NHL still isn't must-see tv for Americans

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
If someone can find the real link to this story it would be great since fox sports doesn't load for me. Never the less I got it from here

The NHL needs to stop getting bashed. It is ruining the league's image even more.

Brad*

I fail to see how this is "bashing." I think it would be more accurately called "stating the obvious."

Staalweiser

Apr 3, 2005
Aus.
Their loss. I'm neither American nor Canadian, and I try to watch NFL or Baseball and am almost bored to tears. Problem is, is that they're brought up with Football and Baseball, so why would they watch hockey? After all, it's not American - and if it's not American, most don't care.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
if basketball can sell on tv, then hockey can sell

mlb and nfl are american pastime behemoths so theres no point comparing

but cummon, the nba isnt fun to watch at all. its largely being filled with non-americans and has struggled its fair bit as well.

if the NBA can be a top sport, then so can hockey

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
if basketball can sell on tv, then hockey can sell

mlb and nfl are american pastime behemoths so theres no point comparing

but cummon, the nba isnt fun to watch at all. its largely being filled with non-americans and has struggled its fair bit as well.

if the NBA can be a top sport, then so can hockey

I don't know why it always has to be about the NBA. The NBA gets trashed all the time in the US media, but the thing is there are so many people who play basketball because it's so universal that there is interest. Is it NFL/MLB interest no, but it isn't as bad as say what the NHL is doing.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Their loss. I'm neither American nor Canadian, and I try to watch NFL or Baseball and am almost bored to tears. Problem is, is that they're brought up with Football and Baseball, so why would they watch hockey? After all, it's not American - and if it's not American, most don't care.
Hooray for sweeping generalizations from people who live nowhere near the US! :handclap:

Tokyo Bucks

Jul 27, 2005
tokyo
Haha. The article reads like a variation on the cliched "Americans can care less about soccer" columns that show up every four years before the World Cup :P

ArchieIsGod

Mar 2, 2004

i like how your comment puts americans down for not liking 'foreign' sports but to start your comment you bash two sports foreing to your country football and baseball...hypocritical me thinks

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
NHL hockey is the first sport in North America as far as I am concerned. I couldn't care less about what some schmuck over at FOX might think.

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
We have this conversation every year.The NHL is a cult sport in the U.S.Just accept it and move on.It's their loss:dunno:

Oh I remember this nimrood, this Ian guy writing for the USAToday at the time of the Burtuzzi incident actually called for the NHL to ceace operataions and for Hockey to die. He loves the NFL and NBA but even the palace brawl didn't push him for the end of the sport. He is a worthless waste of what ever school of journalism he came out pay no mind............

look its going to take time, take it from someone on the other side and a true convert in the early 90s. Few dire hards will get their kids interested, rinks get built and this is most important the worlds best play here. Soccer has and maybe never will take off because the worlds best play elsewhere. there is no passion in the MLS games, unlike the 17K diehards at NHL arenas.

hockey is like the corner Bistro, you keep telling everyone you have to try it, the meals are fantastic. but most of the rubes pass and go to Aplebees for a lousy chicken sandwich. For us for now we have to be content and just enjoy what we have and don't worry about whats more popular, any dumb@ss writer has badmouthed the NHL when it has wanted too claiming that popularity=quality.

Last edited:

weezman

But on the youth level, hockey remains a far more regional pursuit in the U.S. than baseball, football and basketball.

Taken from the foxsports article. To me, this proves he just took the opportunity to pile onto hockey. It's US sports writers favorite hobby. How does it prove it? He didn't do any homework. He just took an opportunity to opine about 1980 as a way to validate the words below. As if he is some sort of expert or buddy of yours. "Listen, I know what I'm talking about. I watched hockey once.":shakehead

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
NHL hockey is the first sport in North America as far as I am concerned. I couldn't care less about what some schmuck over at FOX might think.

wow... no offense man... but no. If you are going to include mexico (since it is apart of north america) and I am sure many of them have never heard of Hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad