don't get the narrative that there is a possibility of construction delays. Its like there is a possibility of me walking out of my house and getting hit by a bus. Anything is possible.

Sorry MNNumbers, I didn't mean to come down on you. I just dislike irresponsible headlines. Now I have to deal with sodobusters saying Key Arena is already delayed and that the NBA hates the Key Arena, based on circumstantial stuff at best.

What bugs me is people are not paying attention to whats already been said both about the arena (requires actually league approval) and that the revenue between 3 parties (which won't be a problem when the NHL group will be the NBA group)

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
SD- No worries. I just asked the question. I had seen that headline, and I always think about the possibilities. Plus, it's Seattle, which has a reputation.

The three months from June to September will be interesting - about the possibility of a major issue. That would be with the EIS? Or, something unknown buried underground? or, what?

Honestly that is the only thing that could hinder things, if they find something huge in the EIS.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Or perhaps a head tax, which I think could apply to an NHL team.........

Can you drop it. That head tax will not impact the team what so ever. Its pocket change to a billionaries.

Softy asked Tod Leiweke about that and he said it won't be a problem. A NHL franchise + employees of that building won't be impacted by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad