NHL to Seattle Volume XIII - UPDATE 12/7 NHL will accept Seattle application - Expansion fee $650 M

Status
Not open for further replies.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Thunderbirds being sold

Sort of OT, but there's a piece of news concerning the current hockey franchise in Seattle:

http://www.seattlethunderbirds.com/...team-subject-to-whl-and-city-of-kent-approval

Two brothers from Alberta who run an outfit called Silent-Aire, which manufactures data center HVAC units, have agreed to purchase the T-Birds from Russ Farwell, who will remain with the team as its GM. Didn't actually realize he was owning the team - I thought they were still owned by the Chaplin family, the auto dealers in Bellevue.

Deal is pending WHL and city of Kent approval and the WHL is scheduled to meet October 4 to grant its approval, and I'd have to guess it'll be up for discussion at the next Kent city council meeting, which I believe also will be around that time, I'll have to check.

Reactions: superdeluxe

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
You are talking about present time and configuration, needing another retool like 78-79 and the longer it goes (wtf does this mean). These are all arguments from the past totally ignoring current possibilities (OVG and its MOU). It seems your opinion is related to something other than the facts of what is going on, maybe wishful thinking.

Things may not work out in Seattle with the NHL or NBA as it relates to Key but it looks a hell of lot more promising than even six months ago, at least for the NHL.

Your arguments, if that's what they are, are beyond confusing.

no, nw, it is you that seems to want only hockey in Seattle, and nothing else, might as well shut the Collegiate programs down at Washington and Washington State by your posts

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
because there's no way the NBA IS GOING THERE, Super, at the present time, and configuration, much less Key will again need another retool, just like 1978-79, I personally don't see hockey in Seattle, the longer it goes.

It is in the MOU that the NBA has to sign off on the final build of the arena. Of course no professional sports team will go to the Key in its current configuration.

What you posted make no sense, no offense.

no, nw, it is you that seems to want only hockey in Seattle, and nothing else, might as well shut the Collegiate programs down at Washington and Washington State by your posts

What the hell are you talking about.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Thunderbirds being sold

Sort of OT, but there's a piece of news concerning the current hockey franchise in Seattle:

http://www.seattlethunderbirds.com/...team-subject-to-whl-and-city-of-kent-approval

Two brothers from Alberta who run an outfit called Silent-Aire, which manufactures data center HVAC units, have agreed to purchase the T-Birds from Russ Farwell, who will remain with the team as its GM. Didn't actually realize he was owning the team - I thought they were still owned by the Chaplin family, the auto dealers in Bellevue.

Deal is pending WHL and city of Kent approval and the WHL is scheduled to meet October 4 to grant its approval, and I'd have to guess it'll be up for discussion at the next Kent city council meeting, which I believe also will be around that time, I'll have to check.

The Leckely brothers are long time Tbirds fans and consider Seattle a 2nd home (apparently they do work for Amazon? or have sell through Amazon? or something). Anyways the description is that they are big time Hockey fans that like to have a few adult pops. Possible that we get some capital improvements.

They also own a couple of lower division hockey teams in Alberta.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
First time posting on the new boards here. They look nice by the way.

So yesterday, there was a forum featuring the two mayoral candidates, Jenny Durkan and Cary Moon, and the subject of Key Arena/Oak View came up. The first three tweets, all from KING-5's political reporter Natalie Brand, who was there covering it, are of Moon's position on the redevelopment, and the fourth one is of Durkan. My read of this is that Moon may not be fully on board with the plans.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Wally Walker doing a Moderated session on Facebook like:

This is coming up in about 10 minutes at 3:00 pm ET/12 noon PT so get on over there now if you want to participate in this. Whether there's any earth-shattering news is not known, but could be worth your time if you are a Facebook person......

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Thanks to Walker i have made up my mind. I was Neutral on the sodo arena vs Key arena and now they have made me take a stance i am 100% for key arena and against Sodo arena.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Thanks to Walker i have made up my mind. I was Neutral on the sodo arena vs Key arena and now they have made me take a stance i am 100% for key arena and against Sodo arena.

I only caught bits of it because it kept freezing up on me. What did he say that swayed you so strongly?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I only caught bits of it because it kept freezing up on me. What did he say that swayed you so strongly?

Basically it was nothing more than the same talking points. Hansen and co needs the street vacation before they can get a NHL group where as OVG had a NHL group with the group investing into the arena and they had no financial MOU framework yet at the time.

Walker also said that the NBA work at key arena as 3rd party owners to Key arena (paraphrasing it) When all all that needs to happen is the NBA group is part of the arena group.

Then there is the talk that relocation of a NHL team to Seattle while ignoring that the NHL has 31 teams and wants to have 32 teams. The whole street vacation needs to happen first is nothing more than a excuse at this point. They have no NHL group and will never have a NHL group. Game over.

OVG is willing to play the political game and Hansen and co is playing the Media game. This is why OVG will get it done and hansen won't.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Yeah. I think the Hansen group is on it"s last legs. it looked good on paper but the key arena deal is going to get done

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
With Jeremy Jacobs having his hand in the Seattle pie there is no way Seattle is not the 32nd NHL Team. it is a done deal

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Was watching actual hockey so I missed it, sorry. But from your response and the response of others over at the SR site, it appears I didn't miss much. Anyway, sounds like there's going to be a public hearing tomorrow so it'll be interesting to see how that goes.

Hansen will be there. Probably saying the same talking points over and over again with nothing new to show. The NHL crowd will be there. The NBA crowd better behave themselves and not try to undermine OVG's efforts or we could end up with nothing.

Reactions: Killion
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Well that did not work out that well for Hansen imho.

Debra Jaurez has never met with Chris Hansen before that meeting, she is the CHAIR of the Civic Arena committee. Huge oversight on Hansen's part.

Also they state that SDOT did not send over renewed recommendation due to the fact that Hansen did not respond to their questions. If this is false, Hansen MUST refute this.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Well that did not work out that well for Hansen imho.

Debra Jaurez has never met with Chris Hansen before that meeting, she is the CHAIR of the Civic Arena committee. Huge oversight on Hansen's part.

Also they state that SDOT did not send over renewed recommendation due to the fact that Hansen did not respond to their questions. If this is false, Hansen MUST refute this.

I don't see why SCC will even reconsider sodo arena plan given the lack of important information from Hansen's group. Finanical plan for NHL (who's going to own it and pay for the team) NBA (who's gonna provide the $$ for that 2billion dollar expansion fee) and of course the arena and making sure it can get actually paid for.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Of course there's nothing to be focused on right now because there's no shovels in the ground anywhere yet, and a lot of things can still happen between now and December 4. Such as an election in which certain bad actors, if they win their races, could muck this process up.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
https://www.sonicsrising.com/2017/10/12/16464744/transportation-subcommittee-live-blog

Want to FYI for all of you but for the past 90 minutes or so, the SR site's main man, Brian Robinson, has been live blogging from the first transportation subcommittee hearing regarding the transportation issues surrounding the Oak View/Key Arena proposed renovations. I have been posting comments there and there's been a lot of good information shared there thus far, so come on over if you want to chime in. (You'll need an SB Nation login to do that, those are free).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->