NHL to Seattle Volume XIV - Seattle sells 26,000 season ticket deposits in 2 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
That would also not be legal.

Eh. Need more details. Are you saying that the NHL CANT discuss expansion in secret with Houston and just announce expansion? Is there something in the NHL constitution that there must be certain steps or notifications that must happen? Even then it wouldn't be criminally illegal, unless there is a anti-trust thing I'm missing.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Eh. Need more details. Are you saying that the NHL CANT discuss expansion in secret with Houston and just announce expansion? Is there something in the NHL constitution that there must be certain steps or notifications that must happen? Even then it wouldn't be criminally illegal, unless there is a anti-trust thing I'm missing.

There was no formal process when Anaheim and Florida were granted teams. Unless the constitution has changed on this, I don't see why the league can't announce Houston in June along with Seattle...or even Quebec for that matter.

I think it's safe to day they'll just announce Seattle in a few months but still fun to think of swerves to kill the time :)

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
There was no formal process when Anaheim and Florida were granted teams. Unless the constitution has changed on this, I don't see why the league can't announce Houston in June along with Seattle...or even Quebec for that matter.

I think it's safe to day they'll just announce Seattle in a few months but still fun to think of swerves to kill the time :)

NEED MORE Confirmation from those "Insiders" that Fertitta wants a team in Houston, for 2018/19.... otherwise what existing franchise is leaving and as has already been stated Houston has not been invited to bid for an expansion franchise, that is solely Seattle, that's the only way Houston gets a franchise, is by relocation. Arizona is locked into their contract for 2018/19, so that's not an option unless AEG backs out totally from GRA.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Yea it would have anti-trust.

The NHL can't work in secret to award to give #32 to some other city when there only one group that was allowed to bid which was Seattle. IF #32 was awarded to someone else other than Seattle, Seattle would have a legal claim to sue and probably would win.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Well for one, people assume that perhaps Quebec can come in and Houston can come in. Except there is no open expansion process. There is an Expansion process for one city, and that city is Seattle.

I agree with you, but lets not forget that the league themselves ''deferred'' Quebec's expansion bid, the bid they received at the same time as Vegas bid.

My understanding is deferred means postponed for later use. In really we all know its just a polite way to say : No thanks.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I agree with you, but lets not forget that the league themselves ''deferred'' Quebec's expansion bid, the bid they received at the same time as Vegas bid.

My understanding is deferred means postponed for later use. In really we all know its just a polite way to say : No thanks.

This is actually a very good point. Quebec has already submitted their application and the NHL technically did not reject it. I would even disagree that it is a "no thanks" even in a polite way. Holding that postponement in hand like the NHL has puts Quebec in the worst kind of limbo. They could revisit them at any time if I understand the way it went down, of course having to confirm they still qualify. Certainly not the same process that Houston would have to go through, at least in my opinion.

Reactions: powerstuck

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I just don't see NHL going beyond 32 teams. Even if they do, it won't be for a while. I think the priority for them to take care of existing markets and get them settled in the long term. coyotes, flames, panthers etc.

if they were to expand again, they'll run into a problem of charging one franchise 650m and Quebec assuming its still at 500m at a lower cost. I would almost consider that scenario as anti competitive.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
From the interview, Currently, arena will be split 50/50 with leiweke owning minority shares of the NHL team.

Of course (my thought) Once NBA shows up it'll be re-split to 1/3rd each.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I just don't see NHL going beyond 32 teams. Even if they do, it won't be for a while. I think the priority for them to take care of existing markets and get them settled in the long term. coyotes, flames, panthers etc.

if they were to expand again, they'll run into a problem of charging one franchise 650m and Quebec assuming its still at 500m at a lower cost. I would almost consider that scenario as anti competitive.
I actually think that after the NHL expands to Seattle, and moves Arizona to Houston, the league will see an unprecedented era of stability. I highly doubt that Calgary will relocate given their history of profitability in a rabid Canadian market. The Hurricanes should be stable now with their new billionaire owner. The Islanders are on-track to get their own arena, and actually *own* it for once. I think the Panthers will stay put for the long-term, or perhaps eventually move into downtown Miami whenever their arena becomes decrepit.

I would be mildly concerned about Ottawa given their ownership and arena situation, especially now that there is a perfect landing spot for an NHL franchise just 480 kilometers or so away from them.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I actually think that after the NHL expands to Seattle, and moves Arizona to Houston, the league will see an unprecedented era of stability. I highly doubt that Calgary will relocate given their history of profitability in a rabid Canadian market. The Hurricanes should be stable now with their new billionaire owner. The Islanders are on-track to get their own arena, and actually *own* it for once. I think the Panthers will stay put for the long-term, or perhaps eventually move into downtown Miami whenever their arena becomes decrepit.

I would be mildly concerned about Ottawa given their ownership and arena situation, especially now that there is a perfect landing spot for an NHL franchise just 480 kilometers or so away from them.

It depends on if Ottawa's owner will sell the franchise or not. If he keeps it, there is nothing the league can really do about that.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

Inslee was in Vancouver to announce a Ultra High Speed Rail line between Seattle and Vancouver. Making the possibility of a ton more hockey fans going back and forth.

Would take 40-50 minutes, instead of current time of around 3 hours.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Inslee was in Vancouver to announce a Ultra High Speed Rail line between Seattle and Vancouver. Making the possibility of a ton more hockey fans going back and forth.

Would take 40-50 minutes, instead of current time of around 3 hours.

And who's going to pay for that ultra high speed rail?

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
And who's going to pay for that ultra high speed rail?

I think it's a state/federal/possibly provincial thing, Tommy. IIRC, it's supposed to supplant the Amtrak Cascades route and work the same as the high-speed rail that's supposed to be operating between Seattle and Portland except of course that's been shelved following that terrible crash of the first train of that new service last December over I-5 down at Nisqually.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think it's a state/federal/possibly provincial thing, Tommy. IIRC, it's supposed to supplant the Amtrak Cascades route and work the same as the high-speed rail that's supposed to be operating between Seattle and Portland except of course that's been shelved following that terrible crash of the first train of that new service last December over I-5 down at Nisqually.

if they want to use that line that was shelved due to lack of PTC then that bridge eliminated and the track straighten out.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
@AmericanDream I don't think early draft would work. First, organization would need to complete all paperwork AND make final payment to league. Second, NHL teams provide oversight and medical backup for prospects (if severely injured) which would mean skeleton crew for monitoring/directing prospect health. Third, missing out on development skills by having summer prospect camp and in season mentoring, monitoring/improving skills

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

OT, but this appears to be another sign we're getting closer to moving dirt down there at the Key....

Valve moves The International to Vancouver, B.C., as Seattle loses huge esports event

Rogers Arena in Vancouver has just landed this year's Dota 2 ESports tournament, which had been held at Key Arena in past years. I'm not a video gamer, so anyone care to clue me in on what the hell this ESports thing is? My choice of games are things such as Words with Friends and Fairway Solitaire......

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

OT, but this appears to be another sign we're getting closer to moving dirt down there at the Key....

Valve moves The International to Vancouver, B.C., as Seattle loses huge esports event

Rogers Arena in Vancouver has just landed this year's Dota 2 ESports tournament, which had been held at Key Arena in past years. I'm not a video gamer, so anyone care to clue me in on what the hell this ESports thing is? My choice of games are things such as Words with Friends and Fairway Solitaire......

Esports is Huge. The NHL just did something recently

NHL takes esports on ice with gaming tournament

ESPN covers Esports now.

and that DOTA tournament is HUGE. the guy who owns Valve is a multi-billonare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad