NHL to Seattle Volume XIII - UPDATE 12/7 NHL will accept Seattle application - Expansion fee $650 M

Discussion in 'The Business of Hockey' started by tony d, Sep 21, 2017.

1. TheLegend

TheLegend Megathread Gadfly

Thanks MNN....

I know what your stance is on the Yotes but I appreciate the objectivity. For a moment there I was going to ask Tommy when I should order the moving trucks. ;)

Coyotes currently have a rivalry with the CA teams (and maybe Vegas in the near future). To move them into a CTZ division wouldn’t be the same (except Chicago because Yotes fans absolutely hate the Chicago bandwagon that lives in the valley :laugh:).

Keeping them in the PTZ and adding Colorado wouldn’t be bad since Denver is the same distance to PHX as SoCal is.

2. gstommylee

gstommylee Registered User

In terms geographical location it doesn't make sense for Colorado they are more closer to the other central teams than Edmonton and Calgary and like i said the Alberta teams may actually prefer to be more closer to their divisional rivals. If the NHL didn't give a rip about alignment on where teams play in which division, Quebec would have gotten a team.

Oilers Propagandist likes this.
  3. TheLegend

It’s more like if the players union didn’t give one, Tommy. You forget the NHLPA vetoed a realignment proposed by the owners not too many years ago.

Denver is a 1:15 hop over the Rockies to PHX and part of the year they share the same time zone. Vegas has the same flight time as PHX. SoCal is just another hour flight time.

Those cities are all closer than the Alberta twins are. San Jose is the same. The only stretch for them would be Vancouver.

4. MoreOrr

MoreOrr B4

Well there you have it then. Which scenario would get more resistance: switching Calgary and Edmonton to the Central in exchange for Colorado to the Pacific, or... trying to find some way to split the East into 4-team Divisions ??

And I guess you're probably correct, the second option would probably be almost impossible for those Eastern teams to come to any kind of an agreement on.

5. BKIslandersFan

BKIslandersFan Registered User

I wonder if Thunderbirds can survive once NHL arrives.

6. TheLegend

Bettman just quoted that Seattle will be given permission to apply for expansion. Will allow ticket drive to commence shortly. Price tag will be $650 million.

7. gstommylee

I think the thunderbirds are going to be fine. There is a huge difference in terms of cost of a ticket. A NHL team will help grow the sport and all other teams in the state will benefit.

8. nucks88

nucks88 Registered User

Awesome news! Cascadia Forever! :thumbu:

9. Warden of the North

Warden of the North The Matthews Show

This seems like its already a done deal.

Congrats Seattle area fans

10. MNNumbers

MNNumbers Registered User

Yes, and besides which, you have placed the wrong choice. The choices are:

1- Slot Seattle into the Pacific and move AZ to the Central, KEEPING 8-TEAM DIVISIONS
    2- Slot Seattle into the Pacific and move Colorado to the Pacific, moving CGY/EDM to the Central, KEEPING 8-TEAM DIVISIONS
    or,
    3- Your own fantasy about 4-team divisions, which inconveniences all of the east, PLUS makes life Hell for Minnesota, and doesn't really give any of the California/SW teams any great benefits.

Answer: The owners will have to fight over 1 and 2, but they won't think about 3 along with fighting about how to split the west.

And 2nd answer: Who knows what will happen in the mean time? These are possible:
    1- Edwards gets fed up and sells the Flames, because Calgary won't give him what he wants. In that case, Seattle gets a relo instead of an expansion (see Bettman's comments today about that, without mentioning CGY).
    2- AZ finally moves, and Bettman gets his Xmas present, because they move to Houston.
    3- AZ has to move, but Fertitta doesn't want to pay through his nose for a team, so AZ has to move to SEA.

11. Ernie

Ernie Registered User

I dunno about that. Seattle has two WHL teams in the region already. Vancouver, with similar demographics, can barely support one.

12. gstommylee

Seattle is getting an expansion team cause building won't be ready no sooner than 20-21 season. So lets drop the idea of relocation to Seattle.

13. gstommylee

Prices are much different than in Vancouver. I don't see it being a problem. Having the two WHL teams allow families who can't afford NHL tickets can go to watch a hockey match.

14. Daximus

Daximus Aces Charles Sponsor

Operator
    Congrats Seattle fans! Now just move Arizona to Houston, they play in the central and all we need to do is wait for someone to move to Quebec doesn't seem like the NHL wants any of their teams to move though.

15. gstommylee

They aren't going to say anything in regards to relocating a team until it happens.

16. Daximus

Daximus Aces Charles Sponsor

Operator
    Carolina would have been a lay up. But it seems like all parties involved are keen on keeping the team there at all costs. Just like they have been with the Yotes. The NHL has zero interest in losing another American team to a Canadian market and will probably only ever do it as a last resort. Sucks for Nords fans. They likely won't ever have another team.

17. Dirty Old Man

Dirty Old Man And yet, we remain

$650 M!

18. MNNumbers

While I agree that there won't be a team there until the 20-21 season (earliest), I would not dismiss the possibility that Seattle is the only viable market in the west, because Fertitta won't pay the price. In which case, the Yotes stay until the Key remodel is done, and THEN move.

Basically, I think it's like this:
    Seattle is guaranteed a team. 20-21 may be too ambitious, we'll find that out soon. 21-22 may be a possibility.

Whether it's a new team, or the Yotes coming at that time, we don't know yet. And, we can't for awhile.

And, interestingly, while even Bettman suggested relo today, I don't know how you hide that, because the Bonderman group is going to want to create an infrastructure, and that can't just disappear if the Yotes come. It's just fascinating watching.

And the best is: No public money for Key. Yay!!!

19. gstommylee

The NHL is not going to do the here have expansion but we are going to take it away the give you a relocation instead. That is not going to happen. There could be delays in construction that pushes the team back another year. And no other group out there for another market is gonna pay 650m for a team. So lets move on.

20. BKIslandersFan

two? Are you counting Spokane?

21. gstommylee

Spokane is on the other side of the state. the silvertips are still considered in the Seattle metro territory

22. MNNumbers

Kindly explain what Dreger means by this, then...

23. KGL

KGL Auston 3:16

Welcome to the NHL, Seattle.

24. gstommylee

Then explain who else is going to pay 650m for expansion for #32? What the NHL may consider doing is not what is actually going to happen. We have no building now to house a team if one moves. And it would be stupid to have 2 or more lame duck season then move a team. Again what happens if Seattle's arena is delayed that's another year added to the 2 lame duck seasons.

Vegas already had an arena (I believe) to temporary house a team if they had a relocation instead of expansion.

The NHL is leaving themselves an out in case its a relocation instead of expansion (doubtful) or a team isn't granted at all if things go south.

25. BKIslandersFan

In terms of alignment, how about moving Flames and Oilers to Central and moving Dallas or Colorado to Pacific?

Canucks would lose traditional rivals but gain a new one.