NHL to Seattle Volume XIII - UPDATE 12/7 NHL will accept Seattle application - Expansion fee $650 M

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think we see an NFL type set up if the NHL goes to Seattle with 8 4 team divisions:

East

Division 1: Boston, Montreal, New Jersey, Ottawa
Division 2: NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh
Division 3: Buffalo, Columbus, Detroit, Toronto
Division 4: Carolina, Florida, Tampa Bay, Washington

West

Division 1: Chicago, Minnesota, Nashville, St.Louis
Division 2: Arizona, Colorado, Dallas, Winnipeg
Division 3: Anaheim, Calgary, Edmonton, Las Vegas
Division 4: Los Angeles, San Jose, Seattle, Vancouver

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
I think we see an NFL type set up if the NHL goes to Seattle with 8 4 team divisions:

East

West

I think splitting up the Socal teams between Seattle/VAN and Calgary and Edmonton is good. Lots of snow birds from up the frigid north that would love to take some road trips.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

East

West

I think I would switch up West divisions 3 & 4 putting:

Division 3: Calgary, Edmonton, Seattle, Vancouver

Division 4: Anaheim, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Jose

Either way would work. I think I like the division setup.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
I think I would switch up West divisions 3 & 4 putting:

Division 3: Calgary, Edmonton, Seattle, Vancouver

Division 4: Anaheim, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Jose

I like the Geographical pairing. But I would think you would want to help out the snowbirds as well.

I know I would love to See a Seattle vs Las Vegas game in Vegas. How often would Division 3 play Division 4?

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I like the Geographical pairing. But I would think you would want to help out the snowbirds as well.

I know I would love to See a Seattle vs Las Vegas game in Vegas. How often would Division 3 play Division 4?

I certainly think within conference it would be enough for the snowbirds. I like the rivalry aspect of the breakdown. But just getting a team would be enough for me. The other setup would be great as well.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Relistening to the Podcast with Leiweke. One of the things that stuck out to me was the fact that he told Bonderman/Bruckheimer that Seattle was a better opportunity than Vegas. Unless I misheard. That tells me that Seattle has been in Leiweke's mind for at least 5-6 years.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
However, assuming that the Coyotes stay, and the Flames stay, and Seattle gets a team, I would expect an alignment like this:

Pacific: VAN, SEA, SJS, LAK, ANA, ARI, VGK, COL
Central: CGY, EDM, WPG, MIN, CHI, STL, DAL, NAS

Such an arrangement does the following:

Keeps VGK and ARI together, which satisfies both of those teams
Puts SEA with VAN, which is what both cities would want
Keeps CGY and EDM together
Keeps all Divisions spanning only 2 time zones

I can't see another way to do that.

I understand your logic and reasoning and I don't disagree. In fact, I think I might like that more than my own thought process which was swapping EDM/CAL with COL/VGK.

I think that because number of division matchups among EDM/CAL vs VAN, or CAL/EDM vs WIN would be the same total for the Canadian TV deal, the issue becomes "Who needs it more, and what makes the most money?"
8 p.m. ET starts = more national TV money.
Winnipeg as a smaller market, could use the high demand games more than VAN. Although neither has any problem selling out constantly.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Relistening to the Podcast with Leiweke. One of the things that stuck out to me was the fact that he told Bonderman/Bruckheimer that Seattle was a better opportunity than Vegas. Unless I misheard. That tells me that Seattle has been in Leiweke's mind for at least 5-6 years.

I think Seattle has been on the minds of a lot of people for a while.

Foley down here in Las Vegas has real connections to Seattle, and I'm fairly sure he's still involved in the UW Law School. With his age, I'm guessing he just needed to jump on whatever was going to come first, but he was probably a perfect person for a Seattle team if there was an arena available.

Bruckheimer was connected to Las Vegas for a long while, and I think he and Foley just switched spots. Foley makes a lot more sense in Seattle than Las Vegas.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Foley makes a lot more sense in Seattle than Las Vegas.

Yeah, or San Jose... however.... some marvelous "pouring opportunities" in Vegas, the World wearing a path through the city so thats good for his brands.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
i think it would make sense if arizona relocated to seattle and houston/milwaukee/kc got an expansion team

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
i think it would make sense if arizona relocated to seattle and houston/milwaukee/kc got an expansion team

Where would the team play though. If Coyotes have to move by 18-19 season, there wouldn't be any place for them to play in Seattle.

More likely Seattle expansion houston Coyotes.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
NJ is literally located between PHI, NYR, NYI.

While the suggestion of NJ in a division like that is certainly stupid, it puts the NBC darlings together in the same division so, while I do not see it actually happening I cannot say I would be surprised if it did.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
NJ is literally located between PHI, NYR, NYI.

While the suggestion of NJ in a division like that is certainly stupid, it puts the NBC darlings together in the same division so, while I do not see it actually happening I cannot say I would be surprised if it did.

For that alignment, I'd do this for the East:

Division 1: Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa
Division 2: NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Philadelphia, New Jersey
Division 3: Buffalo, Columbus, Detroit, Pittsburgh

In any event, changing the alignment of the league (even one team) requires a 3/4 vote of the BOG, so any selected alignment is bound to have some compromises.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
1 league with 2 regions. Each region has 2 conferences. Each conference has 2 divisions.

2 games against 24 out of conference opponents (48)
6 games against 3 division opponents (18)
4 games against 4 non-division conference opponents (16)

48+16+18 = 82 games, balanced with home and away not fluctuating each year.

West Region
Pacific Conference
Northwestern Division (SEA, VAN, CGY, EDM)
Southwestern Division (LA, ANA, SJ, LV)

Central Conference
Southern Division (ARZ, DAL, COL, NSH)
Midwestern Division (WPG, MIN, CHI, STL)

East Region
Atlantic Conference
[needs a name] Division (BOS, MTL, TB, FLA)
Great Lakes Division (TOR, OTT, DET, BUF)

Metro Conference
[needs a name] Division (CBJ, PIT, PHI, CAR)
[needs a name] Division (NYR, NYI, NJ, WSH)

Top team in each division gets home ice in the first round. The best remaining team in the conference gets the 3rd spot. The final spot is up for grabs in a wild card game between the 4th and 5th team in the conference. 20 out of 32 teams (62.5%) making the postseason is closer to the ratios of the "classic" eras like the Original 6 (4 out of 6, 66.7%) or the 1980s (16 out of 21, 76%) without making the playoffs way too long or rewarding too many bad teams. For reference, the current 16 out of 31 (51.6%) set up is the 2nd lowest since the Original 6 era began. Only 1972-73 and 1973-74 season have been lower (8 out of 16 teams).

Some alternate divisions depending on relocation or preference

Arizona in the Pacific
SEA, VAN, SJ, COL
ANA, LA, LV, ARZ

EDM, CGY, WPG, MIN
CHI, STL, DAL, NSH

Carolina to QC
QC, MTL, BOS, OTT
TOR, BUF, DET, CBJ

NYR, NYI, NJ, WSH
PIT, PHI, TB, FLA

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

East

West

I do see the NHL splitting Vancouver from Edmonton and calgary. Ditto LA and ducks

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
WHERE was it ever stated that SEA gets a hockey club, wasn't that a primary reason there was no bid at all?

personally, the longer Key Arena remains the sole option, I do see Seattle landing a G-League affiliate aligned with Portland, with the duoply that Paul Allen has in both markets.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
WHERE was it ever stated that SEA gets a hockey club, wasn't that a primary reason there was no bid at all?

personally, the longer Key Arena remains the sole option, I do see Seattle landing a G-League affiliate aligned with Portland, with the duoply that Paul Allen has in both markets.

There was no Bid, because there was no NHL agreement at SODO.

You think Leiweke is going to bring in Bonderman and Bruckheimer so they can attract a G League?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

You think Leiweke is going to bring in Bonderman and Bruckheimer so they can attract a G League?

because there's no way the NBA IS GOING THERE, Super, at the present time, and configuration, much less Key will again need another retool, just like 1978-79, I personally don't see hockey in Seattle, the longer it goes.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Nor is OVG spending over 600m for a renovation just to attract a minor league team.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
because there's no way the NBA IS GOING THERE, Super, at the present time, and configuration, much less Key will again need another retool, just like 1978-79, I personally don't see hockey in Seattle, the longer it goes.

You are talking about present time and configuration, needing another retool like 78-79 and the longer it goes (wtf does this mean). These are all arguments from the past totally ignoring current possibilities (OVG and its MOU). It seems your opinion is related to something other than the facts of what is going on, maybe wishful thinking.

Things may not work out in Seattle with the NHL or NBA as it relates to Key but it looks a hell of lot more promising than even six months ago, at least for the NHL.

Your arguments, if that's what they are, are beyond confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad