NHL Single season 50 Goal Scorers

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hakan Loob: The year after his 50 goal campaign, the Calgary fans and media really gave him a hard time when his numbers dropped the next year. `88-`89 was a magical season for the Flames, yet there was Loob, seemingly the lone underachiever on the team. I wonder if that had anything to do with his decision to go back to Europe.
I wouldn't say that was the case at all. I don't remember anyone giving Loob a particularly hard time

Flames had two high end scoring lines(pairs actually)

Gilmour-Mullen (Mullen was 1st team all star RW 88-89) 88goals
Nieuwendyk-Loob (Loob was 1st team all star RW 87-88)87 goals

only so many goals to go around . Loob was an incredible fan favorite in Calgary, and people were generally upset when he left (although the thought was he would be 'easily' replaced by Makarov who joined the team that next year....Flames wouldn't win another playoff round 'til 04

Shaun_W_W

Jan 7, 2007
Hey guys sorry to bump this but my friend and I were trying to figure something out and when I searched google this was the closest thing I found.

Is Bob Carpenter the first American to score 50 goals? He did it in 84-85 but just wondering if anyone beat him to it.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Adam Graves: Any Ranger fans here that can explain this one?

Not an NYR fan, but an NYR season ticket holder during that timeframe, as I lived in Manhattan at the time.

Graves' 52 that season is testament to the old phrase of "go to the net, good things will happen." Messier was dishing, Rangers were getting shots on net and Graves was either tipping them in or cashing in rebounds. The consummate team player, he was willing to pay the price in front.

Trottier and Bossy both had 50 (50+ in Bossy's case) in 1981-82, the greatest season in NYI franchise history, the dynasty at it's peak.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Not an NYR fan, but an NYR season ticket holder during that timeframe, as I lived in Manhattan at the time.

You had season tickets for a team that, theoretically, should have been your mortal enemy? Probably among the more expensive season tickets in the league as well...

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Did it often happen to have two 50 goals scorers on the same team? I know of EDM with Kurri and Gretz, ISL with Trottier and Bossy, MTL with Lafleur and Shutt, then Lafleur and Larouche, BOS with Espo and Hodge... But other than that? Surely PIT at some point...

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
larouche with pronovost, also. in '76

also bucyk in '71 with espo and hodge.

gretzky and nichols in '89.

gretzky and messier in '82.

gretzky, kurri and anderson in '84.

gretzky, kurri and anderson in '86 (coffey had 48).

fedorov and sheppard in '94.

barber and leach in '76.

hull and shanahan in '93.

mogilny and lafontaine in '93.

simmer and dionne in '80 and '81 (taylor had 47 in '81).

jagr and lemieux had 60 in '96.

lemieux and stevens in '93 (tocchet had 48)

carpenter and gartner in '85.

loob and nieuwendyk in '88 (bullard had 48).

nieuwendyk and mullen in '89.

Last edited:

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
You had season tickets for a team that, theoretically, should have been your mortal enemy? Probably among the more expensive season tickets in the league as well...

NHL hockey fan, first and foremost. If I could score season tickets to watch Thrashers games at 3am, I would. ;)

Lived uptown, just a quick subway ride from MSG, so it made sense. Picked a heck of a time to have those tickets, too. Irony of ironies is that there I was (along with my future wife) for Game Seven of the '94 Finals.

As an observer, moreso than a diehard, a surrealistic scene I will never, ever forget.

Last edited:

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
if anyone has the time they should revamp the info in this thread

Fortunately I can now "outsource" this to hockey-reference.com.

Link to up to date list

I'll add my standard disclaimer: these numbers are meaningless unless you consider the context.

Number of fifty-goal seasons by era

Decade|Seasons
1920s|0
1930s|0
1940s|1
1950s|0
1960s|5
1970s|31
1980s|76
1990s|55
2000s|17

Twenty or thirty goals in some eras may be more valuable than fifty goals in other eras.

Last edited:

thefifthsedin*

Alexander Mogilny

These guys are not 50-goal scorers except for one remarkable season

mogilny scored 55 one season in vancouver along his 76 in buffalo

he was very inconsistent over the years but no one can deny that he possessed some mad talent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad