Injury Report: NHL Season to be postponed

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Everyone is now looking for solutions. If not for Trump guaranteed there would be nothing this summer. Trump gives people hope. With UFC, PGA onside now and the NBA very close to Vegas/LA and MLB is gonna do a Florida league and an Arizona league. Those leagues have kinda leaked their plans out to press. When will NHL start to leak out plans?

What people would that be?

Reactions: Plat87 and Funk21

horner

May 22, 2007
What people would that be?
Yes I don't see hope from dumb Trump.
Iam very worried that he is not putting the right people in charge .
Christ he is lying about the testing.
He is having his name on the
Chqs that are being sent out ( no other President has done this ) .
He is playing with people's lives.
He's an idiot.

Reactions: Funk21 and Al14

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Trump has been giving out false hope for some time now, misleading at best, plain lying most of the time. This isn't going to be a good look, when these sports resume too early, and people involved start getting sick, or worse.
The NBA is working on the appropriate containment plan for their athletes. They will be isolated and quarantined in a hotel location close to where they will play games and practices. There will only be a TV crew and officials in da arena. Everyone will keep social distancing. There will be NO fans. It is likely da site will be Vegas summer league venues where virus is very low today. It is all about da $2.5B TV contract this year. But games will be played safely. And there will be no risk to public. You can either tune into da game or not- your choice.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The NBA is working on the appropriate containment plan for their athletes. They will be isolated and quarantined in a hotel location close to where they will play games and practices. There will only be a TV crew and officials in da arena. Everyone will keep social distancing. There will be NO fans. It is likely da site will be Vegas summer league venues where virus is very low today. It is all about da $2.5B TV contract this year. But games will be played safely. And there will be no risk to public. You can either tune into da game or not- your choice.
At this point Basketball will be better than nothing, I'll probably watch.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
At this point Basketball will be better than nothing, I'll probably watch.
Me too ... I am more likely to watch golf and our Raps. I got a feeling games will be played in late afternoon so they come in around 7 or 8 pm EST. and then a 10 or 11 pm game with west coast teams.
I think da NHL will come along but I am not sure how da economics work with TV only. In Canada it would be fine but i don't think any games will get played in Canada if they do play. I guess Sportsnet can send out a crew and quarantine them also in a close by US hotel. Hockey is a much harder one to figure out because of da economics. Da owners probably lose $$$ but da players would reduce the escrow true up if they play.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Me too ... I am more likely to watch golf and our Raps. I got a feeling games will be played in late afternoon so they come in around 7 or 8 pm EST. and then a 10 or 11 pm game with west coast teams.
I think da NHL will come along but I am not sure how da economics work with TV only. In Canada it would be fine but i don't think any games will get played in Canada if they do play. I guess Sportsnet can send out a crew and quarantine them also in a close by US hotel. Hockey is a much harder one to figure out because of da economics. Da owners probably lose $$$ but da players would reduce the escrow true up if they play.
If the games are neutral site, I would think they would need to go all day every day to fit them all in.
Similar to the early rounds of March Madness.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If the games are neutral site, I would think they would need to go all day every day to fit them all in.
Similar to the early rounds of March Madness.
Yep it is da only way. May 1 things open up in states. NBA players travel to quarantine sites. 2 weeks in isolation and then testing. 3 weeks of camp and things probably restart mid June. Much like PGA tour.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
You'll be surprised how much more fun and likeable this Raptors team is than the Leafs. I used to despise basketball. They won me over about a decade ago and I'm now a lifer fan.
I did watch some of the playoffs last year. I just can't get past the 80% of the game that has no meaning.
Also I find Jack Armstrong extremely annoying.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I did watch some of the playoffs last year. I just can't get past the 80% of the game that has no meaning.
Also I find Jack Armstrong extremely annoying.
I thought I was only one. I mean virtually every game is decided by last few minutes. and who makes da shots and who misses. But must admit I got on party roll with a bunch of friends with game watch parties after our Leafs were out. It was so much fun. Da Raps brought so much joy to city.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I thought I was only one. I mean virtually every game is decided by last few minutes. and who makes da shots and who misses. But must admit I got on party roll with a bunch of friends with game watch parties after our Leafs were out. It was so much fun. Da Raps brought so much joy to city.
Playoffs were fun, it’s the random Wednesday night game in January against Detroit that I struggle to find interest in.
At this point I’ll take anything though

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Some great news on Sportsnet:

Sports around the world are on pause due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but the PGA Tour is reportedly close to announcing a return to play.
According to Brian Wacker of Golf Digest, the PGA Tour intends to resume its season with the Charles Schwab Challenge in Fort Worth, Texas, on the weekend of June 11-14. The tournament would not be open to spectators and future events would also be closed to the public, Wacker reports.
An official announcement is expected this week.
“Tour officials discussed plans with the Players Advisory Council during a conference call on Tuesday,” Wecker reports. The fields for tournaments when they return will feature between 144 and 156 players, he adds.
Golf has already seen its calendar rewritten due to the pandemic. The British Open, originally scheduled for mid-July, has been cancelled for 2020, while the other three majors have all been pushed back to the fall.
“If the safest and/or the only way to [hold the PGA] is to do it without fans, we’re fully prepared to do that,” Seth Waugh, the CEO of the PGA of America, said Tuesday in a SirusXM interview. “We believe that having it as a television event is worth doing regardless of whether there’s fans there or not.”
According to Wecker, the RBC Canadian Open, originally scheduled for June 11-14, will be cancelled. After the Charles Schwab Challenge, the PGA schedule could look like this, he adds, citing sources with direct involvement in the discussions.
June 25-28: Travelers Championship, TPC River Highlands, Cromwell, Conn.
July 2-5: Rocket Mortgage Classic, Detroit Golf Club (Moves from May 28-31)
July 9-12: John Deere Classic, TPC Deere Run, Silvis, Ill.
July 16-19: Memorial Tournament, Muirfield Village G.C., Dublin, Ohio (Moves from June 4-7)
July 23-26: 3M Open, TPC Twin Cities, Blaine, Minn.
July 30-Aug. 2: WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational, TPC Southwind, Memphis (Moves from July 2-5)
July 30-Aug. 2: Barracuda Championship, Tahoe Mt. Club, Truckee, Calif. (Moves from July 2-5)
I'll believe it when they actually play, and that's with the understanding that golf is easier to bring back than most other sports. One positive test and they'll have to shut everything down.

Naturally they screwed the Canadian Open.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I'll believe it when they actually play, and that's with the understanding that golf is easier to bring back than most other sports. One positive test and they'll have to shut everything down.

Naturally they screwed the Canadian Open.
Actually I think it is one of harder sports to avoid COVID19. 160 players are coming from all over da world. The numbers of non golf people involved in monitoring/preparing/grounds crew for a round even without fans is quite large. Hole marshalls. PGA tour officials to make decisions. Caddies. TV crew to make it work-some holes and carry cameras and all people in truck for logistics on feed. Grounds crew on course-tee boxes, greens and water/cut grass. Clubhouse personnel for bathrooms lockers. Food service personnel for everyone. Easily 500 people per event. Now with size of area should be able to do social distancing. But much much easier playing a basketball hockey or soccer game where could be 75 or less people total involved on high end.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Honestly the idea of having neutral site, having players, staffs, boardcasters... all isolated in hotel and stadium... will work in theory but I doubt it will work in reality.

1. This is not a weekend thing, it will go on for two months- due to camp, playoffs and might even the remainder of the season.
2. Do you really think these players are all let’s do this for the fans and be isolated(like prison) for two months without seeing their families and NO SEX?
3. The players, staffs... will need to be tested daily to ensure they are not infected, is that really a good way to use COVID tests not to mention the difficulties of testing.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Honestly the idea of having neutral site, having players, staffs, boardcasters... all isolated in hotel and stadium... will work in theory but I doubt it will work in reality.

1. This is not a weekend thing, it will go on for two months- due to camp, playoffs and might even the remainder of the season.
2. Do you really think these players are all let’s do this for the fans and be isolated(like prison) for two months without seeing their families and NO SEX?
3. The players, staffs... will need to be tested daily to ensure they are not infected, is that really a good way to use COVID tests not to mention the difficulties of testing.
Not to mention player injuries. There could be a backlash from the public if they see a bunch of athletes getting treated in public hospitals, possibly ahead of Covid patients.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

It is gonna be tricky. Da NBA $$$ from TV is so big and no one wants to give it back so much more incentive to play through a terrible lifestyle. But NHL that TV $$$ is tiny so owners/players may decide it is not worth cost of playing.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

When they start hearing how much money they’ll lose staying at home, all of them will agree.

It’s your third point about the logistics that will make it incredibly difficult.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Not to mention player injuries. There could be a backlash from the public if they see a bunch of athletes getting treated in public hospitals, possibly ahead of Covid patients.

Exactly, I just don’t see how the general will react to this bc let’s face it, these Leagues want it to resume due to money and not the Love of the game. The moment one of them gets tested positive, it will be a S***storm.

It is gonna be tricky. Da NBA $$$ from TV is so big and no one wants to give it back so much more incentive to play through a terrible lifestyle. But NHL that TV $$$ is tiny so owners/players may decide it is not worth cost of playing.

If NBA is doing it, NHL is going to do it. But I have more faith in NBA players and Coaches banding together to say No than the NHLPA.

When they start hearing how much money they’ll lose staying at home, all of them will agree.

It’s your third point about the logistics that will make it incredibly difficult.

Personally, I think my second point is more valid, imagine these players and staffs are all being isolated in Vegas for two months. Wonder what they will do in their spare time with money and families.....Pretty sure I know what most of not all of them will be doing, maybe they can contain COVID but I doubt they can contain all the STDs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad