NHL to Seattle Volume XIV - Seattle sells 26,000 season ticket deposits in 2 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Saw this discussion last night on HNIC and while I think that the Holland name will certainly bring a lot of praise from people around the region who know and understand the game because of his previous success (not recent, of course) in Detroit, I'd have to think they'll look to find someone a bit younger to handle that role.

That all said, it almost seems like people are getting a bit ahead of themselves here. Let's get the franchise officially awarded first then we can talk about who should get the chance to do what when this board officially gives us a team thread.

Fun to discuss and think of the possibilities. I guarantee OVG is thinking about things like that even though in very preliminary stages. They have to be.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Fun to discuss and think of the possibilities. I guarantee OVG is thinking about things like that even though in very preliminary stages. They have to be.

That's certainly true, but they shouldn't be putting the cart before the horse yet. They haven't even started the season ticket drive for heaven's sake. There will be a more appropriate time to address this issue - all this does is get people's hopes up and this process has had too much of that thus far IMO.

I will however say that one thing that I would hope Oak View is thinking closely about is when they do start hiring these key positions (GM, team president, head coach, etc.) is that they find individuals for these positions that already have a name familiarity with Seattle fans. One thing if you pay attention to Twitter or SonicsRising comment threads for example is there to me at least seems to be a lot of animosity about the idea of NHL first as opposed to the NBA. And I hate to say this, but I feel the view of the general sports fan in this town I think probably follows along that script. Fans here want the NBA more than they do the NHL and this is because they're not nearly as familiar with the NHL product as they are with the NBA one. OVG can potentially tamp down a little bit of that if they bring in folks that are already known to the fans here.

Another thing Oak View can do to perhaps help get fans more comfortable with the NHL product is by working w/ShoWare or Everett to schedule some preseason games this fall in the local market involving the West Coast clubs (VAN/CGY/EDM/California teams/AZ/Vegas).

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
That's certainly true, but they shouldn't be putting the cart before the horse yet. They haven't even started the season ticket drive for heaven's sake. There will be a more appropriate time to address this issue - all this does is get people's hopes up and this process has had too much of that thus far IMO.

I will however say that one thing that I would hope Oak View is thinking closely about is when they do start hiring these key positions (GM, team president, head coach, etc.) is that they find individuals for these positions that already have a name familiarity with Seattle fans. One thing if you pay attention to Twitter or SonicsRising comment threads for example is there to me at least seems to be a lot of animosity about the idea of NHL first as opposed to the NBA. And I hate to say this, but I feel the view of the general sports fan in this town I think probably follows along that script. Fans here want the NBA more than they do the NHL and this is because they're not nearly as familiar with the NHL product as they are with the NBA one. OVG can potentially tamp down a little bit of that if they bring in folks that are already known to the fans here.

Another thing Oak View can do to perhaps help get fans more comfortable with the NHL product is by working w/ShoWare or Everett to schedule some preseason games this fall in the local market involving the West Coast clubs (VAN/CGY/EDM/California teams/AZ/Vegas).

Those are all things they need to be prepared for is all I am saying. Two years is not that long of a time to hit the ground running. Not a cart before the horse thing but let's be ready to go if an approval comes. Only seems smart to me.

I am not saying it is a public process by any means. But internal planning is all.

The report on HNIC or wherever it was was pure speculation on their part. Nothing to do with OVG.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Who, SD? I know about Kelly McCrimmon down in Vegas (ex-BWK coach/exec) but a Kris?
Kelly McCrimmon should probably be the entirety of the list. Just keep asking until he says yes assuming he's still our AGM once it's time to hire a GM in Seattle and he's not already given the position elsewhere.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
And I would agree, BB. He would certainly fit the mold of the type of person that I mentioned in my post above, #227. Except I don't know how responsible he was for assembling this awesome roster you guys have down there in Sin City......

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

Breaking piece of news from Daniels. Durkan is at this moment making her first "State of the City" address as the new mayor, and whether she discusses the NHL at all I do not know. But, this may provide a bit of a hint. If there's more, I'll update.

UPDATE - So here's an update - they have a live webstream if any of you care to watch:

Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan delivers State of the City

Last edited:

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Thank you, Killion. Should be a fun day on the 1st. There's commenters at SR suggesting they'll hit their goal fairly quickly.

I'm not sure I've ever lived anywhere else where I know there a ton of hockey fans from all over the country (though mostly the Northeast, Lakes states, and California). I hope it goes well.

Reactions: Killion

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

Very good commercial. And did everyone notice they used all Bob Cole calls as opposed to Doc Emrick or Jim Hughson? Me thinks they know who they're trying to attract in this ticket drive....:nod:

Fenway, do you monitor what type of local ad buys teams do with the local TV stations in a market, say the Bruins? Reason I ask is I wonder if Oak View will do a big ad buy with the local stations in the market over the next few days using this ad.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
BREAKING: Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan kicks off a campaign for NHL expansion

Comment via Tim Leiweke

Remember when we talked about the fun was about to begin, well here we go! Campaign starts tomorrow and yet we have had thousands of post on web site today. Lots of ads and a two day media blitz next week, we will not let you down Seattle. Thanks for hanging in there and fighting so hard for so long. Our love, thanks and massive respect to all at Sonics Rising!!!! Now, let’s show everyone what we are all about Seattle.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
31 Thoughts: There aren't as many 'untouchable' players as you think - Sportsnet.ca

Friedman with some possible candidates for GM
Nick Kypreos mentioned Ken Holland, John Ferguson and Bill Guerin as possibilities for the soon-to-be-open Seattle GM job.

Two more to ponder: Vegas’ success likely puts Kelly McCrimmon in the conversation, while Tim Leiweke’s guidance with the OakView Group means you should always keep an eye on his connections, and one is Los Angeles’ Mike Futa.

Might be a few other AGMs around the league that might be considered as well. (Especially if the team has gone through a rebuilding cycle successfully)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->