NHL to Seattle Volume XIV - Seattle sells 26,000 season ticket deposits in 2 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougMellon

Feb 15, 2018
SBnation
Google has an office too I believe.

There is really a huge difference between Seattle and Vegas in terms of cooperate companies. Leiweke knows how to make sale pitches of his and OVG's plans. We couldn't have a better person for the job.

Can't ignore that his brother was the CEO of the Seahawks and Sounders.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
@BattleBorn, I honestly think Seattle has far more hockey fans than Las Vegas. The economic culture and migrations to the city were from traditional markets and California.
We've done this before. I'm not going to do it in this thread, though. :laugh:

ETA: Plus, now that I'm thinking about it, I may have lost the data I cited all the time anyway. I didn't really think I'd need it this quickly. :)

Reactions: DougMellon

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Google has an office too I believe.

There is really a huge difference between Seattle and Vegas in terms of cooperate companies. Leiweke knows how to make sale pitches of his and OVG's plans. We couldn't have a better person for the job.

In addition to the named Microsoft, Amazon and Starbucks, don't forget Costco (the largest of this entire group), Boeing, PACCAR, REI and Nordstrom (iirc). The list is quite impressive in that regard.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
In addition to the named Microsoft, Amazon and Starbucks, don't forget Costco (the largest of this entire group), Boeing, PACCAR, REI and Nordstrom (iirc). The list is quite impressive in that regard.

And Nintendo of America as well.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I'd say I'm doing a pretty bad job of attempting to 'manage expectations'. I quit.

It was always difficult to try to get people to lower their expectations. It doesn't help when there news that raises them. I mean just picture ticket drive hits 14k and how the expectations of team announcement from people would be.

I waited half my life for this to see the day the arena issue finally gets resolved and the NHL official grants the team. I was pretty close to saying well forget about it and move onto be a one team fan aka sounders and nothing else.

DougMellon

Feb 15, 2018
SBnation
It was always difficult to try to get people to lower their expectations. It doesn't help when there news that raises them. I mean just picture ticket drive hits 14k and how the expectations of team announcement from people would be.

Also, when we are just as excited.. it makes it that much more difficult.

Thanks for the discussion.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Sorry I missed the discussion today as it seems to have been quite interesting. Between work and following that fiasco of a trade between the Pens, Senators and Knights I haven't been in this forum Welcome to the thread 'DougMellon' by the way. Enjoying your input.

I tend to agree with BattleBorn and MNNumbers on most of what was said that an early announcement seems not premature but possibly unnecessary. Given Seattle's reputation for stretching things out (hitting snags) the goal of the 2020-21 season is an ambitious one at the outset imo. Announcing it sooner rather than later makes me uneasy but that's just me. I don't see the need. Get the environmental review completed and construction started.

All just my two cents I believe it is all but a done deal, the ticket drive will be successful and things will go forward. But 'Bertha' is like a tiny gnat buzzing around my head. Pessimist in me I guess.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Sorry I missed the discussion today as it seems to have been quite interesting. Between work and following that fiasco of a trade between the Pens, Senators and Knights I haven't been in this forum Welcome to the thread 'DougMellon' by the way. Enjoying your input.

I tend to agree with BattleBorn and MNNumbers on most of what was said that an early announcement seems not premature but possibly unnecessary. Given Seattle's reputation for stretching things out (hitting snags) the goal of the 2020-21 season is an ambitious one at the outset imo. Announcing it sooner rather than later makes me uneasy but that's just me. I don't see the need. Get the environmental review completed and construction started.

All just my two cents I believe it is all but a done deal, the ticket drive will be successful and things will go forward. But 'Bertha' is like a tiny gnat buzzing around my head. Pessimist in me I guess.

Can we not compare arena construction to that tunnel mess.

The issue is it doesn't help to make the team cram everything in a year by waiting till 2019 for the league to officially grant the team. The extra year will help get everything in place and allow the team to get rooted in the market.

If the nhl has any concerns about the arena, they would never allowed the group to turn in an application last december. They would have waited until there is more certainty about it.

I don't see the SCC suddenly changing their minds on this due to environmental reasons.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Can we not compare arena construction to that tunnel mess.

The issue is it doesn't help to make the team cram everything in a year by waiting till 2019 for the league to officially grant the team. The extra year will help get everything in place and allow the team to get rooted in the market.

If the nhl has any concerns about the arena, they would never allowed the group to turn in an application last december. They would have waited until there is more certainty about it.

I don't see the SCC suddenly changing their minds on this due to environmental reasons.

As I have stated earlier in this thread I am quite certain OVG is not sitting on its hands waiting for the proclamation that a franchise has been granted but is working behind the scenes diligently preparing for that eventuality just as I am sure Vegas did. For the NHL to announce before the environmental review is completed and construction is started seems rather foolish in my opinion regardless if SCC approval is a foregone conclusion. I do believe that they probably will announce sooner but it doesn't change my opinion.

As for my obviously failed attempt at humor by using a singular event to make a larger point about Seattle in general, I did not intend to compare situations but to show wariness of the very speed that you referenced earlier in this thread that the city is moving so uncharacteristically fast on this arena. Sorry if that offended you.

Last edited:

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
...I tend to agree with BattleBorn and MNNumbers on most of what was said that an early announcement seems not premature but possibly unnecessary. Given Seattle's reputation for stretching things out (hitting snags) the goal of the 2020-21 season is an ambitious one at the outset imo. Announcing it sooner rather than later makes me uneasy but that's just me. I don't see the need. Get the environmental review completed and construction started...

...The issue is it doesn't help to make the team cram everything in a year by waiting till 2019 for the league to officially grant the team. The extra year will help get everything in place and allow the team to get rooted in the market.

If the nhl has any concerns about the arena, they would never allowed the group to turn in an application last december. They would have waited until there is more certainty about it...

...For the NHL to announce before the environmental review is completed and construction is started seems rather foolish in my opinion regardless if SCC approval is a foregone conclusion...As for my obviously failed attempt at humor by using a singular event to make a larger point about Seattle in general, I did not intend to compare situations but to show wariness of the very speed that you referenced earlier in this thread that the city is moving so uncharacteristically on this arena...

I see it as just more pressure on Arizona to get movement...ANY MOVEMENT...on their new arena...

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
I probably shouldn't even be in here because I really don't care when the team is announced. As far as I am concerned, it's already announced. The question is when does it start playing.....

And, that timeline has 9 weeks of 'project completion' happening after the start of the 20-21 season. Now, granted, that works. You can finish the details in the midst of 12 games or so on the schedule. You could.

And, I know there are lots of rabid Seattle fans - Welcome to the Board, Doug, btw. Also tommy, nwhockeyfan and many others. But, I think I am with BB here, to some extent. There are definitely possibilities of delay happening yet. And, it wouldn't take much to make that whole timeline end up 3 months later, and then what???

Something as simple as one month strike by a labor union messes up the whole first year.

I would think that patience would be a virtue here.

Fair points, MN.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Of course you would. :biglaugh:

Arizona will Arizona. Nothing that’s going on in Seattle will change that.

Seattle getting a team doesn't impact Arizona what so ever. Since they are going in as expansion not relocation. Its Houston that Arizona has to worry about.

Reactions: Llama19

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
Member @sparkychewbarky came up with the well received Kraken logo and uniform concept a while ago. It seems he's at it again with some concepts for the new team.

The Battle of Seattle

Of the first four he's posted, I like the first three concepts with the "Sawbucks" concept as my favorite, although I would prefer the team name to be the Stags -- an idea I've actually had in the past that really works well with the concept he created. Can't wait to see where he goes with the rest of these.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Dramatic changes made to plans to replace KeyArena

New renderings for the arena. Also speculates announcement could come as soon as June.

Very interesting.... Re-configured the entire approach, main entrance... adding a number of "high-end touches" which sound fabulous... room for a small park, greenspace; that or the expanded atrium possible locale's for a "Legends Row" of former NBA & PCHA Stars, future Seattle NHL greats. I like it.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Dramatic changes made to plans to replace KeyArena

New renderings for the arena. Also speculates announcement could come as soon as June.

Looks great! It appears you were right about the announcement. The one big difference between the Vegas announcement and this one would be a completed building I am sure contingencies will be built into that announcement for delays and the like. All in all great news.

DougMellon

Feb 15, 2018
SBnation
Looks great! It appears you were right about the announcement. The one big difference between the Vegas announcement and this one would be a completed building I am sure contingencies will be built into that announcement for delays and the like. All in all great news.

I'll say it again that nothing will be following the Vegas timeline.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I'll say it again that nothing will be following the Vegas timeline.

I misread that article

The article above about the new arena stated the below, that if it followed the Las Vegas timeline, which I see now is obviously incorrect in that an announcement in June would be a year sooner than Vegas. That makes it totally different you are correct.

"NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman has been coy about when a official decision will be made, but it is widely believed, based on how the league handled expansion Las Vegas, an announcement could be made as early as June."

DougMellon

Feb 15, 2018
SBnation
I misread that article

The article above about the new arena stated the below, that if it followed the Las Vegas timeline, which I see now is obviously incorrect in that an announcement in June would be a year sooner than Vegas. That makes it totally different you are correct.

"NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman has been coy about when a official decision will be made, but it is widely believed, based on how the league handled expansion Las Vegas, an announcement could be made as early as June."

I wouldn't be shocked to hear something earlier than June. Time will tell - either way, hockey is on it's way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad