NHL Stirs up more on Day of Meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiavsfan

This coming from the guy who in another thread said he didn't need facts to back up any of his claims. The NHL is now using their facts...and using it against the gestapo PA

And don't forget these wonderful "sources..." Probably the same ones that said the NHLPA would be bringing a proposal when they will NOT. The same sources that outlined the proposal they would bring (got it from Eklund). THis article could be crap...so wait and see before you piss all over it

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
chiavsfan said:
This coming from the guy who in another thread said he didn't need facts to back up any of his claims. The NHL is now using their facts...and using it against the gestapo PA

And don't forget these wonderful "sources..." Probably the same ones that said the NHLPA would be bringing a proposal when they will NOT. The same sources that outlined the proposal they would bring (got it from Eklund). THis article could be crap...so wait and see before you piss all over it

1) Take a pill or something

2) Relax

3) Hard facts wasnt the point/nor needed of my previous posts..the point was attendence would be low with replacment players and high prices.

4) Sportsnet is not a reliable source? (next time try clicking the link)

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
NHL file more charges against the NHLPA.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20050404_121456_912

They couldnt wait another 24 hours could they...had it all planned it out they would do it on the day of the meeting. The NHL is not interested at all in getting an agreement with the NHLPA. :shakehead

Note - I am not saying the NHL shouldnt file these charges...they SHOULD...but the timing is horrible.

I think the NHL is trying to make a point that the NHLPA leadership is leading the players astray. They are making that point pretty clearly to me. I don't think this is a shot at the rank & file members, but rather the heavy handed leadership group that was threatening actions that are not allowed.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
chiavsfan said:
I did click the link...It's all from these unnamed Sources. I don't believe unnamed sources anymore, until I see their names by it

I agree it's been a bit frustrating not knowing what's true or not, but every source is always going to be an unnamed source when it comes to speculation on what's to come from either of these parties. Nobody can risk being alienated by releasing something that your party doesn't want the public to know about at that time

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
This line is also in the story:

Sources within the union have made it known a counter proposal should not be expected. However, executives on the NHL side are hearing rumblings of a players' presentation armed with a stiffer luxury tax system.

Hard to tell what to believe at this point... proposal vs. no proposal, rumored proposal vs. something completely different like this, etc.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
ColoradoHockeyFan said:

Sources within the union have made it known a counter proposal should not be expected. However, executives on the NHL side are hearing rumblings of a players' presentation armed with a stiffer luxury tax system.

Hard to tell what to believe at this point... proposal vs. no proposal, rumored proposal vs. something completely different like this, etc.

if they're gonna bring a stiffer tax...whats the point? we all know it'll just be rejected

what part of Salary Cap doesn't the PA get??

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
ColoradoHockeyFan said:

Wouldn't this be a step back from accepting a Cap, unless they are talking about a blending of a hard cap and luxury taxes. If this is even reliable at all ..............

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Jaded-Fan said:
Wouldn't this be a step back from accepting a Cap, unless they are talking about a blending of a hard cap and luxury taxes. If this is even reliable at all ..............
Wouldn't an NHL proposal with a lower Hard Cap and one with Linkage included again also fall under the same category as you have mentioned above ???

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
This is exactly why I went from strong owner supporter to moderate.

These buffoons have no idea what negotiation is all about. They have no idea what building a partnership is about.

You want to grow your sport with guys that are going to begrudge every dime that goes into league coffers, and the fact that every step of the way you just wanted to grind them into the ground.

For the NHL, in this, there is no partnership, just victory.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
The players wanted no part of a partnership (which would be the dreaded "linkage"), so I am not suprised the Owners are going total hardball now. This dispute needs to get resolved, and its not going to get resolved if both sides don't play their cards correctly.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
For much of last week, it was reported that the NHL had tried to settle this through correspondence. This shouldn't concern the NHLPA if they have done nothing wrong. Therefore, it should not affect the meeting today significantly unless the NHLPA brought it on themselves by failing to address the issue in a satisfactory manner with the NHL to calm their concerns with this supposed policy. And if the NHLPA did that, then I have little sympathy for them.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
FLYLine4LIFE said:
4) Sportsnet is not a reliable source?

Not in my mind. They've been terrible throughout this whole thing. They report rumour and innuendo, and couch it in terms to make it seem more authentic, they use misleading headlines, such as today's "Second Charge Coming", when in fact it's only supposition.

I won't even read them or watch them any more.

And their web page sucks.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
chiavsfan said:
I did click the link...It's all from these unnamed Sources. I don't believe unnamed sources anymore, until I see their names by it

Could some moderator please tell me why it is okay for us to post SportsNet claims when they are using unnamed souces while a blog like Eklund is outlawed because he is using unnamed sources??? I don't get your logic here at HF on this issue.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Peter said:
Could some moderator please tell me why it is okay for us to post SportsNet claims when they are using unnamed souces while a blog like Eklund is outlawed because he is using unnamed sources??? I don't get your logic here at HF on this issue.

Because Sportsnet has professional credentials...rather than...some pimply, overweight teenager in his mother's basement making things up off the cuff to draw traffic to his site that has none?

hockeymistress

Oct 9, 2004
nomorekids said:
Because Sportsnet has professional credentials...rather than...some pimply, overweight teenager in his mother's basement making things up off the cuff to draw traffic to his site that has none?

It's official now, reported on TSN.

H.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The Messenger said:
Wouldn't an NHL proposal with a lower Hard Cap and one with Linkage included again also fall under the same category as you have mentioned above ???

The NHL warned that the offers would only be lower in response to revenues going down as the lockout continued. I do not see the analogy with the players lessening their offer as revenues dry up more and more. Quite the opposite.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Peter said:
Sportsnet is a reputable member of the media and Eklund is not.

For God sakes, the guy doesn't even post with his real name. Tell me, if you can't use your real name, how reputable can you be?

This was an internal discussion by the moderators and admin of HF. We do not allow links to other messageboards as something that would be considered as a reputable news site, and a blog is much like a messageboard, but only one poster. There is nothing therein that resembles a newsworthy, or credible organization, but yet just an individual who (again, not using their real name) continuously posts information on a subject.(And let's not even begin to discuss the accuracy of these blog sites :sarcasm: )

This shouldn't be tough to understand....

mooseOAK*

slats432 said:

These buffoons have no idea what negotiation is all about. They have no idea what building a partnership is about.

You want to grow your sport with guys that are going to begrudge every dime that goes into league coffers, and the fact that every step of the way you just wanted to grind them into the ground.

The PA has never once said they wanted a partnership while Bettman at least has. From the players perspective they don't want a partnership because that would result in them accepting the bad with the good and they really couldn't care less if the owners make a profit or not, they seem to prefer the not.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
nomorekids said:

:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
slats432 said:
For God sakes, the guy doesn't even post with his real name. Tell me, if you can't use your real name, how reputable can you be?

This shouldn't be tough to understand....

Oh I see.....so your real name is slats432??? No?! *shock* *shudder*
Then what ever you post must not be reputable.

That shouldn't be too tough for you to understand.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
slats432 said:

The NHL wants victory this time since the PA had 10 years of victory last time...if the PA were to remove Bob Goodenow, therin lies what the league wants, then everyone could move forward...it is Goodenow gone that would be the owners victory...then the business would take care of itself with Deadline man gone...and while their at it, make Gary dissappear too...

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
slats432 said:

As with the NHLPA
"The union wants no part of linkage, not wanting to tie players' salaries to a business that has suffered immeasurable damage with an entire season cancelled."

Revenues have dropped through the floor yet they want no part of rebuilding a successful league.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Jaded-Fan said:
The NHL warned that the offers would only be lower in response to revenues going down as the lockout continued. I do not see the analogy with the players lessening their offer as revenues dry up more and more. Quite the opposite.
Because a CBA is a long term thing .... What goes down may also come back up again ..

If neither side expects Revenues to return then why bother at all ??

What will league Revenues be like in 2 years or 4 years from now ??.

Why is a possible short term Revenue drop a basis for negotiation and CBA .. Unless the NHL is Clairvoyant and can read the tea leaves NO ONE knows what TRUE damage this lockout has done to the Industry ..

Both sides are equally guilty for this mess and neither side has presented an offer that has been acceptable to the other side and thus no deal yet.

So why are the Players only to blame for the Revenue drop .. Owners rightfully need to take a similar hit, they are after all in control as they say when the Lockout ends and Hockey returns its their buildings and they are currently locking out players and fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad