NHL to Seattle Volume XIII - UPDATE 12/7 NHL will accept Seattle application - Expansion fee $650 M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole4Christmas

Nov 19, 2017
Imagine it's the Canes that move to Seattle? If so I can totally see them resurrecting the Whalers nickname from the franchise's past. Would work great with the blue and green color scheme everyone assumes this team is gonna adopt.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Imagine it's the Canes that move to Seattle? If so I can totally see them resurrecting the Whalers nickname from the franchise's past. Would work great with the blue and green color scheme everyone assumes this team is gonna adopt.

And that would open up expansion for Quebec!! :sarcasm:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think we see an NFL type set up if the NHL goes to Seattle with 8 4 team divisions:

East

Division 1: Boston, Montreal, New Jersey, Ottawa
Division 2: NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh
Division 3: Buffalo, Columbus, Detroit, Toronto
Division 4: Carolina, Florida, Tampa Bay, Washington

West

Division 1: Chicago, Minnesota, Nashville, St.Louis
Division 2: Arizona, Colorado, Dallas, Winnipeg
Division 3: Anaheim, Calgary, Edmonton, Las Vegas
Division 4: Los Angeles, San Jose, Seattle, Vancouver

I don't know that would happen because we play MUCH more games than the NFL.

But if it were, it'd look like this.

Northeast: Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Detroit
Atlantic: Rangers, New Jersey, Boston, Buffalo
Metro: Islanders, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Columbus
Southeast: Tampa Bay, Florida, Carolina, Washington

Northwest: Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, Vegas
Central: Winnipeg, Chicago, Minnesota, Nashville
Pacific: Los Angeles, San Jose, Seattle, Vancouver
Southwest: Anaheim, Arizona, Dallas, St. Louis

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
I don't know that would happen because we play MUCH more games than the NFL.

But if it were, it'd look like this.

Northeast: Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Detroit
Atlantic: Rangers, New Jersey, Boston, Buffalo
Metro: Islanders, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Columbus
Southeast: Tampa Bay, Florida, Carolina, Washington

Northwest: Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, Vegas
Central: Winnipeg, Chicago, Minnesota, Nashville
Pacific: Los Angeles, San Jose, Seattle, Vancouver
Southwest: Anaheim, Arizona, Dallas, St. Louis

Your divisions are bad.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

One issue their owner won't sell to someone who will move the team. Even so where is team going to play for the 18-19 and 19-20 season?

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
More from the Daniels Canadian media tour....

On with Rob Kerr on Sportsnet 960 the FAN in CGY RIGHT NOW.......

Daniels BTW in addition to the two Vancouver interviews and the one I mentioned earlier up in Edmonton has also made an appearance this afternoon on Prime Time Sports (Bob McCown's show) in Toronto. He interviewed there with Rob Faulds and Damien Cox. You folks in Winnipeg will probably hear from him tomorrow or Thursday........

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Does the private funding mechanism user any of the City of Seattle's bonding capability?

What are the arrangements for said funding?

Thanks

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Does the private funding mechanism user any of the City of Seattle's bonding capability?

What are the arrangements for said funding?

Thanks

No it doesn't use any of the city's dept capacity. That was a non starter to begin with.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Is this project being funded exclusively by private money? If it is then it's great news for cities being threatened and bullied by the league ("Give us free arenas or lose your team"). Here in Calgary, for example, I hope the city hears about this and starts pushing the Flames to pay for their own arena.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Is this project being funded exclusively by private money? If it is then it's great news for cities being threatened and bullied by the league ("Give us free arenas or lose your team"). Here in Calgary, for example, I hope the city hears about this and starts pushing the Flames to pay for their own arena.

Well Seattle is an unquie case. There is a city law that says that the city can only provide public funds if it shows a return on investment. Sodo arena got by that law by using debt capacity until it the street vacation got denied then it went 100% private but lost to OVG. AEG tried to submit a proposal for Key arena and wasn't accepted due to it asking 250 in debt capacity. OVG is 100% privately funded.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Well Seattle is an unquie case. There is a city law that says that the city can only provide public funds if it shows a return on investment. Sodo arena got by that law by using debt capacity until it the street vacation got denied then it went 100% private but lost to OVG. AEG tried to submit a proposal for Key arena and wasn't accepted due to it asking 250 in debt capacity. OVG is 100% privately funded.
This is really helpful - thanks.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

I think Chris Daniels is going a great job informing Calgarians that Seattle will have an arena ready in a few years to take their Flames when they refuse to publicly fund a new arena in Calgary.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I think Chris Daniels is going a great job informing Calgarians that Seattle will have an arena ready in a few years to take their Flames when they refuse to publicly fund a new arena in Calgary.
If the Flames keep demanding tax dollars to fund a new arena then Seattle can have them. If a group can privately fund a $600 project then Flames' owners can do the same here.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
If the Flames keep demanding tax dollars to fund a new arena then Seattle can have them. If a group can privately fund a $600 project then Flames' owners can do the same here.

Of course they can. But do they need to ?

The guy owning Flames can either move them himself to Seattle and make as much money as he's making in Calgary or he can sell them for a hefty profit to another guy in Seattle or Houston.

I don't want to see the Flames move because I know how much it sucks (I lost the Nordiques) but you gotta realize that Seattle and Houston opening their doors changes the perspective of options for the Flames and suddenly the teams owners have the upper hand.

Remember when Katz went to Seattle to see things while he was waiting for a positive answer from Edmonton. You may say it did nothing, but I would say someone on city side probably did shit their pants just at the thought of losing the team.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I don't want to see the Flames move because I know how much it sucks (I lost the Nordiques) but you gotta realize that Seattle and Houston opening their doors changes the perspective of options for the Flames and suddenly the teams owners have the upper hand.
I already realize this and really don't care. If the Flames don't want to build and pay for a new arena they can do whatever or go anywhere they want. It may suck but that's the way the league has set things up. Screwing taxpayers seems to be part of the NHL's plan and so be it.

P.S. I used to live in Quebec City and feel your pain. I also think the way the league is treating the city is unconscionable and horrific. That should be a lesson for people who think the league is anything but a whiny group of greedheads who don't give a crap about the fans.

Reactions: Killion

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Remember when Katz went to Seattle to see things while he was waiting for a positive answer from Edmonton. You may say it did nothing, but I would say someone on city side probably did **** their pants just at the thought of losing the team.

But then again, of course, Katz and Co., after getting outed by local Seattle media, had to go back to Edmonton with their head between their legs and having to apologize with that full-page ad in the local paper.

Mike, I get your argument and I'm sure the majority of folks in Calgary probably are of the same ilk. That said, though, the building up there I think is approaching the end of its serviceable life and did suffer serious damage in the floods. So really, this is a conversation that frankly your region was probably going to have to have in another 5-10 years anyway with or without the Flames being involved in it.

Off my soapbox, Bob McKenzie now has a big story up on TSN:

It’s Seattle’s time - Article - TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad