NHL to Seattle Volume XIII - UPDATE 12/7 NHL will accept Seattle application - Expansion fee $650 M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I wonder how the expansion draft would play out. Some teams might think VGK got too good of a deal, given how they managed to stockpile a whole lotta draft picks while fielding a competitive team.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I wonder how the expansion draft would play out. Some teams might think VGK got too good of a deal, given how they managed to stockpile a whole lotta draft picks while fielding a competitive team.
Same deal. Expansion team being good ASAP is good long run for the league.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Then explain who else is going to pay 650m for expansion for #32? What the NHL may consider doing is not what is actually going to happen. We have no building now to house a team if one moves. And it would be stupid to have 2 or more lame duck season then move a team. Again what happens if Seattle's arena is delayed that's another year added to the 2 lame duck seasons.

Vegas already had an arena (I believe) to temporary house a team if they had a relocation instead of expansion.

The NHL is leaving themselves an out in case its a relocation instead of expansion (doubtful) or a team isn't granted at all if things go south.

I would like to make it clear that I am not arguing with you. I am just trying to make sense of what that says. I think that the reading between the lines tells us that Bettman is threatening an AZ move, even though he has to keep plausible deniability.

In that event, there may not be a team 31. I just don't know. I'm just trying to understand Dreger. That's all.

Reactions: Llama19

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I would like to make it clear that I am not arguing with you. I am just trying to make sense of what that says. I think that the reading between the lines tells us that Bettman is threatening an AZ move, even though he has to keep plausible deniability.

In that event, there may not be a team 31. I just don't know. I'm just trying to understand Dreger. That's all.

They already have an location for the coyotes if they need to move and that's houston.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
A much more aggressive timing than I expected. Was thinking the expansion process would have started in the fall.

I'm guessing the season ticket drive will happen in February same as Vegas.

Could we them awarding the team offically in the June meetings? That will give them 2 1/2 years to get ready.

2020/21 season, just under 3 years away....where did John Shannon get 4 years from?

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
More:

Take a look at your alignment and look at it as 4 divisions (or, as I think will happen: Conferences). What do you see?

Pacific: All PTZ teams, PLUS Colorado
Central: All CTZ teams, PLUS Calgary and Edmonton

Never mind the east for now. What you have written down is one of the common Western re-alignments for a Seattle expansion. There would really be NO need to break that further. In fact, I submit the idea that breaking it into 4x4 in the West is WORSE. It's certainly worse for Minnesota. Only American franchise in that division. I think your 4x4 in East and West is a non-starter. There has literally been NO communication from the league indicating any desire to do that. Meanwhile, there has been lots of communication from the league with the idea of 4 8-team conferences.

Assuming Arizona stays, you either get what you have posted, or you get Arizona and Colorado trading places with Calgary and Edmonton.

But, like others have said, it's 3 years out at least. Arizona might relocate. Calgary is at an impasse with their city government. Who knows what might happen? Hey, the easiest thing might happen: AX>HOU, in which case the alignment issue is trivial.
I would rather the 8pm pacific time zone start than the 6pm central time zone start playing divisional opponents. Also I think we should be with van, and by extension Seattle, la, Anaheim, sj, lv and the coyotes. Lots of Oilers fans in Vancouver, and many who would travel to Seattle. Love seeing the kings, ducks and sharks as well and think we mutually benefit each other.

I don't think the Oilers and flames should be in a division with the ctz teams.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I was hoping a team would relocate there instead of expand, I feel like Quebec deserves the expansion team here.

But all that aside, congrats Seattle, really happy for you guys.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I was hoping a team would relocate there instead of expand, I feel like Quebec deserves the expansion team here.

But all that aside, congrats Seattle, really happy for you guys.

Besides Alignment issue, quebec doesn't really provide anything new to the league where as Seattle would.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Yea, Quebec not having a team is clearly all Gary Bettman's fault.

Lets completely ignore facts.

And also ignore what Bettman's actually job is. Its in my opinion to do what's best interest in the league to where they can grow the league and Seattle is the last major region (pacific north west in general) that they have not tapped yet. It's not the comissioner's job to appease people its his job to appease his boss' which are 31 owners.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
And also ignore what Bettman's actually job is. Its in my opinion to do what's best interest in the league to where they can grow the league and Seattle is the last major region (pacific north west in general) that they have not tapped yet. It's not the comissioner's job to appease people its his job to appease his boss' which are 31 owners.

They can grow the league in QC too. Also can grow the game. QC would also be a top revenue team.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Explain the facts why QC is being denied a team. Apparently they were willing to pony up half a billion dollars.

Well I don't know why but to pretend Gary Bettman is the only reason, if at all, why they don't have a team is ridiculous.

My guess to be frank, is lack of potential corporate support. From what ir ead QC barely has any major corporations.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
They can grow the league in QC too. Also can grow the game. QC would also be a top revenue team.

Not as much as a team in Seattle can. No market that doesn't have a team can even match what Seattle actually provides (hint 5 states) to the NHL growth wise. People in Quebec are already are fans and already the league. It would be nice for quebec at some point to get their team back but for people to suggest Quebec should have gotten it instead of Seattle completely ignores the whole reason why the league wants Seattle.

People waited a very very long time to get a NHL team since the first attempt (1974) to put a team in Seattle. And things have finally lined up for that to happen.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I feel like I should be pissed about that as a Quebec City guy, but I do not care anymore. The ship has sailed. Gary can rot in hell.

Congrats Seattle people. I hope you will enjoy your new team.

You should not be pissed off, who cares if the NHL is not coming, you will be paying a shit ton of money to watch millionaires play ice hockey. That is a good waste of money(I have done this in Calgary and it is not worth it) use that money, towards your family, your house, for savings and a million other things, instead of giving it to Billionaires and millionaires.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
My 2¢, with Seattle

Pacific Division: Anaheim, Arizona, Colorado, Los Angeles, San Jose, Seattle, Vancouver, Vegas
Central Division: Calgary, Chicago, Dallas, Edmonton, Minnesota, Nashville, St Louis, Winnipeg

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Perhaps, we're overlooking the most obvios reason why Quebec was not invited to apply.....they already have an active application.

Even if they were not going to expand there, they still accepted an application to vet them and have them ready if needed in short notice.

With that in mind, am I only the only one surprised that Houston wasn't invited to apply either?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
My 2¢, with Seattle

Pacific Division: Anaheim, Arizona, Colorado, Los Angeles, San Jose, Seattle, Vancouver, Vegas
Central Division: Calgary, Chicago, Dallas, Edmonton, Minnesota, Nashville, St Louis, Winnipeg

Doesn't that increase travel costs for Calgary and Edmonton?

Perhaps, we're overlooking the most obvios reason why Quebec was not invited to apply.....they already have an active application.

Even if they were not going to expand there, they still accepted an application to vet them and have them ready if needed in short notice.

With that in mind, am I only the only one surprised that Houston wasn't invited to apply either?

I suspect that during the talks between the NHL and Houston that the 650m price tag was just too much and the fact that they already have an arena gives them a market to move a team to if needed.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

Let's be real, NHL is only looking at Houston as a relocation site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->