NHL refs feeling the financial pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feb 12, 2003
Source
So while the AHL, ECHL or maybe Europe (where some 200 NHL players have landed) could have beckoned, NHL on-ice officials decided to stay home.

"I've been asked that question by a lot of my friends, `Aren't there any other leagues you guys can ref in?''' says Van Massenhoven. ``But we just felt any time you go somewhere else to work that someone else must have been there before you.

"So we didn't feel our membership should be taking work away from people that needed it as much and maybe more than us.''

Funny how the refs feel that way, but none of the players had an issue with it. I must applaud the refs.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I was surprised the officials aren't being paid at all during the lockout. They were interviewing Mike Cvik on The Score and said that during 1994, they were getting 75% of their salary. Another possible sign that it could be a long time before we see NHL hockey again.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
It is a really nice gesture by ALL of the NHL refs to decide not to take someone else's job for one year, those refs in lower leagues might need it more anyway. These kind of actions put everything in perspective, some players had no trouble at all taking someone else's job while some players did prefer not to play and be helpful in other ways.

Go Flames Go*

Im glad they are feeling financial pain, they should fire them all together and get some new officials for the brand new nhl. It was evident more then ever after the screw job the Calgary Flames received in the stanley cup finals.

Im gonna challenge Kerry Frasier to a hair vs hair fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad